Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just stunning:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/17/MNGS4ITE9M3.DTL

Los Gatos trio arrested in assault on dirt biker
- Suzanne Herel, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

(05-17) 10:38 PDT LOS GATOS - Three Los Gatos residents have been arrested after they allegedly strung a rope across a road and pulled it taut when a dirt biker approached, causing the rider to be thrown off his motorcycle and sustain serious injuries, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.

On May 16, deputies arrested Donald Bryant, 62, Donna Olsen, 46, and Edward Anderson, 48, on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and battery with serious bodily injury.

The incident occurred around 8 p.m. on May 6, when a group of dirt bikers was returning home from a ride in the hills along Loma Chiquita Road, said sheriff spokesman Deputy Serg Palanov.

Bryant, Olsen and Anderson had tied a rope to a tree on one side of the road and waited in bushes on the other side, he said.

When the first rider approached the rope traveling at about 20- to 25 mph, the suspects allegedly pulled the rope taut.

The rope caught the rider in the jaw and threw him off the bike, Palanov said.

The second rider, who saw his friend lying on the ground on top of his motorcycle, slowed to about 5 mph and, as he was coming to a stop, saw the suspects pull the rope taut again.

He was able to stop in time and sustained only minor injuries from hitting the rope, Palanov said.

The first rider was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose, where he remained in a coma for five days.

He suffered severe bone damage and tissue loss and required more than 500 stitches and titanium plates inserted in his face.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact sheriff's Detective Dean Baker at (408) 808-4500.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
That's F'd up. Look at the ages of these people. I expect that kind of thing out of kids, but one of these guys is 62 yrs old and the others are in their late 40's. WTF?

Hope the guy heals up.

I hope someone beat they're a$$es before the cops got a hold of them.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
This is the kinda sh*t that makes me want to headbutt hippies and the high and mighty.

Trainwreck's right, Kill 'em all

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Holy Sh1t. I ride Loma Chiquita all the time on my dirt bike.

There's a bunch of handmade signs that say No Motorcycles, No Bicycles, No Tresspassing, etc. The road is maintained mostly by the locals who live in the area, as it's a solid hour from Los Gatos/Santa Cruz to get to. There are a ton of meth labs/pot farms/poppy seed farms up there. And there have been several murders in my lifetime up there as well. I have a bunch of friends from up there, and some of them live too far in the boonies to get public electricity, they have to use generators 24/7.

It's like the old west up there. Dang. That's shocking, but I can see why the residents did it. Every day valley people go up there with their dirt bikes (and other mountain residents like yours truly) and roost their way through the hills on private land and private trails. Most people chose to live out there in order to get away from people and to enjoy the peace and quiet. There is a HUGE anti-dirt bike/valley people sentiment in the area. Those residents were either cracked/methed out or just fed up with having their privacy invaded. It doesn't give them a right to put a dude in a coma for a week, those phuckers, but then again, with the attention this will get, they're purpose will be fulfilled. Dang.

I hope those people get some jail time or something, but it really sucks for the rider who will have to deal with the effects of a coma for the rest of his life, not to mention 500 stitches. Wow. I also hope valley low landers stop going up there. If you had to drive an hour to get to the nearest gas station, you wouldn't be stoked when your neighborhood gets constantly invaded. This really sucks for everyone.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It's nice to know both sides of the story, huh?

I've lived my whole life a few minutes below Loma Chiquita. Well, minus this last year in Spain and a couple years in SLO, but I was on Loma Chiquita last in early January of this year. Don't hate the hippies, hate the human race for reproducing so much. The world needs more space.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
If you live out there, you're either a hippy or a redneck. Don't doubt it, it's the truth. My family falls into the hippy category. Many families are a bit of both, hippy and redneck. I call them "mountain folk".

bikenweed said:
Holy Sh1t. I ride Loma Chiquita all the time on my dirt bike.

There's a bunch of handmade signs that say No Motorcycles, No Bicycles, No Tresspassing, etc. The road is maintained mostly by the locals who live in the area, as it's a solid hour from Los Gatos/Santa Cruz to get to. There are a ton of meth labs/pot farms/poppy seed farms up there. And there have been several murders in my lifetime up there as well. I have a bunch of friends from up there, and some of them live too far in the boonies to get public electricity, they have to use generators 24/7.

It's like the old west up there. Dang. That's shocking, but I can see why the residents did it. Every day valley people go up there with their dirt bikes (and other mountain residents like yours truly) and roost their way through the hills on private land and private trails. Most people chose to live out there in order to get away from people and to enjoy the peace and quiet. There is a HUGE anti-dirt bike/valley people sentiment in the area. Those residents were either cracked/methed out or just fed up with having their privacy invaded. It doesn't give them a right to put a dude in a coma for a week, those phuckers, but then again, with the attention this will get, they're purpose will be fulfilled. Dang.

I hope those people get some jail time or something, but it really sucks for the rider who will have to deal with the effects of a coma for the rest of his life, not to mention 500 stitches. Wow. I also hope valley low landers stop going up there. If you had to drive an hour to get to the nearest gas station, you wouldn't be stoked when your neighborhood gets constantly invaded. This really sucks for everyone.
So wait, because they live off the grid, grow illecit drugs, use meth and have to drive an hour to get gas for their generator, it's ok to wantenly try and kill someone? Time for a reality check there mate. Those assholes should be jailed for attempted murder.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
surfinguru said:
So wait, because they live off the grid, grow illecit drugs, use meth and have to drive an hour to get gas for their generator, it's ok to wantenly try and kill someone? Time for a reality check there mate. Those assholes should be jailed for attempted murder.
Read it again, I think the rope-pullers deserve what they'll get. I'm trying to explain the root of the problem, and why they did what they did.

It wasn't right, it was most likely a drunken act in sheer exasperation of having their privacy violated day after day. You wouldn't be stoked on CRF450's at all hours of the day in your backyard either, especially when your only goal is to be away from people. They deserve their jail time, and there are much better ways to go about closing off Loma Chiquita, but as a mountain resident, I feel compelled to explain the other side a little bit. They definitely deserve jail time, but please, try to see both sides.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Happened to my wife's cousin when he was about 11 back in the '70s only he was on private property, he'd been warned and the land owner strung a wire, decapitated him.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Fshflys said:
Happened to my wife's cousin when he was about 11 back in the '70s only he was on private property, he'd been warned and the land owner strung a wire, decapitated him.
I can only understand why motorcycles would be a huge nuisance to local residents. I can barely tolerate the ones in the city.

I would understand logs on the trail, locked gates, or any other obstacle to prevent motorcycles from riding around. But not only was this an attempt to hurt someone, the people involved were actually there and yanked the string.

Totally unacceptable.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bikenweed said:
If you live out there, you're either a hippy or a redneck. Don't doubt it, it's the truth. My family falls into the hippy category. Many families are a bit of both, hippy and redneck. I call them "mountain folk".
I doubt the stereotyping. Next thing you will try to convince me that only gays, hippies, and Asians live in San Francisco.:) :) :)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
sanjuro said:
I can only understand why motorcycles would be a huge nuisance to local residents. I can barely tolerate the ones in the city.

I would understand logs on the trail, locked gates, or any other obstacle to prevent motorcycles from riding around. But not only was this an attempt to hurt someone, the people involved were actually there and yanked the string.

Totally unacceptable.
I agree, it's phucked they did that, they could easily have killed the rider.

There HAS been a locked gate, most of my life at least, accross the road, along with all the signs. The gate isn't always locked, and there's a fun trail that goes around it. The trail occasionally gets bouldered, but it's hard to stop a good rider on a dirt bike from getting on trails. Since it's so far away from everything, the sheriff can't really patrol it very well. Residents are known for taking the law into their own hands.

Before you doubt any of that stereotyping, go up there for awhile and let me know what you see. It's not all redneck hippies, just mostly. There's a few rich people that have moved into mansions as of late.

Man, I think I just lost a riding spot. Damn.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bikenweed said:
I agree, it's phucked they did that, they could easily have killed the rider.

There HAS been a locked gate, most of my life at least, accross the road, along with all the signs. The gate isn't always locked, and there's a fun trail that goes around it. The trail occasionally gets bouldered, but it's hard to stop a good rider on a dirt bike from getting on trails. Since it's so far away from everything, the sheriff can't really patrol it very well. Residents are known for taking the law into their own hands.

Before you doubt any of that stereotyping, go up there for awhile and let me know what you see. It's not all redneck hippies, just mostly. There's a few rich people that have moved into mansions as of late.

Man, I think I just lost a riding spot. Damn.
Seriously, I know it is impossible to keep riders, bikes or mx, away from the trails, and enforcement wasn't the highest priority. Taking the law into your own hands? I am usually in favor of that kind of response, but in a fair fight, not some kind of chickensht play like this.

Before I started working in Santa Clara County, I had a SF friend who told me he was from Los Gatos, and I used to mix this up with Los Altos.

I know the difference now...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The fact that the locals are frustrated with people who don't follow the rules and lack of enforcement by officials is totally understandable. So is doing something themselves to prevent people from riding there. But you step over the line when you intentionally injure someone.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
If the land is really closed to the dirt bikers I can understand the residents frustration, but homemade signs aren't exactly authorative. :think:

If I was there and saw my buddy lying there almost decapitated....they would never find their bodies.:dead:

*Sorry just get a little heated....we have cable strung across some riding areas when I was younger (in the early 80's) but I have not heard of this stuff recently...even had boards with nails sticking up baried in leaves to mess with bikes/bikers.:mumble:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
johnbryanpeters said:
The last incident I heard about around here involved a 30-06. No shots were fired, but the ATV boys got the message and decided to ride elsewhere.

!) Do the crime, do the time.

2) If the signs say stay out, stay out.
That is if it is truely closed to bikers....

....a pie plate with the words "Stay out" or "No Tresspassing" isn't going to turn me away if the land is indeed legal to ride on. Now I have no idea about this particular place. But it could be open but locals don't like that it is. When they put up signs.....then it is their wishfull thinking. If it is indeed closed, then instead of trying to kill someone, they need to be causing hell at the local authoritative branch. That is how "human beings" get things done.

Vigilante justice is one thing, but you try and decapitate someone you are so far past wrong you are now the problem. *"You" - meaning whomever would think to do this sort of thing*

Trust me I know dirt bikers who pack heat while riding. :eek: Not me, but I know atleast 3 that I have ridden with. The man with a 30-06 should be jailed too, depending on the circumstances (which I am not aware of in your case)

I guess the big question is it legally open to dirt bikers, in atleast some respect? Might not be in this example....but the wire is even more illegal. Excessive? Most definately. Put them away for doing it? hell yes.

Ride legal.

Rhino

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I believe the facts are:

1. Riding area was off-limits to motorbikes
2. Man injured was from area.
3. People who injured man also from area
4. I would imagine everyone involved knew the rules.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
sanjuro said:
I believe the facts are:

1. Riding area was off-limits to motorbikes
2. Man injured was from area.
3. People who injured man also from area
4. I would imagine everyone involved knew the rules.
Private road was off limits? That was the beef the rope yankers seemed to have....from the limited info.

Is riding in the hills illegal?