Quantcast

stunts

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Here's the deal: I finally convinced my parents to let me build some stuff in the beck of my yard. There's about 1/3 of an acre of not-real-dense trees, and I have to stay within that area. The whole place is on a very slight downhill slope. Anyway, I need some ideas for stunts that are easy to build and pretty durable. Any suggestions? Keep in mind that I'm new to riding bridges and that kind of stuff. Could someone post some photos of their backyard stunts? Also, I need basic structural advice, i.e. how to make them nice and sturdy. Again, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
Only a matter of time until they wiggle loose. Pre drill, and nail works OK, But predrill, then screw....that's the ticket. Also works for building bridges. :D Use natural stuff whenever possible.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm totally stoked, we're moving to a "mobile home" on some old people's property, they're pretty cool and I think I can get away with building something like a dual slalom course. :D Plus with the money we save in rent I can afford more bike stuff again.

Sorry I just wanted to share, about your yard I'd build some dirt jumps, maybe set up a wall ride and if you've got something that would work as a natural tranny you could try building some ladder drops.

As far as structure goes try to build everything in triangles. If you see an open square or rectangle somewhere consider a crossbrace. Use real lumber don't mickey mouse around using pallets, that wood is crap. Dirt piles should be on the ground, pack it down as you build, don't dig holes where you'll fall in them if you crash.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
...build jumps.
That was my original plan, but I tried digging, and the dirt is terrible. On top, the dirt is decomposed pine needles. And under that, it's super rocky.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I went around to a bunch of construction sites and grabbed all the scrap wood they would pile up next to the curb on Fridays. It was a ton of 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, 4x4, 4x8 type scraps from about a foot long to 6 foot. 3 or 4 truck loads later, we were in business (all for free and legal too).

I used the longer 2x4's as sides, used all the short 2x4's for rungs, then built a ton of stands (kinda like saw horses) out of the heavy stuff. The setup was all modular with ladders ranging from 8" wide to 18" wide and 3' to 6' in length.

We could arrange them into all types of lines with all types of routes. We did it in a small back yard, so you could change it up. We made a few drops, used 2x6's (to start) as skinnies between ladders and up/down ramps, did step ups, all kinds of stuff.

So if your space is a little limited, this allows you to create all types of lines for practice. I used drywall screws and lag bolts and it was all very solid.