Quantcast

Stupid Tundra!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Not really. Our tundra has been great, other than the rear leaf spring breaking nothing has gone wrong. Until, yesterday!

The check engine light came on, so I took it into the dealer ship. I was sure it was the battery, as its hasn't been cranking so well in cold weather lately, and I ran it down the other day by listening to the radio while in the parking lot. Any ways...

The stupid catalytic converters went out, and well it's going to cost 2 grand! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: I've never heard of this happening on a car or truck, so WTF? But then again, I have never heard of any one breaking a leaf spring on the way back from wal mart. :think:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
that sounds way expensive for catalytic converters. i know the truck has 2 of them, but damn. you might want to call around to get quotes from places other than the toyota stealership.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
dfinn said:
that sounds way expensive for catalytic converters. i know the truck has 2 of them, but damn. you might want to call around to get quotes from places other than the toyota stealership.

Yeah, they said that there were two of them. But how much platinum does one converter use? It couldnt be that much...

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
First thing with the battery, take the terminals off and clean them very well with a terminal cleaner (5 dollars at auto parts store). That is a leading cause of battery not charging. For the cat problem, 2 grand is outta this world. You can get new cats for 70 apiece, brand new. www.summitracing.com The leaf spring you should be able to find at a junk yard for less than 50 dollars. Did you get the quote on the exhaust from a dealership? Take it to a muffler shop if you didn't. You can probably get a completel cat back exhaust for that truck for around 500 dollars, and it would sound way better than stock too.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
also seems wierd to me that both cats would go out at the same time...unless

1. your truck is way out of tune and running really rich, if that's the case you will probably want to look into a tune-up and a new 02 sensor

2. there's a butload of miles on this truck

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
mack said:
The stupid catalytic converters went out, and well it's going to cost 2 grand! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: I've never heard of this happening on a car or truck, so WTF?
We had bought a Geo Metro new from the dealership and it had a bad cat. Of course, it took the dealership 3 times to correctly diagnose the problem. Cheers to Chevy for handling it correctly though; the car ran great for 9 years after it too. :thumb:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I broke my leaf spring in a Home Depot / Target parking lot. I don't think it was the parking lot that broke it though.

P.S. I drive too fast... into things.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you have any mechanic friends that can do the work? if so, contact www.trdparts4u.com. they will get you genuine toyota parts a hell of a lot cheaper than you will get them at a dealership.

also, like dfinn said...check the o2 sensor. you know, go to autozone and have them scan your truck and see what code they bring up. they do it for free.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
take it to your local foreign auto shop. catalytic converters shouldn't be more than 1200 with labor.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
mack said:
Not really. Our tundra has been great, other than the rear leaf spring breaking nothing has gone wrong. Until, yesterday!

The check engine light came on, so I took it into the dealer ship. I was sure it was the battery, as its hasn't been cranking so well in cold weather lately, and I ran it down the other day by listening to the radio while in the parking lot. Any ways...

The stupid catalytic converters went out, and well it's going to cost 2 grand! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: I've never heard of this happening on a car or truck, so WTF? But then again, I have never heard of any one breaking a leaf spring on the way back from wal mart. :think:
$2000 for a pair of catalytic converters? That's ridiculous. $100-150 is reasonable. Plus, it's hard to imagine both going out at the same time. Something is fishy.... :think:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
go to ebay. typew in tundra high flow cat. buy two and your money. better performance and gas mileage plus added sound

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You took the car to a dealer ship? How big was this ship? I think you were lucky it was in port when you had your problems, or maybe it was planned that way? Muahahahahahahahah.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
My Dad made me take it there, it is actually his truck, but i use it allot. Im gunna take it to a muffler shop.

The dealership charge him 600 last time for a new spring, wich sounded like total BS to me.