Quantcast

Stupid teenager took out my bike rack. ARRGGGHHHH!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Went to park across from school to walk my daughters in this morning. Turned left across the 5 lane cruising easy. Kid comes flying at me. He's got the green light, but is hauling butt. I spot him and stop b/c he's switching lanes headed right for my front end. Realize he's skidding out of control and floor it and he rips my Yakima Hold Up.

Trooper comes. I have two eye witness statements that he was visibly speeding and out of control. Cop says I am turning left into oncoming traffic and therefore contributing to the accident.

Kid admitted to speeding and the marked at off at 50+ in a 35mph school zone.

At what speed are you not responsible for avoiding someone?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wow, 2 accidents on the monkey today. Hope we don't get a hat trick.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
But seriously, why am I responsible for dodging someone breaking the speed limit by 15mph?
i'm guessing that even though he was speeding....he still had the right of way.....as you pointed out.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Because you're in a discretional position. It is your choice to make that left turn whether he is doing 5 mph over the limit or 100 mph over the limit. He will be sited no matter what because he was speeding. By the sound of your original post you kind of contributed to the accident. But if you dive into further detail maybe you will not be cited. Lucky your kids were not hurt. If he was skidding out of control he's certainly the root cause but man no reason pulling out in front of someone who appears to be outta control.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
maybe the cop should have talked slower in explaining how you fvcked up?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
When I drive, every other driver on the road is assumed to be a drunken coked out Lindsay Lohan with a stuck gas pedal.

I had an accident a few years back when I first got my truck.
A man actually turned right into me as I was going by him in the other direction.
No, I don't mean he pulled out in front of me and I hit him. He actually turned his car into my front wheel
as I was driving by him. He told me and the cops that he was already looking into the parking lot where he was turning and just did not see me. :think: This man was not blind, drunk or even visually retarded.
So, yeah I am 100% on guard and consider myself a highly decorated moron patrol trooper.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
He wasn't even in sight when I turned. The kid crested the hill so fast that he tried to switch to the right lane before the intersection (35mph zone), locked it up in the fast lane, slid in a straight line through the entire intersection and finished skidding past the intersection fully in the slow lane.

I slammed my brakes when he appeared and since I was turning, I ws going to get blown up in the right lane. So I stomped it as he's STILL skidding and managed to get my entire vehicle out of his way except the 6 inches of bike rack he clipped.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
He wasn't even in sight when I turned. The kid crested the hill so fast that he tried to switch to the right lane before the intersection (35mph zone), locked it up in the fast lane, slid in a straight line through the entire intersection and finished skidding past the intersection fully in the slow lane.

I slammed my brakes when he appeared and since I was turning, I ws going to get blown up in the right lane. So I stomped it as he's STILL skidding and managed to get my entire vehicle out of his way except the 6 inches of bike rack he clipped.
You should make your turns faster. :p

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Went to park across from school to walk my daughters in this morning. Turned left across the 5 lane cruising easy. Kid comes flying at me. He's got the green light, but is hauling butt. I spot him and stop b/c he's switching lanes headed right for my front end. Realize he's skidding out of control and floor it and he rips my Yakima Hold Up.

Trooper comes. I have two eye witness statements that he was visibly speeding and out of control. Cop says I am turning left into oncoming traffic and therefore contributing to the accident.

Kid admitted to speeding and the marked at off at 50+ in a 35mph school zone.

At what speed are you not responsible for avoiding someone?
So I guess that stupid rule is international. Sorry to hear that. It's the same here. You have to dodge traffic even if they are a falling f16.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It doesn't matter how fast somebody is going if they have the right of way.
Pulling in front of oncoming traffic is failure to yield.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It doesn't matter how fast somebody is going if they have the right of way.
Pulling in front of oncoming traffic is failure to yield.
Sadly this is the truth, I too was in a situation like this many years ago when I was leaving parking lot. Even though the vehicle was going 60 plus in a 25, they were completely out of view around a blind corner, I was held at fault for him hitting a telephone pole. I ended up winning in civil court, still had to pay a ticket for a failure to yield leaving a private drive, but it cost me almost as much as it saved me by the time it was done. Only reason there the cop wrote anyone up was because there was no contact.

Good news is that your insurance company works on civil laws, not criminal so report it, they very well may go after his insurance for the cost of your rack, even though you are shown as a contributing factor civilly it may be shown he is more at fault..... Insurance works funny like that.

OR, suck it up, buy a new rack and be happy you got that far out of the way instead of completely creamed from the side with your family in the car