Quantcast

Stupidly expensive small parts

In some post recently I read about someone running a SRAM chain with four quick links in it - "Expensive chain", I thought, twenty bucks in links for a forty dollar chain.

Well, I went to LBS to get some Shimano pins for nine speed chain and got charged four bucks apiece for them.

Is there anyplace to get this sort of thing in quantity for a more reasonable price?

J

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I look at it this way. I can afford to so I do. Basically you can get them cheaper online....:( But I like my local LBS and I go there and pay what I pay. I get a certain amount of discount... But only what I consider fair. Sometimes I just pay full price so that I walk out of the shop "feeling" good about the transaction. We know those little pieces of metal cost a few pennies and it burns your ass to pay that much for them.... But did you enjoy the experience. Did you hang out and talk to the guys? Did you check out the new bikes? Were they busy and took a couple of minutes to treat you like a human. Well if you/they did then it was all good. If not find another LBS or go online. I am lucky I have a cool shop near me.......

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by jdcamb
But did you enjoy the experience. Did you hang out and talk to the guys?
Or how about just gimme the ****ing parts and let me be on my way because I dont feel like talking to some tool at a bikeshop in order to get a "discount" when I could just order it if i had to. But Im in a bind so lets go. Chop chop monkey boy. They dont pay you $6 bucks an hour for nothing.:devil:

I shop at LBS deliberately. If I'm ready to buy a container of whatever quantity the things come in, I'd like it if I got some break for them not having to count them out.

I think the pins come in bags of I don't know, five or ten. Not a big deal, the price is always just a little of a shocker.

J

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I really don't break that many chains for some reason, after a year or two of hard riding it's time to replace the chain rings and/or chain anyways.
I guess what i'm trying to say is why not bite the bullit and get a new chain and use the pins from the excess links.....

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Or how about just gimme the ****ing parts and let me be on my way because I dont feel like talking to some tool at a bikeshop in order to get a "discount" when I could just order it if i had to. But Im in a bind so lets go. Chop chop monkey boy. They dont pay you $6 bucks an hour for nothing.:devil:
:D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
In some post recently I read about someone running a SRAM chain with four quick links in it - "Expensive chain", I thought, twenty bucks in links for a forty dollar chain.

Well, I went to LBS to get some Shimano pins for nine speed chain and got charged four bucks apiece for them.

Is there anyplace to get this sort of thing in quantity for a more reasonable price?

J
The whole chain only costs twenty eight bucks...

:rolleyes:

I recently broke the wire on my campy ergo brain computer for the road bike and was quoted twenty plus shipping. I spliced it instead. :monkey:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I do buy them at my LBS - Sram PC99. When I was still buying Shimano they were about the same price. I think your LBS hosed you. :monkey:
Jenson USA would never think of doing such a thing....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
in the J&B catalog, Shimano pins are 5/$4...or was it 4/$5....either way, super cheap. Powerlinks were like $2.50.

i thought the shop was joking when i first bought some 9sp pins. i was wrong.