Quantcast

Stupid Airplane Rules

Well, my girlfriend and I just got back from Maui this morning and I've come to the conclusion that some of the "on-board" procedures are just plain idiocy. On the other hand vacation was superb!! Awesome snorkeling, saw a couple of huge turtles, tons of big ass fish, did a little sport fishing (with no real luck though - skip jack, mahi and an ono). Unfortunately the place is getting super commercialized - just way too many people.

Now to the plane rant:

1) Why should my seat be in the full up right position while taking off and landing? If the damn plane crashes will it really matter?!? :mumble: Let me die with some comfort will ya? Instead my head's all tilted forward and jacking up my neck.

2) When in business class, why shouldn't I be able to have the little foot rest thingy down in addition to having my seat reclined while taking off and landing?

3) The tray table thing I can kind of see, but again, if the plane's going down, I fail to see the relevance.

And for god sake, if you're on a red eye flight and feel compelled to use your laptop as a music jukebox, use a fvcking pair of headphones!!! :redhot: :bomb:

Rant over...

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
yup, seeing as i have 28 hours of travel ahead of me fairly soon, i'll second all of that. but i would like to add my two cents about screaming children: if you don't buy a ticket for them, they should be counted as carry-on luggage. overhead bin? i could quote bill hicks here, but i won't...just a little too cruel and unusual.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
surfinguru said:
And for god sake, if you're on a red eye flight and feel compelled to use your laptop as a music jukebox, use a fvcking pair of headphones!!! :redhot: :bomb:

Rant over...
'oh no... sorry, i seem to have spilled my bourbon and coke on your laptop'....

i understand your rant... i hate frackin planes... on the POS this thursday (glad to arrive - but loathe the flight / airport)...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
surfinguru said:
if you're on a red eye flight and feel compelled to use your laptop as a music jukebox, use a fvcking pair of headphones!!!
:stupid:

1) Why should my seat be in the full up right position while taking off and landing? If the damn plane crashes will it really matter?!? :mumble: Let me die with some comfort will ya? Instead my head's all tilted forward and jacking up my neck.

2) When in business class, why shouldn't I be able to have the little foot rest thingy down in addition to having my seat reclined while taking off and landing?

3) The tray table thing I can kind of see, but again, if the plane's going down, I fail to see the relevance.
:nopity:

Suck it up princess. Some things don't make sense in life, I'm sure that the 10 minutes of airplane travel that require you to have the seat in an upright position are really having lasting impacts on your life.

As for the tray thing. You use a tray to place objects on (most often food and drink). During take off and landing there is the chance of a lot of turbulence, causing items placed on the tray to fall off. The idea is that by putting the tray up idiots are less likely to put their hot Starbucks coffee on the tray, causing painful burns to the laps of their screaming children and obnoxious neighbours. It is a safety and liability issue....as with everything else in this stupid world :mumble:

The Ito

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I just hope in August I don't have to politely repeat the phrase "Shut the fvck up" to someones wife/significant other again like I did on my last plane ride to CO.

The rules aren't that big of an inconvenience.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What pissed me off was when I flew to Disneyland with my Crank Bros. tool in my backpack. I went through security at PDX without issue (I didn't know it was in there) but when I went through LAX, they took it!

Because you know I could take down a plane with a set of allen keys and a chain breaker. :rolleyes:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
stevew said:
I just hope in August I don't have to politely repeat the phrase "Shut the fvck up" to someones wife/significant other again like I did on my last plane ride to CO.

The rules aren't that big of an inconvenience.
:rofl: I remember that thread.:thumb:

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
surfinguru said:

It's got to be the work of NORBA :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
surfinguru said:
Well, my girlfriend and I just got back from Maui this morning and I've come to the conclusion that some of the "on-board" procedures are just plain idiocy. On the other hand vacation was superb!! Awesome snorkeling, saw a couple of huge turtles, tons of big ass fish, did a little sport fishing (with no real luck though - skip jack, mahi and an ono). Unfortunately the place is getting super commercialized - just way too many people.

Now to the plane rant:

Rant over...
Uh, keep in mind safe flying is not a zero-sum game: fly right or crash and die.

There is turbulence and rough landings. Everything is moving, and a sudden jolt could send you or someone else flying in the cabin. A lot could go wrong and the plane still lands safely.

Put it this way, if you don't believe in the seats being upright, ask the person in front of you to recline back on the landing...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Plus if the plane needs to be evacuated on the ground you don't want a bunch of tray tables and seat backs in your way.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
there are plenty of logical reasons for take off and landing procedures. Contrary to the belief of many on this board, rules are not invented to piss you off, make things harder for you, or give you something to gripe about. jeezus.

Bitching about flight issues is like bitching about crowds at walmart or service at McDonalds. You know its going to suck before you get there, don't drag it out by reliving it in a rant on an internet forum.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
gsweet said:
yup, seeing as i have 28 hours of travel ahead of me fairly soon, i'll second all of that. but i would like to add my two cents about screaming children: if you don't buy a ticket for them, they should be counted as carry-on luggage. overhead bin? i could quote bill hicks here, but i won't...just a little too cruel and unusual.
I've said it for years: People travelling with babies should only be allowed to take Screaming Baby Airlines. Don't like it? shoulda thought of that before you went and got knocked/or did the knocking up.

Richard Branson, if you're reading this, I've given you the ball, now run with it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I borrowed a DVD player for a plane trip, dropped in a MTB video and plugged in the head phones and cranked it up. Music was coming through my head phones nice and loud.

about 3 minutes later the gentleman accross the isle leaned over and touched my sleave. I looked over and he he game me the "turn it down look"

Confused I took the headphones off and notice that the music was blasting from the player speakers also. Apperantly I pushed the head phone plug in far enough to get tunes but not far enough for it to interupt/turn off the player speakers.

I was embarrassed for being "that guy" I appologized to everyone aroud me.....I hope they could see the humor in it......:o:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
We avoided Maui when we went on our Hawaiian vacation (in '98?) because of the commercialization.
If you think it was bad in '98, just look at how horrible it was in 2000!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
These regulations are really in place to see who the whiners & trouble makers are.