Quantcast

Stunts on Boyscout??

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
It looks like someone has been building or resurrecting some stunts on Boyscout. I might be off base here, but is'nt that a big no-no :nope: ?? Especially concidering all the slack the land owner has cut us? No offense to the builder, but they looked pretty rag-tag as well, stunts will piss off a land manager, poorly built ones are an outright slap in the face. It didn't look like a very major operation, just a couple of ladders and some little a-frame type thing. Maybe I'm off base here and have'nt heard any news and something has changed to where the land owner has said "yea go-ahead and build here" (yeah right!) :rolleyes:. Boyscout is a really good example of co-operation between our community and a land owner, let's not end that. If you're a-buildin' PLEASE STOP!! If you know the people doing it PLEASE TELL THEM TO STOP. I don't think it's any major offence, YET. Check out this board, and others... The road up toSDF being closed...Don't shuttle UCSC..Calibasas fensed off.. etc..Let's not let one of these threads get started about Pacifica. As most of you know, we won't be getting any support form the residence living on Higgins.

I don't mean to hop up on a soap box, but Boyscout is a really fun way to end a ride on Montera, and it would really suck to have to take mile down to the paved road to the car :think:

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
yeah i saw some of those ladders and such and they have been taken down to make part of a landing for a jump. and it would suck if that trail got shut down.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
ZEDMAN said:
yeah i saw some of those ladders and such and they have been taken down to make part of a landing for a jump. and it would suck if that trail got shut down.
The one I saw was where the doubles are about half way down the run. One ladder had been used to bridge a double :confused: I think it's pretty minor stuff, and I know there has been stuff there in the past, so for all I know someone could have pulled it out of the bushes. The thing that caught my attention was about 4-6 freshly cut limbs, just right for side beams of a ladder all layed out in a row with some other misc. stuff, like someone was setting up shop.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
snutty said:
the ladders are all broken down...when i was there on satruday...that new big double is still there tho
werent we told not to build stunts or ladders or whatever you want to call them or did i misunderstand that? can we build just dirt jumps or not build anything at all?

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
Rules of Use.
1. All use shall be recreational only; no commercial use shall occur.
2. Use shall occur only during that period commencing one hour after sunrise and and ending one hour before sunset.
3. There shall be no use of motorized vehicles of any kind on the Property.
4. There shall be no construction of trails or modification of the Property by mechanical or other means.
5. Every user shall take away anything brought onto the Property at the time of such use.
6. No vegetation shall be removed and there shall be no hunting or carrying of weapons, no fires shall be lit and there shall be no camping.
7. Use of the Property involving bicycles or other non-motorized vehicles may occur only after execution by a participating user or responsible adult, if the user is a minor, of the hold harmless agreement available at Gearhead Bicycles, 5435 Coast Highway, Pacifica, CA.
8. Use of the Property shall not interfere with the owners' prospective residential occupancy of the Property, and shall be subject to such limitations on areas of access necessary to prevent any such interference, as may be indicated in the future by signage and/or barriers on the Property.

"The most important part of the rules is #4. ABSOLUTELY no new construction! Trail maintenance and new construction can only take place on designated maintenance days and with the clearance of the owner only!"

ppl who are building :nuts: :nope:

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
MVRIDER said:
The one I saw was where the doubles are about half way down the run. One ladder had been used to bridge a double :confused: I think it's pretty minor stuff, and I know there has been stuff there in the past, so for all I know someone could have pulled it out of the bushes. The thing that caught my attention was about 4-6 freshly cut limbs, just right for side beams of a ladder all layed out in a row with some other misc. stuff, like someone was setting up shop.
So not cool. The next time I am there I'll pull the remnants of the old stuff further off the trail so no one is tempted to set them back up.

Nelson's is a gem. Please build dirt jumps only, and only with permission from the owners.

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
El Santo said:
So not cool. The next time I am there I'll pull the remnants of the old stuff further off the trail so no one is tempted to set them back up.

Nelson's is a gem. Please build dirt jumps only.
your not suppose to build anything at all at boyscouts unless you get permission from the owners

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
snutty said:
your not suppose to build anything at all at boyscouts unless you get permission from the owners
Right, and again, what I saw looked like pretty small time stuff, but just in case, I think we should put out the fire before it gets started. I didn't see any new jumps, but didn't really look either. Just the small ladder and a-frame thingy.

D

Dingus McGee

I love Boyscouts.
But on another topic, pls don't undo Dreyzar's good work with the property owner by building flimsy, unfunctional eucalyptus stunts...they suck and make us look bad. Everyone I know who rides there will not think twice about tearing them down, so save the effort and pack out some trash instead.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
BTW after a ride a while back, the lady house w/ small gravel parking space (driveway goes down) right across from the exits of boyscout, was freaking out cleaning up trash and complaining about peeps riding through the gravel.

Lets show respect out there for the neighbors and help clean up some of the trash where people park too.

I can't wait to ride there again, it been awhile!

Happy riding ya'll

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
I was up there today and that crap to make that new double a half table has kind of been taken down, but those quarter-ass northshore stuff were leaning up against stumps. It just doesn't look like mountain bikers are doing what they are suposed to be doing, building stuff and such

Apr 15, 2004
Foster City/Shells
Thank you guys for spotting and addressing this issue. It's good to see that the majority of us are concerned about access and good relationships with landowners. Let's keep this as good as it is right now and not jeopardize it by building when we're not supposed to. Ladders are fun, but this is currently not the place to do it.
On the other hand, why don't they build at Dropzone/Pines? Last I checked there were big piles of concrete chunks and things like that; the LBS said that it was okay to build there, but things could get torn down at any time. Maybe we could build something there at ground level? Make it moveable but stable, something that can be put aside if the bulldozers come back. Just a thought.

D

Dingus McGee

mtbfreerider182 said:
Thank you guys for spotting and addressing this issue. It's good to see that the majority of us are concerned about access and good relationships with landowners. Let's keep this as good as it is right now and not jeopardize it by building when we're not supposed to. Ladders are fun, but this is currently not the place to do it.
On the other hand, why don't they build at Dropzone/Pines? Last I checked there were big piles of concrete chunks and things like that; the LBS said that it was okay to build there, but things could get torn down at any time. Maybe we could build something there at ground level? Make it moveable but stable, something that can be put aside if the bulldozers come back. Just a thought.

word.