Quantcast

Stupid Question

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I know there was a UCI change recently that required a full-face helmets for gravity disciplines, and I'm pretty sure USA Cycling followed suit. This unfortunately brought an end to what is fondly remembered as the 'Sanjay Era,' where it was common to see that mofo screaming down a NORBA track with goggles and a skate helmet with the world's most enormous zip-tie attached to it.

--JP.
P.S. There are no stupid questions . . . only stupid people who ask them. :)

KleinGuy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2010
Guyton, GA
Ha, I was just wondering b/c the Dirty Bird race is this weekend, but I don't have a full face helmet yet. Just my XC one.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
it just depends on the sanctioning, i raced a local dh race with my xc helmet no problem, but it was also state sanctioned and not usac. just check with the race organizers ahead of time.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Ok, I'm a stupid person with a question. Should I stay away without a Full Face?
Honestly racing DH with an open-face helmet isn't the best idea, it's surprisingly easy to put face to ground. It's not the end of the earth if you really want to wear an open-face and ultimately it's your call but you're taking a bigger risk than you need to. Personally I don't ride without a full-face on any "real" DH courses.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd grab a full face. You can have my old one if you want to pay shipping. It's a medium, moto helmet.

It's just not worth the risk in an XC helmet or even a brain bucket....just get the real deal and go for it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Honestly racing DH with an open-face helmet isn't the best idea, it's surprisingly easy to put face to ground. It's not the end of the earth if you really want to wear an open-face and ultimately it's your call but you're taking a bigger risk than you need to. Personally I don't ride without a full-face on any "real" DH courses.
yup.
a friend of mine broke some bones in his face recently with a full face on, but if he had not had one on, it could have be far worse.
whenever i see someone on the DH trails for a skate helmet, i cringe

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I gotta agree with the above comments. Spend a little extra money and get proper protective gear. It is so much easier, and cheaper, to replace a broken bike part than it is a body part.

A good friend of mine advised me to "dress for the crash and not the ride" and I have never regretted that. Good luck :thumb:

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I spent a 9 hour session in the OR after a fullface-less crash...... $15,000 later, I recommend fullface for DH...... that was even an XC crash..... Just my $0.02

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Don't forget the goggles. I spent half a day in the ER after putting my face in a rock. Had I been wearing goggles, it would have been far less severe.

It's amazing how rocks can find any opening.