Quantcast

Stupid questions post about head tubes and stems.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I have a 1.5 head tube and putting a Sherman Slider on it. I for the life of me can’t find the thread that had the adapters listed. There was one for about 50 bucks that was really nice, so any help there would be really cool.

And here comes the stupid realization part, I am going to need a new stem as well, since the current one has a 1.5 stem…….Am I correct in this assumption?

The reason I ask is that I’m going to wrench the bike myself, so I’m going to try to minimize f*ck up time. :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The fork is 1 1/8" and the headset is 1.5"

So now, I wonder, how exactly, or what exactly is required for reduction?

It would appear I need the adapter, bearings, and stem to allow for the 1 1/8" fork. Correct?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
sirknight6 said:
The fork is 1 1/8" and the headset is 1.5"

So now, I wonder, how exactly, or what exactly is required for reduction?

It would appear I need the adapter, bearings, and stem to allow for the 1 1/8" fork. Correct?
to the best of my knowledge, yes you will need 1 1/8 headset and stem......

i dont think there are any adapters to put a 1 1/8 fork in a 1.5 headset..

...i have an E13 Zerostack headset i'd sell you super cheap, barely used.....

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well whats the headset. just about every headset in the 1.5 size has reducer top caps and racers that will work with 1 1/8 forks.
been out since the beginning

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
cane creek has one also.. or run the e13 cups and standard 1 1/8 headset..

btw,, which top crown do you have on your slider? short/ tall?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
yea like fiddy says, watch the stack height when using a reducer headset and a double clamp fork.

some reducer headsets have a pretty big stack height and if you dont have the tall top crown you could be in trouble.

there are some options for you if you run into stack height problems, the e13 zerostack was mentioned but remember thats just an insert that transforms your frame into a IS head tube, so you stil have to purchase a IS headset (cane creek IS2 or IS8 for instance).

cane creek also now makes a "flush" version of the xxc reducer headset, look into that, it might be cheaper than buying the reducer cups AND the IS headset.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i had the cane creek on my IH with 1.5 its standard stack height for a headset. but i ran into a few problems when running my slider on it. Clearance issues with the top crown and the head tube. i needed at least 1/2" or more of spacers under the crown to clear the headtube. im not sure on clearance with the short crown it may not grab enought of the stanchion on top. If you need a tall crown instead of a short (if you have a short) i can trade yah(i have an extra tall crown) . id prefer to run the short on my bike anyway.