Quantcast

Studded tires from 45NRTH

I just got two new Wrathchild tires for the Moonlander. After an under ten mile trip hauling a Bob trailer with chainsaw and whatnot, I was missing one or two studs. I just ordered more studs and an insert tool; we'll see how this progresses, but I'm not left with a really good first impression.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
New studs should be ridden a certain amount of miles on hard terrain like paths, roads, etc., to set the studs. I forget how many miles, but I didn't do this after studding my tires and lost about 15 or so out of my Johnny 5 tires. After 3 or so rides, the loss stabilized and I haven't lost one since. For those I did replace, I used a bit of silicone in the hole to help seat them better. They don't grip worth crap on rocks, most of our trails are roots if they are not icy/snowy, so we don't have to deal with that. Rocks is going to be a hell of a scary ride on studded tires.

Last edited:
New studs should be ridden a certain amount of miles on hard terrain like paths, roads, etc., to set the studs. I forget how many miles, but I didn't do this after studding my tires and lost about 15 or so out of my Johnny 5 tires. After 3 or so rides, the loss stabilized and I haven't lost one since. For those I did replace, I used a bit of silicone in the hole to help seat them better. They don't grip worth crap on rocks, most of our trails are roots if they are not icy/snowy, so we don't have to deal with that. Rocks is going to be a hell of a scary ride on studded tires.
Thanks.

I have a lot of miles with studs on rocks and it's just another mode of riding.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd read the same as JM commented, need to ride some miles on pavement before venturing onto other surfaces.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
have you guys reached out to QBP on this? if it's a widespread issue they may issue a recall.
Yeah, studs ain’t cheap. We had only one small section of ice on Saturday, but the rolling resistance from the temp and snow was brutal. Thick air at -10 too.