Quantcast

Stupid hole and frame guard

J

JRB

So I got a Reign a little while back and like the ride a bunch, but I have a gripe. They designed the shock to go through the down tube and left the shock shaft exposed to rocks. I understand that they are putting carbon guards on now, but since I got one of the first 06s, I didn't get one. I ordered one and waited. In the meantime, I made a piece of plastic that worked ok to use. I got the guard and they charged $35. WTF - if I had waited you would have given it to me. :confused: Anyway - took the first ride of any substance with it on Saturday, and already cracked it. I am just amazed that they came up with this design of a hole, instead of putting a thin plate on it. I will use it until it breaks, and will likely make one out of aluminum, but think it suck that they made something this cheesy. It will turn folks off for sure. I hope the rest of the frame continues to be smarter than this stupid "glory hole" and carbon shock guard.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
loco said:
So I got a Reign a little while back and like the ride a bunch, but I have a gripe. They designed the shock to go through the down tube and left the shock shaft exposed to rocks. I understand that they are putting carbon guards on now, but since I got one of the first 06s, I didn't get one. I ordered one and waited. In the meantime, I made a piece of plastic that worked ok to use. I got the guard and they charged $35. WTF - if I had waited you would have given it to me. :confused: Anyway - took the first ride of any substance with it on Saturday, and already cracked it. I am just amazed that they came up with this design of a hole, instead of putting a thin plate on it. I will use it until it breaks, and will likely make one out of aluminum, but think it suck that they made something this cheesy. It will turn folks off for sure. I hope the rest of the frame continues to be smarter than this stupid "glory hole" and carbon shock guard.
That's a pretty bitch thing to do. I'd be bitching to high heaven ESPECIALLY since its already breaking.

J

JRB

I don't think there were any ledges to actually hit, and it seems to actually clear, where I thought it wouldn't. I think it was just a rock that flew up.

In other news - I am running a Tioga Factory DH 2.3 on the rear. I am running on standard rims with a maxxis strip and stans, and I freakin' love it. It is a little heavy at around 900 grams, but it rides great.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Try fabing a guard with a little foam behind it for impact resistance. Atach it with some velcro so it can be easily removed for washing the mud out of your glory hole.

J

JRB

There are holes to attach it, Westy, so using the existing holes should be easy enough. I just need to get some alu plate and some neoprene washers. Worst case, I will go back to the hoof pad guard. It's a little cheesy, but didn't start cracking on the first ride.

J

JRB

Good idea. Even have some leather working tools that should work to punch the pieces out.

J

JRB

Here's a pic of the frame and guard. It is cracked at the bottom, where the little lip is.

J

JRB

OGRipper said:
What, you didn't see this coming the first time you saw the frame?

A mouse pad? Try diamond plate.
It will be aluminum plate. The neoprene is going between the frame and the plate.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sell that frame while you can....

Or beat the hell out of it and hope they come out with a smarter design for next year that you can warranty.

That is a really dumb design especially in your neck of the woods and what you ride (rocks).

And maybe a good suggestion would be to get an E13 bashguard, they're pretty oversized and might help protect it a tad more....

Good luck or should i say... Good suck haha.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
skook, i doubt that the lower part of that shock mount would see contact by rocks when trying to roll over them...otherwise wouldn't you occassionally dent yr downtube on really big rocks?

i think that stuff thrown from the front wheel is the larger issue. and a big diameter bash guard won't help that at all.

J

JRB

yeah - I've not bashed it yet, but like you said, if there are issues, they will redesign it.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
skook, i doubt that the lower part of that shock mount would see contact by rocks when trying to roll over them...otherwise wouldn't you occassionally dent yr downtube on really big rocks?

i think that stuff thrown from the front wheel is the larger issue. and a big diameter bash guard won't help that at all.
No i completely agree.... but give me that bike and i bet i could hit that guard on something be it root, tree, or rock.... And if you do that guard is toast.

The whole deal is putting a frame out that leaves the shock stanchion vunerable is a stupid idea.... And the fact that Loco has to pay 35 bucks for a guard is lame.

i guess another brilliant thought would be to get zip tie and intertube, cut the intertube the length of the stanchion, zip tie it onto the shock. That way if you lose the guard you don't have to worry too much about it. But still it just sucks that you have to worry about it....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
...otherwise wouldn't you occassionally dent yr downtube on really big rocks?...
The downtubes on all my mountain bikes are dented quite a bit. I've ridden a couple and those bikes ride pretty well but still I just can't get down with the configuration. Access to the shock seems like a hassle, and putting a big hole in the down tube doesn't seem like a good idea.

Besides, regardless of protection everyone knows glory holes are bound to get filled with gunk. :)

Edit: Loco, I don't mean to kick you when you're down, I know you were stoked on your new ride and hope it works out.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
kidwoo said:
so that the sensitive shaft sitting in your glory hole is upright..
oh sweet jesus. :hot: i think this would be a good use for lexan or something like that as it will most certainly take a beating from rocks.

J

JRB

I need to find some lexan in like 1/4 pieces. I would really rather do a guard out of that. I have a trail to ride soon that will bash it, if any will. I have dents in every down tube from rocks at the place I rode, so it's nothing new. I've thought about a 40 tooth E13 guard, but I don't want to bash my cranks all the time either. We'll see how it holds up. If it doesn't, Giant is about as stand up as they get. I could likely bitch about the guard and get my dough back, but I'll just make something later.

J

JRB

kidwoo said:
Turn your shock around so that the sensitive shaft sitting in your glory hole is upright..
Then the RP3 lever would get smoked.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I've never bashed my downtube on anything, even on really rocky trails. Do you ride flats or clipless Loco?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is a shop here called Applied Plastics, They have a huge scrap bin with pieces up to 4'x2' and 1/2" thick (thinner and thicker too) that they give out for free. If you have a place like that, just pick some up and knock out a quick guard (codpiece) for your glory hole.

I used to swing by there for all sorts of projects. Otherwise you could go to Tap Plastics and they will screw you for $10 or more for a little square.