Quantcast

Stupid little ball in the stupid little hole

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I held out for as long as I could. I put other sports and games before it in an effort to stave it off. For years I mocked my dad because of it... Sadly this past weekend I gave in...

I have taken up golf. :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1:

Now you have to understand that throughout my life I have always regarded golf as an extremely silly game (It is NOT a sport, dammit!) played by silly old men. (and as of late, ever increasing numbers of silly young men) I never thought I would give in this early in my life but recent circumstances have put a club into my hand. (My dad gave me a set of clubs)

In all seriousness I have decided to take up golf because my dad and father in law, and uncles all love it and I figure that this would be a great way to spend time with them. And while I do feel that golf is very silly, I also find it extremely challenging and rather a bit fun.

So if any of you are golfers yourself I would appreciate any tips and advice on getting started in this silly game. Whether it's advice on equipment and courses or just ettiquete, I could use a little info about this gawf thang. Do I have to wear the funny hat with the pom pom on it? How many butt wiggles are legal before hitting the ball? Stuff like that. And if you're in So Cal I could use advice on where to go hit the silly little ball.

Sigh... I feel so dirty and ashamed. :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I play a bit. Played a lot in my pre-parenting days.

Well, I tend to think of the golf swing as a poem. The critical opening phrase of this poem will always be the grip. Which the hands unite to form a single unit by the simple overlap of the little finger. Lowly and slowly the clubhead is led back. Pulled into position not by the hands, but by the body which turns away from the target shifting weight to the right side without shifting balance. Tempo is everything; perfection unobtainable as the body coils down at the top of the swing. Theres a slight hesitation. A little nod to the gods, that he is fallible. That perfection is unobtainable. And now the weight begins shifting back to the left pulled by the powers inside the earth. It's alive, this swing! A living sculpture and down through contact, always down, striking the ball crisply, with character. A tuning fork goes off in your heart and your balls. Such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot. Now the follow through to finish. Always on line.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Ouch. I work at a place where there are 8 championship courses and 20 executive courses and I still haven't played. Good luck with that. Don't let the lameness soak in.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I once thought that the future would be run by people who grew up mountain-biking and skateboarding and that meetings once held on the golf course would move to the mtb trail. But more and more I hear of young people continuing to play golf. Why won't it go away? Sure, I'll probably end up playing when I'm 70 and can ride my recumbent bike to the course, but until then it's just a faint memory of days smuggling beers in a golf bag on a beautiful day after I'd already been out mtbing.

Golf just a non-athletic, non-electronic video game in my mind, similar to bowling, billiards and baseball, all made more fun by alcohol.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Golf just a non-athletic, non-electronic video game in my mind, similar to bowling, billiards and baseball, all made more fun by alcohol.
Yup. And much like bowling billiards and baseball it's difficult as hell.

Golf has been around much longer than bikes. It's never going away. It's still pretty silly though.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
It's really not that bad after four beers. I find the cart to be the best part, rally that thing.

Oh and don't hit into the people in front of you!! I almost got in a fight with some guy on thanksgiving, because my 12 year old cousin got a hold of one and hit into a group. The guy turned around and cussed him out like an a-hole, a 12 year old kid come on. I didn’t like that so much so I let the guy have it, and ended up being tackled by an uncle and my dad. Couldn’t let some dip cuss my little cousin out like that Esp. because the guy was wearing a green sweater vest, come on u deserve to have balls thrown at you.

Oh and the Kid hit a bomb!!! They were at least 220yards away, and it landed right behind them prob. 15 yards away. Dam kid the rest of the time he was hitting 100-150 tops, just that one time.

I don’t play just sometimes with my family. It’s cool thou, some golf courses have sick natural jumps, some over sand traps. I’m always scoping a line and then try and go back when it’s closed.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I've been around the game long enough to know the ins and outs. First of all, when it comes time to buy a set of clubs, go to a reputable club builder. He will be able to customize the clubs with regards to lofts, lies, shaft flexes, grip size, blah blah, all that stuff. He should also help get you into the clubs that will work best for you. That is the first step.

You can take some lessons if you want to, they usually help get you started off right. I made the mistake of not taking any lessons and still struggle with a few fundamental flaws. Those flaws however have not impeded my ability as a player, and I have still managed to be quite successful.

If you need any specific help feel free to PM me. I spent a few years custom building golf clubs and have played at a competitive level as well, so I should be able to answer damn near anything you can think of.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There is no other sport you guys can do together? I always think that golf and mountain biking are total opposites...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
There is no other sport you guys can do together? I always think that golf and mountain biking are total opposites...
Being total opposites isn't necessarily a bad thing...

I used to play a ton and used to be pretty good, but courses around here are super pricey and tough to get times. I dunno - its a social outing more than anything..nothing wrong with a good game of whack-fck!

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I play alot with my job. Actually enjoy it quite a bit. I'm no pro by any means but i am usually good for a score in the low 90's. IMO the best thing anyone ever told me was to swing thru the ball not at it. And if you find yourself pulling your head up, take a fish hook and and some fishing line and well,you can figure out the rest:busted:

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Be thankful they aren't NASCAR fans...

(And no, drive fast turn left is not a sport. It's at best a science.)

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Well......you knew you would be opening yourself up to several snarky comments from some of our more curmudgeonly posters-----so you get much respect for opening yourself up a little and letting us in on something that gets you closer to the ones you love. That's awesome that you were willing to bend a little and try something new that you thought you would hate. I started playing when I was around 12 because my old man was always out on the course on the weekends and didn't mind me tagging along. It can be a frustrating game, but you alwyas learn someting about yourself everytime you play. If you find it's something you want to invest more time in, then it's perfectly fine to get some lessons and checkered pants. The point is not to let anyone else define for you what fun is. FORE!!!!! :clapping:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Well......you knew you would be opening yourself up to several snarky comments from some of our more curmudgeonly posters-----so you get much respect for opening yourself up a little and letting us in on something that gets you closer to the ones you love. That's awesome that you were willing to bend a little and try something new that you thought you would hate. I started playing when I was around 12 because my old man was always out on the course on the weekends and didn't mind me tagging along. It can be a frustrating game, but you alwyas learn someting about yourself everytime you play. If you find it's something you want to invest more time in, then it's perfectly fine to get some lessons and checkered pants. The point is not to let anyone else define for you what fun is. FORE!!!!! :clapping:
Yeah, I expected the snide remarks. Heck I made many of them myself for years while mocking my dad for playing golf. Ahhhh... the universe is not without a sense of humor. :p

In the end I will be stoked that I spent time with the dad while I can. And I am finding out that golf involves alot of drinking and in some cases, the green. This might turn out OK after all. :) As long as I ride more than I golf I'll be OK.

I think I will take a few lessons. It seems like it's very easy to learn bad habits from friends and such. Hopefully this shouldn't cost me too much money at first since my dad gave me some clubs and such already. All I need to do is pay to play. Maybe someday if I get proficient at it I'll buy new fancy equipment.

Yes.... yes you are.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I think I will take a few lessons. It seems like it's very easy to learn bad habits from friends and such. Hopefully this shouldn't cost me too much money at first since my dad gave me some clubs and such already. All I need to do is pay to play. Maybe someday if I get proficient at it I'll buy new fancy equipment..

Just remember.......biking, in some ways, is similar to golf. Funny clothes are involved, the shoes are uncomfortable, those who don't understand will try and mock you for it, and there is a false hype over better equipment equaling more fun.

I play with guys several times a month who can straight-up bust it with ghetto sticks.......I ride with guys who can rip it on a clapped-out bike. As the NASCAR sayin' goes....."Run whatcha brung."

:cheers:

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I typically avoid golf-related functions, but as a male is seems that you inevitibly have to play at some point. I've swung my $20 yard sale clubs a few times a year for the last couple years. As mentioned before, beer is key to enjoyable golfing.

I have 4 friends who came to visit this past summer, and we played the course near my house. They all play fairly regularly and it was my first time playing this year. It was great when I beat all 4 of them on nothing but luck and drunkeness. Good stuff. Cool pic I took too....