Quantcast

Student working abroad programs anyone done one?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I;m thinking of going to Australia for a year when i turn 18 in april. There's a really good program for it. They give you a 1 year working visa, but you have to find your own work while traveling around Australia.
Has anyone done this type of thing, not just in australia but anywhere?
If you have, how did u like it ect?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
my friend did one, her program was for england, you pay like $1000 or something and they sort out your visa and then also help with housing and job placement.
she said they were really helpful, but i dont know...

If theyre not gonna help you find a job, is their only purpose to secure you a working visa for a year? how much are they charging for that?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You are talking about a working holiday visa. I guess most Americans wouldn't have done one as they tend to be on a reciprocal basis. Canadians can go to Australia, Australians can go to Canada. Lots of Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians and Poms here in Japan on working holiday visas. You are "supposed" to only work at a job for a few months then move on but no-one is really gonna give you grief if you stay at the one job for 6-8 months. There will literally be thousands of links on the net concerning working holiday visas in Australia. You'll have a ball. Go to Western Australia.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Dirty said:
my friend did one, her program was for england, you pay like $1000 or something and they sort out your visa and then also help with housing and job placement.
she said they were really helpful, but i dont know...

If theyre not gonna help you find a job, is their only purpose to secure you a working visa for a year? how much are they charging for that?
Yeah thats exactly it!, they have one for the UK to. They will give u suggestions for jobs and put u in the right direction. They don;t however garentee a job for you. It sounds really good from what i;ve seen so far.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
valve bouncer said:
You are talking about a working holiday visa. I guess most Americans wouldn't have done one as they tend to be on a reciprocal basis. Canadians can go to Australia, Australians can go to Canada. Lots of Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians and Poms here in Japan on working holiday visas. You are "supposed" to only work at a job for a few months then move on but no-one is really gonna give you grief if you stay at the one job for 6-8 months. There will literally be thousands of links on the net concerning working holiday visas in Australia. You'll have a ball. Go to Western Australia.
Cool, I;m pretty sure i;m going to do it. As soon as i turn 18 that is in a few months. April actaully, I just need to get out of this lil town for a bit and it might help me figure out what i want to do with my life.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
JMAC said:
Yeah thats exactly it!, they have one for the UK to. They will give u suggestions for jobs and put u in the right direction. They don;t however garentee a job for you. It sounds really good from what i;ve seen so far.
A thousand bucks for something you can and should do by yourself. This shouts scam to me, run- far away.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
valve bouncer said:
A thousand bucks for something you can and should do by yourself. This shouts scam to me, run- far away.
Except for the fact that it's run by some major schools in Canada and the Gov. Also I;m not sure how much it costs yet, waiting for the info pack. Basically they just get it all organized for you. Yes I could do it myself but the benefit is you'll be flying there with ppl who are doing the same thing as you, so you're not totally alone.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
JMAC said:
Except for the fact that it's run by some major schools in Canada and the Gov. Also I;m not sure how much it costs yet, waiting for the info pack. Basically they just get it all organized for you. Yes I could do it myself but the benefit is you'll be flying there with ppl who are doing the same thing as you, so you're not totally alone.
Oh well, your money mate, but I'm sure once you get to Australia you'll be wishing you had that coin in your pocket rather than someone elses.

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
I've done it, and I'm still here :love: Reason I came here to the U.S was to study in 1988, I studied Journalism at UCLA (extension) , and I also studied Script writing. Later on I studied at M.I.T, Musicians Institute of Technology in Hollywood ,CA, speacializing in Guitar, (G.I.T) ......The real reason I moved here was we were playing the Hollywood club scence back in the late 80's and early 90's :D

But if you were studying, the Swedish government gave you money, so it was an easy choice.

Do it man! The best lesson you'll EVER learn in life is to travel and experience different culture. You will NEVER regret it.

16 years in the U.S and never looked back. Came when I was 20.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
JMAC said:
<snip> but the benefit is you'll be flying there with ppl who are doing the same thing as you, so you're not totally alone.
This, IMO, is not a benefit. If you're going to travel abroad get *away* from the people doing the same - otherwise you risk simply having a "party in a foreign country" experience instead of a "stranger in a strange land" experience.

My wife and I traveled to Munich on a summer-long Europe trip and when we walked into the Hoffbrau Haus we had a beer and then left - there were almost no Germans there. Aussies, Canadians, and Americans - but few Germans. At all the other brau hauses we visited we sat with locals, talked with locals, and drank beer with locals........ I think you'll have a richer experiece away from travelers from your own country/region.

YMMV.

-S.S.-

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
This, IMO, is not a benefit. If you're going to travel abroad get *away* from the people doing the same - otherwise you risk simply having a "party in a foreign country" experience instead of a "stranger in a strange land" experience.

My wife and I traveled to Munich on a summer-long Europe trip and when we walked into the Hoffbrau Haus we had a beer and then left - there were almost no Germans there. Aussies, Canadians, and Americans - but few Germans. At all the other brau hauses we visited we sat with locals, talked with locals, and drank beer with locals........ I think you'll have a richer experiece away from travelers from your own country/region.

YMMV.

-S.S.-
Yeah I think you're on to something. I'm going to look into both ways of doing it. I;m hoping that I can finish, somehow, 3 semesters before next october. I'm going to have to do classes over the xmas break and summer. It would be awesome if I could get it all lined up so I was off tio Uni as soon as I get back from australia.

Also from what I read about other ppls vacations was that it wasn;t really just partying. Like ppl would stay together at the beginning but spilt up once they had organised stuff , jobs ect.

I would want to have my first job lined up before I left and it would be to cool if I could get one in a bike shop lol. I wonder

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
SkaredShtles said:

YMMV.

-S.S.-
Also LoL I've been to that exact Hoffbrau Haus In Munich and it's sooo true it's all tourists lol.