Quantcast

[+]=] stuck inside friday gfmt [=[+]

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Can't fatbike (too soft), can't mountain bike (too much snow), can't (xc) ski (too soft, I hate waxing for warm snow). Maybe I'll try and DH ski in spring-like conditions this weekend. Maybe.

Does anyone remember the British TV-show "The Day the Universe Changed" by James Burke? I've been looking for it on-line and can't find it... It might be too soon to watch it with the kids, but I'd like to watch it with them some day. I thought it was awesome, and no one seems to have done anything similar since (well, except for James Burke again, with Connections, and Connections 2, which I'd also like to have...)
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5378313/

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Dad is officially in the Old Folks home. Liquidating his House and Car. Stuff packed everywhere. My Brother is all gung ho. I am not. This whole process was rough. 4 years of pain. Over. No more trips to Buffalo or Philly. I wash my hands of it all at 4:30PM today. I see a lot more bike riding and waffles in my future....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Remember me talking about working in the field some? Yeah... shit just got real. One of our major local plans needs to have our service pitched and the guys who normally do the pitches will all be in Alaska and can't do the meeting. First meeting out and I'll be solo. This is a huge deal because it's a retention of business meeting.

I haven't done a client facing (vs. individual) meeting in a long time and I'm going in solo. I might get a little bit of direction, but it's more of a 'go do this, don't let us down' type deal. To hell with practicing with the minor league team, I'm getting pulled up to major league with 3 days warning. Properly bugging out right now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Remember me talking about working in the field some? Yeah... shit just got real. One of our major local plans needs to have our service pitched and the guys who normally do the pitches will all be in Alaska and can't do the meeting. First meeting out and I'll be solo. This is a huge deal because it's a retention of business meeting.

I haven't done a client facing (vs. individual) meeting in a long time and I'm going in solo. I might get a little bit of direction, but it's more of a 'go do this, don't let us down' type deal. To hell with practicing with the minor league team, I'm getting pulled up to major league with 3 days warning. Properly bugging out right now.
just walk in with your best top hat and monocle. they will be so impressed you won't need to light your cigar with a hundred dollar bill.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Just tell client to put all their $$ in gold.

You heard it here first.

:homer:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Swing for the fence. I mean, why not?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Sounds like your vitamins are spiked with some extra goodies. Care to share the brand with us? :D
Also, here's what I been eating,
21915.jpeg

better / worse / holding steady?
Holding steady at slightly above chaos. Lingering ptsd and health fears from the cancer have created a situation where it's hard to see anything positively. All things are mountains and social interaction is at an all time low. Could be worse. Kiddo is #1 priority.

Sounds tasty. Have you tried Girl Scout Cookies ?
Yes, can't comment on it though, I try a lot of strains and gsc hasn't been in the rotation in a long time.

Dad is officially in the Old Folks home. Liquidating his House and Car. Stuff packed everywhere. My Brother is all gung ho. I am not. This whole process was rough. 4 years of pain. Over. No more trips to Buffalo or Philly. I wash my hands of it all at 4:30PM today. I see a lot more bike riding and waffles in my future....
Dude what a big change, best to take a trip out west and reflect on the past and be in the moment!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yesterday I learned the scope of company downsizing and, while it hasn't been "announced" I am fairly certain I will be eliminated prior to 3rd quarter unless I accept a lateral move to some place that is not Montana. I'm really not interested in leaving so we'll see how this pans out.

In other news my sexy new rubber has arrived ahead of schedule with free shipping. I can recommend Art's Cyclery as a decent on line source for rubber.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yesterday I learned the scope of company downsizing and, while it hasn't been "announced" I am fairly certain I will be set free prior to 3rd quarter unless I accept a lateral move to some place that is not Montana. I'm really not interested in leaving so we'll see how this pans out.
Fixed that for you.

In other news my sexy new rubber has arrived ahead of schedule with free shipping. I can recommend Art's Cyclery as a decent on line source for rubber.
Rubbers? Send them to @Toshi - he sure could use them right about now. :D

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yesterday I learned the scope of company downsizing and, while it hasn't been "announced" I am fairly certain I will be eliminated prior to 3rd quarter unless I accept a lateral move to some place that is not Montana. I'm really not interested in leaving so we'll see how this pans out.
Ouch, sucks. Any idea where you might land next?

Rubbers? Send them to @Toshi - he sure could use them right about now. :D
:rimshot:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ouch, sucks. Any idea where you might land next?

:rimshot:
No idea, most of the opportunities are in highly populated suburbs of major cities which is exactly where I do not want to be. The quality of life I have here is worth more to me than money and moving is a bitch. I am well situated financially to retire early but health care costs are a concern.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Serial Midget : several colleagues either have recently or are in the process of relocating to BozAngeles, and I have remote coworkers in Montana. Where in the state IS the place to be? I like the idea of a big/small town like Bozeman, access to biking and skiing, some above average food and drink, etc.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
@Serial Midget : several colleagues either have recently or are in the process of relocating to BozAngeles, and I have remote coworkers in Montana. Where in the state IS the place to be? I like the idea of a big/small town like Bozeman, access to biking and skiing, some above average food and drink, etc.
For me the best mid size towns are Missoula and the Whitefish / Kalispell area. I feel Bozeman is overpriced but nearby Belgrade is affordable with the exact same access to the mountains. As for cost of living where I live in Great Falls is pretty low but I'm also 90 minutes away from decent mountain trails.

Also... dining out can be a challenge as the choices are limited, it's easy to get bored where I live. @Montana rider is more of a foodie than I and he seems happy with Bozeman's Restaurants.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
For me the best mid size towns are Missoula and the Whitefish / Kalispell area. I feel Bozeman is overpriced but nearby Belgrade is affordable with the exact same access to the mountains. As for cost of living where I live in Great Falls is pretty low but I'm also 90 minutes away from decent mountain trails.

Also... dining out can be a challenge as the choices are limited, it's easy to get bored where I live. @Montana rider is more of a foodie than I and he seems happy with Bozeman's Restaurants.
While there are plenty of "fancy" food options in Bozeman along with lots of "wrap" joints and tacos, there isn't much in between... but I'm more into cheap ethnic food options.

You don't move to Montana for the gardening or food...

But back to the question, with skiing, biking and food/cultural options as your baseline requirements:

Helena (they have the longest riding season and enough population/the Capitol to have good food/culture)
Whitefish/Kallispell (I really like the looks of this area though I think it may be a bit too conservative for my taste)

Missoula (probably too big city for my tastes, but good riding/food)
BZN (RENT [mortgage] is TOO DAMN HIGH, get off my lawn, nothing to see here, move on...)

Great Falls (affordable, SM likes it, you can drink in a bar with an octagenarian mermaid)
Butte (affordable, SM liked it, you can get punched in a bar by an octagenarian)
Billings (front range, which unlike CO is for the most part the suck in MT)

Not big enough towns for year round culture not already mentioned with primo outdoor access and worthy to consider if working remotely and/or wealthy

Red Lodge
Cooke City
Big Sky/West Yellowstone area (i.e. including Idaho)
Dillon area