Quantcast

stumpjumper vs 575

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm kinda thinking out loud here, but also open to advice if anyone cares to offer...

First off...
I live in central NY... trails here are rooty and fairly technical... no 2+mile climbs here like out west, but also not a lot of flat ground... always going up or coming down.

Background...
I had a Yeti 575 that I ABSOLUTELY loved. Until I cracked the frame. I discovered the crack early this past season and with 3 races on the schedule, I was in a pinch to find a replacement. My thinking was that I'd take advantage of Yeti's crash replacement to get a new 575 frame, so I'd buy a racier bike for racing and to get me through until I got the new frame. I ended up with a Niner Air 9. Yeti wasn't as cooperative as I was hoping (unrealistic expectations more than bad service, but that's for another thread)... so I've still got a cracked 575 and I've been riding the Air 9 all season.

The Air 9 is a great bike, just not well suited to my type of riding and my local trails... at least not as an every day trail bike. So I'm back looking at replacements for the 575.

Options...
Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon
Pros: carbon frame, lifetime frame warranty, decent build, can get through a good LBS
Cons: no travel adjust in the fork, unknown ride quality (though I'm sure it's great), pricey

Yeti 575 frame replacement
Pros: known ride (awesome), significantly cheaper
Cons: 2yr frame warranty, need a few other bits to make the conversion happen, but still probably 1/2 the price of the Spec.

Those are the leading candidates right now, and I doubt I'll look at other options. If I go with the SJ, I can swap the stock fork for the fork on my current Yeti (150mm TALAS). I could also sell a few parts from my old Yeti to offset some of the cost... but I doubt this would be significant.

If I go with the Yeti, I know what I'm getting, I know I'll love it, but I have a pretty sour taste in my mouth with the warranty/support/replacement process. Again, it's more my unrealistic expectations than it is Yeti's support, but it is what it is.

I ride A LOT, so I don't mind spending the money if it means I'll be happier longer. I've cheaped out before and in the long run just end up spending more... so I'd rather do it right the first time. Though like most people, I don't want to spend more than I have to.

So that part of the conversation is pretty straight forward. The complication comes when I start thinking about the Air 9. I could sell it and that would go a long way towards covering the additional cost of the SJ, or completely cover the cost of the 575. But I'm a firm believer in not selling gear that is already paid for... it's not costing you anything to own, and at some point you'll want it back.

So, put yourself in my shoes. Would you go with the Spec or the 575? Would you sell the Air 9 or keep it?

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
can only comment on my experience with the Stumpy Pro I have since 2010.
It's a nice bike! The pro having the brain technology kill a bit of the feeling the bike could have, if I compare with the previous Stumpy I rode for 5 years. It works, no question on that, but sometime I feel that the bike would show more vivacity without the Brain. (That's documented on many reviews) But at 140mm the bike satisfied my needs. It's also a compromise of the weight you want to carry on while climbing versus what you need while descending. Only you can tell for yourself.

Specialized customer service: with my 2005 Stumpy, in the first weeks, I got a little problem with the S-link and frame had to be changed. I have been treated like a king by Specialized Canada which I dealed with directly. My 2010 stumpy cracked after 3 years. Specialized USA have been great as well, even replacing the 3 years old shock which was due for servicing this winter. It got replaced with a never model with the from triangle in carbon. I have been asked to take responsibility for compatibility issue (bottom bracket adapter, headset adapter + headset bearing which were due anyway) which I got happy with. Oh and I also got some problem with the Brain in the first season which got replaced without any question.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the Stumpy. Would I buy again? Most likely, but after 8 seasons riding a Specialized, I'm pretty sure I would go try some other technology like VPP or DW-Link, but that nothing against Specialized which I'm very satisfied with. Still on deciding if I keep the bike with the new frame or benefit from it and selling it at a good price

Good luck
Y.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Everything you said about Spec service/support is a BIG reason why I'm considering it. I also have a really good shop that sells Spec, so it's win/win in that regard. The yeti would definitely be cheaper, and more of a known commodity, but I don't like the support I've gotten from them with the crash replacement (crash replacement price is the same price I can buy the frame at Jenson). It's a small thing, but service is a big deal to me.

kgm

Chimp
Nov 11, 2012
co
Do you expect to charge less? Jensonusa is infamous for selling **** at cost to diminish the competition.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Do you expect to charge less? Jensonusa is infamous for selling **** at cost to diminish the competition.
Yes, I expect their crash replacement program to be a better price than what I would pay retail through one of their authorized retailers.