Quantcast

Stupid CCDB spring question!

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
What is the stroke of your coil on your CCDB, 8.75x2.75? The reason I'm asking is I'm using a marzzochi coil, a 2.75, but I think it's to long. I have to compress the spring to install into the shock. It stays compressed even with preload backed off. So I'm pretty much running it with about 3mm of preload on it. Which I'm not getting the desired sag now. Is the cane creek spring shorter than the marzzochi spring? Or do I need to order a lighter spring about 100lbs lighter? I already went down 50lbs without much difference.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
I will piggyback on this thread... Another CCBD question.

What coil manufacturers can I use? Rochshox, Fox... Others? What Ti spring makers can work with the CCDB.

The Cane Creek Spring Calculator says I should use a 400lbs spring - people find the calculator accurate.

Thanks in advance.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
If you have to compress the spring to get it to fit on the shock, it's too long and you need a different one, unless you're ok with 3mm of preload (which really isn't a whole lot).

But, I would not confuse preload with spring rate. Pounds does not equal pounds per inch. I don't really believe in adjusting preload- if the sag isn't right, then I'd change the spring rate. Preload doesn't really do much once you're into the travel, but it does decease the small bump compliance at the top of the stroke.

For some info that may or may not help, I just measured one of the coil springs for my CCDB, which is 9.5" x 3.0".
Free length is 6.5", ID is 1.45", OD (which will change depending on rate) is 2.15"

How much sag do you have now, and what spring rate?

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
If you have to compress the spring to get it to fit on the shock, it's too long and you need a different one, unless you're ok with 3mm of preload (which really isn't a whole lot).

But, I would not confuse preload with spring rate. Pounds does not equal pounds per inch. I don't really believe in adjusting preload- if the sag isn't right, then I'd change the spring rate. Preload doesn't really do much once you're into the travel, but it does decease the small bump compliance at the top of the stroke.

For some info that may or may not help, I just measured one of the coil springs for my CCDB, which is 9.5" x 3.0".
Free length is 6.5", ID is 1.45", OD (which will change depending on rate) is 2.15"

How much sag do you have now, and what spring rate?
Thanks, right now I'm at 21% sag with a 2.75X450 spring. With the same spring in another shock I was getting about 30%. Also I'm compressing the spring a lot more than I originally thought, more like 5mm.
I'm wondering what length is the CC 2.75X450 spring is. I read on another forum that the CC spring is the same for a 2.75 and 3.00 stroke shock. Almost tempted to get a 2.5 ti spring for it, but feel a little uneasy about it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
simontac -
CCDB takes a 1.43" ID spring.
Rockshox (1.5") will work however it is a little too large, not really a bad thing as it will help prevent spring-rub on the main body, but do check that it clears the reservoir, if you're particular you might want to make some sort of shim for where the spring seats - I think it'd be fine personally. Fox (1.38") will not work, neither will Progressive/5th (1.40"), at least not very well.

Manitou, DSP (1.43") will work perfectly, as will Nukeproof (1.43"). Both DSP and Nukeproof offer/ed 1.5" springs as well, obviously same story as Rockshox for those ones. Obtainium (1.5") will work and they did make shim collars to fit the CCDB. RCS also make 1.43" ID titanium springs.

Optimax150 -
Trying a different brand spring will probably solve your issue if you don't like running with the extra preload - which could be contributing to your insufficient sag. A spring's free length varies due to many parameters, your best bet is to measure it first. For whatever it's worth, lower rate springs may have a longer free length in some brands (for a given coil spacing and thickness, you have to increase the number of coils to decrease the spring rate). Obviously most shock manufacturers will change some/all of those parameters, and usually only to suit/fit their own product line.

As for which spring rate you need, you'll probably want to provide more info as mtg suggested. Frame, shock, rider weight, spring, current sag %...

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
simontac -
CCDB takes a 1.43" ID spring.
Rockshox (1.5") will work however it is a little too large, not really a bad thing as it will help prevent spring-rub on the main body, but do check that it clears the reservoir, if you're particular you might want to make some sort of shim for where the spring seats - I think it'd be fine personally. Fox (1.38") will not work, neither will Progressive/5th (1.40"), at least not very well.

Manitou, DSP (1.43") will work perfectly, as will Nukeproof (1.43"). Both DSP and Nukeproof offer/ed 1.5" springs as well, obviously same story as Rockshox for those ones. Obtainium (1.5") will work and they did make shim collars to fit the CCDB. RCS also make 1.43" ID titanium springs.

Optimax150 -
Trying a different brand spring will probably solve your issue if you don't like running with the extra preload - which could be contributing to your insufficient sag. A spring's free length varies due to many parameters, your best bet is to measure it first. For whatever it's worth, lower rate springs may have a longer free length in some brands (for a given coil spacing and thickness, you have to increase the number of coils to decrease the spring rate). Obviously most shock manufacturers will change some/all of those parameters, and usually only to suit/fit their own product line.

As for which spring rate you need, you'll probably want to provide more info as mtg suggested. Frame, shock, rider weight, spring, current sag %...
So a vivid coil will work, I thought the I.D. was smaller. That's good to know. I think it will clear the piggyback. I just wanted to make sure before I ordered another spring and not fitting. I seen a nukeproof ti on chainreactioncycles, in about the size I like. I don't like running with the extra preload.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
Just looked at the vivid coil specs. It is only one MM bigger for the I.D. Which is good, the marzzochi spring was tight. Looked at the specs for the nukeproof vivid ti. Im thinking about going this route. A plus to all this is I get to upgrade to a ti coil. Unless anybody got anything else to put in.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
UDI - thank you very much. I know some guys with Vivid's and extra springs, so getting a few different ones and trying them before settling on a spring lbs will be great.
Thanks!