Quantcast

Stump Grinder DC - Trail Work Days

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Hello Monkeys! :busted:

On New Years Day we had 163 people show up at the SGDC to ride our soon to be private mountain bike club! They even paid to be there, WOW, mountain bikers willing to pay to play, our sport must be evolving! Starting in June the SGDC will be open so to get ready for that as well as the NMBS event in May and the other two regional level events to be held before then (www.ridesb.com) we are starting our aggressive trail work schedule now.

We will continue to post SGDC Trail Work Days here all year. If you don't know where the SGDC is, it is in Northern Santa Barbara County near Los Olivos, CA off of Zaca Station Road and you can find a map here http://www.ridesb.com/syvclassic_mapdirections.htm. So the way this works is that if you show up and work, really work on the trails between 8 AM and 12 PM, then you can ride from 12 - 4 PM.

So this next weekend we're going to have two trail work days, with equal workforces doing time on both the NEW DH ROUTE (needs a lot of features built, we have tree rounds and 3 tons of broken concrete slab to use up!) and the XC trails. :clapping:

On Saturday the 19th Erick from NEMA will be leading the charge on the NEW DH Route and Tony (Gambo) will be leading the charge on the XC. Then on Sunday the 20th I'll be around to designate trail work leaders. Again the way this works is that if you show up and work, really work on the trails between 8 AM and 12 PM, then you can ride from 12 - 4 PM.

So all you local 805 monkeys plan your weekend now! Hope that you can make it. And if your out of the area and want to be here contact me and we could work out camping for you maybe. Please bring your own tools, water, food and your riding stuff.

Thx, :lighten:

Hecktone

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'll be there Saturday...maybe Sunday too.

Does Erick already have ideas for stuff on the course, or are we going to plan as we go? I have some ideas.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
I'll be there Saturday...maybe Sunday too.

Does Erick already have ideas for stuff on the course, or are we going to plan as we go? I have some ideas.
I have few ideas, possibly rerouting the course that was cut for New Years so that we can add
1) Larger drops
2) Stair steps
3)Large rock garden

The goal is to not just have it run along side the mountain.
I want to take advantage of having help on Sat. so we may just end up gathering rocks, logs, etc for the first half of the morning, and building 1-2 sections in the 2nd half.

What are you thinking?

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
yes, i have seen the current trail. i would have preferred to spend a day before the work day to possibly change the direction (which may still happen), but I can't get out there before Sat.. I'm not convinced that it's even cut exactly were it needs to be. There may be a better(more technical) route down the hill.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Yeah. I'll show you my ideas later today for the current trail, even though we may not use those parts. I'm going to go take some photos.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
yes, i have seen the current trail. i would have preferred to spend a day before the work day to possibly change the direction (which may still happen), but I can't get out there before Sat.. I'm not convinced that it's even cut exactly were it needs to be. There may be a better(more technical) route down the hill.
Erick that is why I brought you on ... to make it as good as it can be with the hills we have to work with. The concreet slabs will make great stairs, or filler for birms ...

I will not be there Saturday, so it's all in your hands, I trust you, just wear your leadership hat and take charge. thx. :clapping:

|S2|

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Ventura
"more technical" sounds great. So Cal needs some courses that don't give a trailbike an advantage.
I can't get out there this Saturday, but I look forward to helping soon.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Alex, I got the PM, it sounds great! Nights are tough, after being out at work all day my wife tosses my two kids at me, 2.5 years and 2 months, and I put on my daddy hat.

I'll try to call you tonight.

mh
No worries man, I totally understand! :) I know how it is to be very busy, that is usually me with work.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Erick that is why I brought you on ... to make it as good as it can be with the hills we have to work with. The concreet slabs will make great stairs, or filler for birms ...

I will not be there Saturday, so it's all in your hands, I trust you, just wear your leadership hat and take charge. thx. :clapping:
I'M ON IT!! There is a ton of potential, I'm excited to help.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Got a ?. Can you guys give out instructions to people with no trail building experience? I might be able to make it up there with my brother as well. Neither one of us though have any dirt skills LOL.

Also once work is done, how's it work getting up to the top? Do you guys have to push your bikes up or you're able to shuttle up/down it via some sort of access road? I have a single cab pickup so I have room for bikes, but no room for people. I am curious how this all works.

I'll keep in touch on this one. If I can't make it Saturday I'm going to try for Sunday.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Got a ?. Can you guys give out instructions to people with no trail building experience? I might be able to make it up there with my brother as well. Neither one of us though have any dirt skills LOL.

Also once work is done, how's it work getting up to the top? Do you guys have to push your bikes up or you're able to shuttle up/down it via some sort of access road? I have a single cab pickup so I have room for bikes, but no room for people. I am curious how this all works.

I'll keep in touch on this one. If I can't make it Saturday I'm going to try for Sunday.
No trail building experience needed. We won't be building berms or anything like that. Just helping move dirt, logs, rocks, etc.

You currently shuttle to the top up a public road. Mike wants to build the DH runs on a side of the ranch that you shuttle on the ranch property and don't have to deal with getting tickets for bikes and/or riders hanging out the back of your truck.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I might have an extra headlock.........a long one I think. You could always use a socket and tap the star nut in.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Would a long headlock be long for a Pike on a chameleon with a diabolous stem? Maybe I'll try a socket.

Would you trade your silver CK headset for a black one with like half the use? :D

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Would a long headlock be long for a Pike on a chameleon with a diabolous stem? Maybe I'll try a socket.

Would you trade your silver CK headset for a black one with like half the use? :D
The long headlock would work possibly for something like your bullet with the dual crown fork. I had a long on my M1 with my shiver before I cut down the steer tube (had a ton of spacers) and had to get a shorter one.

I should update my for sale stuff.........I sold that headset a while ago :shocked:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Haha. I need a spanner to get these damn clips off...and didn't make it to the hardware store...so I'll just do that monday, I guess. They should have just used E clips.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Not a spanner wrench, you'll see them in a tool store, they are snap ring pliers. E-clips are nice because you can pry them off, but snap rings are much more secure.

They are cheap, $5-10 with a extra set of tips.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Hey thanks goes out to Erick, Lee, Tony, Zark and Pat for finding a great new route for the DH, and for coming back on Sunday to start working on it! :clapping:

As the "Land Manager" of the Stump Grinder DC I need to bring up a couple of things, because, in the end, I'm the one responsible for this. :imstupid:

1. You're green lighted to build it, but please don't block or obstruct the natural flow of drainage in the ravine in any way, as this can cause water build up and flooding.

2. Any tree limbs that are cut need to be disposed of by harvesting the wood to build features and dragging the brush down to the bottom so that my tree crew can chip it up and take it off site. We don't want anyone to see fresh cut brush laying around on the ground, we need to have this area appear as natural as possible. Nice flush chainsaw cuts don't look natural. Also make sure to cut all paint marks off the trees or flush your cuts below the paint mark.

3. Please don't use the brush as filler to build features, use the wood for that, make your retaining walls sustainable. I saw one swithcback, built with brush, in a very unsustainable manner, that I bet is gone after this weeks rain. Why build something wrong to just have to build it right again, build it correctly the first time, in the long run it's a time saver. If you need T-Steaks and some lumber, ask me as I have the product and the tools to do a wall correctly.

Other than those few points, bring it on, and let's get it done. :monkeydance:

It looks like rain off and on this week, with it ending on Saturday. So let's plan on having a trail work day this Sunday the 28th. Please bring your own tools, and your riding stuff, as if you get there at 8 and work until 12ish you can ride until 4 pm.

So let's see a huge group of DH riders there to build this awesome new DH run! :lighten:

Thanks,

Hecktone

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
poison oak warning! The canyon has a good amount of that evil stuff down there. use caution and bring technu! I got worked with the stuff.
I'm really excited for the new route. It looks like it is going to amazingly fun to ride.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I got some poison oak too...

I'm not even sure if I want to go to the race... :twitch:

I'm going to take pictures of the course and draw out what we are planning to do...so we have a set guide.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
I got some poison oak too...

I'm not even sure if I want to go to the race... :twitch:

I'm going to take pictures of the course and draw out what we are planning to do...so we have a set guide.
not sure why, but this is damn funny :D :D
poor poor pat :D stop rolling around in poison oak :D

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
We're shooting for Saturday and Sunday to do more digging. We now have an Excel based calendar for the SGDC up on ridesb.com ... http://www.ridesb.com/sgdc_activities_files/sgdc2008_calendar.htm.

I was out there Monday and it was really wet, and the new DH route was a creek, maybe a river at some point during the storm.

BRING A FRIEND, as well as tools, food, and your bike in case it's dry enough to ride after we work! But BRING A FRIEND for sure.

Thanks,

mh

m-dub

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
Hey Mike,
The forcast is calling for showers on Fri. and Sun. but we all know no one can predict the weather :) Lets hope for sun. MW

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm going to try to make it out on Sat. But I'm so freakin beatup right now. My hip looks like a mule kicked me :(

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
I'm going to try to make it out on Sat. But I'm so freakin beatup right now. My hip looks like a mule kicked me :(
Was that Fred Chamberlin's mule? Saturday is the day, we're all going to work on the new DH, starting with stuff up top or just above the ravine. I'll have chain saws to so that we can clear all the dead fall in the ravine as well.

No bikes this time everyone, just working, it'll be too wet to ride. But bring one or two to test the new feature we build.

mh