Quantcast

stupid racing questions

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've got my first race this coming Sunday. Just some dumb questions.....

Just how stacked will the competition be? I have a feeling I am going to get my ass kicked. I'll be racing in the "beginner 30-39" division. I know it depends on who enters, how good I ride, blah blah blah. I'm just looking for a general idea. I am confident in my ability, but I have never really measured myself against other riders.

The CamelBak: Yay or nay? Do racers actually ride with them in a race?

What do I carry for supplies? I've got a spare tube, tire levers, CO2 (to be purchased) and a pump, and a multi-tool.

That's all I can think of for now, but I am sure I'll come up with more questions.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I've got my first race this coming Sunday. Just some dumb questions.....

Just how stacked will the competition be? I have a feeling I am going to get my ass kicked. I'll be racing in the "beginner 30-39" division. I know it depends on who enters, how good I ride, blah blah blah. I'm just looking for a general idea. I am confident in my ability, but I have never really measured myself against other riders.

The CamelBak: Yay or nay? Do racers actually ride with them in a race?

What do I carry for supplies? I've got a spare tube, tire levers, CO2 (to be purchased) and a pump, and a multi-tool.

That's all I can think of for now, but I am sure I'll come up with more questions.
1. I don't know how it is out west, but here on the east coast, that's a HUGE class. There will probably be everything from first-timers, to folks who could be considered very strong sport racers. Just ride your own race, and try not to worry about anyone else.

2. I've seen both ways. I always race with one (except for DH) cuz I'm not that good at retrieving a bottle from the cage when mountain biking, and without a hydration system I tend to not drink sufficiently. Most beginner/sport racers use them; some experts don't. Just a matter of preference. I would go with what you're familiar and comfortable with. Even with a Camelbak, though, you might want to carry a bottle with a sports drink in it, just in case (especially if it's a long race).

3. I try to also carry a spare cleat (hey, it happens - I broke one just this past Saturday); everything else you listed sounds good.

4. I also carry some sort of energy gel tucked just under the leg gripper of my shorts where I can get to it easily.

Good luck and have a great time:D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
For your first race - don't worry about the competition - just get out there and ride. Truthfully, yah, there will be a couple sandbaggers in your class, there always is. You will have everything under the sun racing with you probably (first timers like you, people who have never raced but are pretty damn good riders, people who have raced beginner last season...)

The camelbak - depends on what you like. I race with one because it is always damn hot our here for the races and I don't want to run out of water. Last year I tried going without the camelbak but I dropped my one water bottle on a singletrack section where I was in the lead. I did not turn around for it because there was a line of ladies breathing down my back. I was thirsty for 12 miles. :(

Sounds like you got the right stuff planned to take. Oh - take a small bit of duct tape. I roll a bit of it around a stub of a pencil and stick it in the bottom of my camelback just in case.

Good luck - I'll be thinking of you.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Thanks for the feedback.

I've got a CamelBak Rogue I'll use. It's a smaller one and is not that heavy.

Enery gel, duct tape, and a spare cleat. Got it! :thumb:

My legs have never felt stronger, so I guess now is as good a time as any to give it a shot.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by aragorn
under 45 minutes, don't carry any thing.

I just bring a water bottle and gel pack which I down right before the start.

The more stuff you carry, more weight, more stuff to fall out and worry about.

Flat and your out of the race, don't worry about it and good luck.
I usually carry a HAWG, loaded with 100 oz water, spare tubes, a camera, and lots of tools....probably 25 lbs worth of crap. It'll be cool to ride with either a light load or no load.

Looks like these beginner races last around 45 to 60 minutes.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Heidi
For your first race - don't worry about the competition - just get out there and ride. Truthfully, yah, there will be a couple sandbaggers in your class, there always is. You will have everything under the sun racing with you probably (first timers like you, people who have never raced but are pretty damn good riders, people who have raced beginner last season...)

Very True about the sandbaggers:( The girl who won my first race (the hill climb) beat most of the Sport women and some of the experts:rolleyes: Frustrating but oh well, I still had fun.

Beginner class out here is pretty big with many different types of riders. Just try to have fun and not worry about the competition (thats what I keep telling myself):D

oh and good luck!! How long is the race?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
As a beginner race i:
Didn’t carry gu or any other food just to difficult to eat. but i did take a good shot at the beginning of the race.
Only carried about 2 bottles worth of water in my camel back.
In my camel back i had:
2 tire leavers
1 box of self-adhesive tire patches
1 tire pump
1 5 mm alan wrench (same size as breaks, sadle, stem and derail. bolts)
1 spare drivers license
1 insurance card
1 credit card
1 epipen

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Awesome. Good luck with it. It's ton's a of fun and a huge rush, especially the start.

Haven't raced for years, but my best advice that I can think of is "shift before the climbs." My bike always went into races mechanically perfect and then I'd screw it up by getting tired, forgetting the shift and then all of a sudden trying to run through all 8 gears at once and dropping/breaking/jamming my chain. Mechanicals are super frustrating when you're doing well in a race, so try and stay conscious of that even when you're sucking wind.

I'd bring the camelbak too. Put some ice in it. It's hot in the summer.

Have fun!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
also everyone is going to try to plow off the line the people you will not be able to beat will maintain this speed throughout the race the ones you can will flag about a mile or two into the course. Go 80% off the start and once the field starts to settle down, about a mile or two into the race, turn the afterburners on.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by The Toninator
also everyone is going to try to plow off the line the people you will not be able to beat will maintain this speed throughout the race the ones you can will flag about a mile or two into the course. Go 80% off the start and once the field starts to settle down, about a mile or two into the race, turn the afterburners on.
That's sort of what I did in the MS MTB bike tour. A bunch of people went like hell when it began. I just kept a steady pace but did not kill myself. I ended being the 6th rider to finish out of about 60. (but obviously a race atmosphere will bring out better riders than a charity ride)

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Squeak

Epinephrene shot. Allergic to bees Ton?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by The Toninator

Very!
Ahh, come on, you know you just have that epipen in there for the last 2 miles of the race. Nothing like a little epi-induced energy surge to get ya home. ;)

Actually, one more bit of advice related to flat tires. - Make sure the little screw on thingies (I believe that's the technical term right?) that hold the valve stems in place are not so tight that you can't finger loosen them for a quick flat change if needed. Also, not sure if you've ever tried to do a quicke change of a flat, but one method I use is to throw the new tube over my shoulder and stick the valve of the new tube in my mouth while I am pulling the old tube out. I can blow a few pounds of pressure into the tube without having to waste any CO2 or attach and disconnect my pump just to prep the new tube. A tube with a little bit of air in it is a lot easier to set up on the wheel. Maybe only a few seconds saved, but a few seconds can be a few places.

Good luck!

R

rstrange1

Training isn't that much different than racing....

Carry 2 litres if you can instead of 3.
levers
mini patches
1 spare tube
free allen keys: 4,5,6 mmm
spoke key
chain tool

In Racing there can be minor changes depending on duration.

- for the short race spare the tube if yer racing just leave it out, no spoke key is needed either

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
If your race is going to be 45-60mins then I suggest a water bottle. But just make sure it wont fall out cause then you're screwed. I did that once in a 18mile race with 95deg+ temperatures. I got sick after the race :(

If the race is longer than 60mins and your not likely to win then a camelback is good.

If I'm going light I take 1 small water bottle with an energy mix, an extra tube, 2 tire levers, a 2shot co2, and a gu.

If its a longer race and I don't care about weight then I'll take my camelback with 40oz (tip: fill it up with 20oz at a time and mark the blatter 20,40,60,80oz etc.) plus energy mix. I'll take 2 tubes, tire levers, pump and mini tool. I don't want to walk back 5-10 miles if I can avoid it.

If it's your first race then your #1 goal should be to finish and have fun.

P.S. If you're not complete toast after the race then try a cool down lap after the race.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
hey ton have u ever had to use an epipen. jus wonderin cuz i got one and i wanted to know if it hurts for a while afterwards (im talking about when u have to stab urself in the leg)

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Big_Papa1080
hey ton have u ever had to use an epipen. jus wonderin cuz i got one and i wanted to know if it hurts for a while afterwards (im talking about when u have to stab urself in the leg)
are you allergic?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by Big_Papa1080
Hey, I've had to use an Epipen on myself once--stabbed myself in the thigh... yes, it hurts because it goes deep. I had to use it at home, so it wasn't as scary as outdoors... but I still pulled it out kinda crooked 'cause I was very scared and that made it hurt worse and bruise a little. (I had a reaction to eating frickin' chick peas, which I didn't know I was allergic to!)

I'm pretty sure that Epipen instructions say to go to an E.R. after using one. I guess it's just in case it doesn't kill the allergic reaction... better to be safe than sorry.

Also, don't forget to get your presc. refilled if you use your Epipen... like the next day! You never want to be caught without it. I nearly died a couple times from not having one right on me. Carry it on your back, your arm, wherever if you have bad allergies!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by double n

I'm pretty sure that Epipen instructions say to go to an E.R. after using one. I guess it's just in case it doesn't kill the allergic reaction... better to be safe than sorry.
YES. Epi is not meant to 'kill' the reaction it's just a high grade anti-inflammatoryent, it doesnt do anything for the reaction itself.