Quantcast

Stupid bolt!

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Ok, so I have this stupid allen bolt that is impossible to take out.
No, there is no lock-tite on it, I bolted it relatively easy and now I can´t get that b!tch out.
I´m almost stripping the stupid thing, what can I do? I dripped a bit of telfon oil over it to see if it gets easier, but not.
Any help would be aprecciated.

m00ch

Chimp
Aug 24, 2001
now if that was an aluminum bolt in an aluminum bike it may have started to corrode into ont and that is why it was so damn hard to get out, use some anti seize next time it should help.

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Originally posted by m00ch
now if that was an aluminum bolt in an aluminum bike it may have started to corrode into ont and that is why it was so damn hard to get out, use some anti seize next time it should help.
ya well, it´s a Ti bolt on an aluminum stem.

m00ch

Chimp
Aug 24, 2001
then my response has nothing pertaining to your post. does ti and aluminum react with each other that could cause them to bond in a such a way that it would make the bolt hard to get out?:confused:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Originally posted by m00ch
then my response has nothing pertaining to your post. does ti and aluminum react with each other that could cause them to bond in a such a way that it would make the bolt hard to get out?:confused:
I have no idea dude...

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

The answer is "YES!". Whenever you put two dissimilar metals together you should use anti-seize or they'll weld themselves together (chemically) over time. Ask anyone who had a Ti seatpost weld itself to the Al frame how much fun it is to try to get them apart.

All metal-to-metal contacts should have some sort of grease on them anyway. Anti-seize may be expensive, but it's worth it's weight in gold if it keeps you from having to take a hammer to your bike!

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
That metals are live minerals an continue to grow especialy when they are different types ie: steel and aluminuim and Ti and Alloys are really bad you need a special anti seize to stop this ,I`am glad you got it out :thumb: :thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Nobody
Below see note.

Accelerated corrosion which can occur when dissimilar metals are in electrical contact in the presence of an electrolyte (i.e. conductive solution). An example of this corrosion phenomenon is increased rate of corrosion of steel in seawater when in contact with copper alloys. Galvanic attack can be uniform in nature or localized at the junction between the alloys depending on service conditions. Galvanic corrosion can be particularly severe under conditions where protective corrosion films do not form or where they are removed by conditions of erosion corrosion.

Prevention or Remedial Action

selection of alloys which are similar in electrochemical behavior and/or alloy content.
area ratio of more actively corroding material (anode) should be large relative to the more inert material(cathode).
use coatings to limit cathode area.
insulate dissimilar metals.
use of effective inhibitor.
Standard Test Methods

ASTM G-71 - guide for conducting and evaluating galvanic corrosion tests in electrolytes.
ASTM G-82 - guide for development and use of a galvanic series for predicting galvanic corrosion performance.
ASTM G-104 - test method for assessing galvanic corrosion caused by the atmosphere.
Evaluation for Galvanic Corrosion

Many people utilized the standard galvanic series of materials in seawater to predict service performance relative to galvanic corrosion. In fact, this galvanic series is specific to only seawater at near ambient conditions. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of other chemical species can greatly affect the rank ordering of materials. Such differences in environmental conditions can reverse galvanic couples whereby the material expected to be the cathode may actually be the anode and experience severe corrosion.

In making galvanic corrosion measurements, it is good practice to try to separate the effects if crevices between contacting materials and actual galvanic corrosion. This is the reason that in many tests, the actual electrical coupling of the two materials is performed in a region protected from the environment or externally from the environment. The external coupling is a good idea since it allows for measurement of the mixed potential of the couple and the galvanic corrosion current. While the potential serves as a measure of the thermodynamic driving force for galvanic corrosion, it is the galvanic corrosion current that indicates the acceleration of corrosion by the influence of the galvanic couple.

ME AGAIN - I've seen some pretty bad instances on stems and forks - it's where your sweat goes when it falls off your chin! I've had some incredibly difficult extractions due to rider's sweat.

Yeesh.

Use steel bolts with grease
:D

Jul 1, 2001
Palm Beach, FL
Look for a product called "Never Seez Nickel Special". This is THE best anti-seize lubricant ever made. It was actually designed for use on nuclear reactors. I have never seen it fail.