Quantcast

Subaru Forester

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thumbs up from me, mine is a '98 with 155k miles on it. Couple wear parts have broken but I believe I've only had one issue that wasn't a standard wear problem (a $300 sensor broke).

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Thumbs up from me, mine is a '98 with 155k miles on it. Couple wear parts have broken but I believe I've only had one issue that wasn't a standard wear problem (a $300 sensor broke).
Was it a throttle position sensor? Mine broke in my Outback and it took four trips to the dealer before they figured out WTF the problem was. Good thing it was still under warranty.

BTW, I thought the Hummer was Like Nothing Else? :confused:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have an 2004 Impreza wagon, same platform just a little less boxy and a little less room. I've been impressed, the car has been rock solid and extremely reliable. It is no offroad machine but it performs wonderfully on east coast crap winter weather roads. I had to drive to my grandmothers funeral last year in the middle of an ice storm. Snow plows were spinning off the road but the Subie stayed right on track. It lacks a bit of refinement, a little too much road noise and a heavy truck like clutch but that is on a 4 year old car, the new ones might be different.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Was it a throttle position sensor? Mine broke in my Outback and it took four trips to the dealer before they figured out WTF the problem was. Good thing it was still under warranty.
No, it was a mass airflow sensor.

Actually, I take it back - that was the second sensor to go, but one was cheap and a quick repair several years ago.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I'm on my 2nd Forester, actually - my '98 hit 155K and developed some overheating issues which I believe were attributed to gasket problems (which where worked out in later models). I liked it enough to get another (used, 2002). The other issues I had were faulty air flow sensors and the crappy plastic "skid plates" falling off (one in the Bronx!) in both cars.

But other than that, I love it. Great winter traction and you can jam a lot of crap in/on it (anyone who witnessed my "October 2007 Gravity East Coast Series Pack Job" can attest to this). Solid vehicle.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
If you do get a Subaru ignore the manual where it says "For best performance drive slow in the left lane."

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
:clapping:

amazed it took so long for the first lesbian reference to surface.
It seems like every Forester around the PNW has some sort of rainbow girl power sticker on it.

Anyhow - buy a Leagacy Outback in rootbeer!!! Its a cool color. :)

Ive had my 2007 Outback Basic for 16,000 miles, too early to make any fantastic claims but I really do like it. The additional ground clearance comes in handy and the AWD is hard to shake loose on gravel roads.

The 2.5 has plenty of power but I wish the fifth gear where taller.

My out the door price was S20,700 - I could not find the base trim level listed for 2008.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It seems like every Forester around the PNW has some sort of rainbow girl power sticker on it.

Anyhow - buy a Leagacy Outback in rootbeer!!! Its a cool color. :)

Ive had my 2007 Outback Basic for 16,000 miles, too early to make any fantastic claims but I really do like it. The additional ground clearance comes in handy and the AWD is hard to shake loose on gravel roads.

The 2.5 has plenty of power but I wish the fifth gear where taller.

My out the door price was S20,700 - I could not find the base trim level listed for 2008.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Gay-Lesbian/gay-chick-winner.html

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have a 2000 with ~130k on it, and my wife has a 1998 with ~100K.

mileage is not that great but better than a Hummer! The mileage gets better the closer you stay to the speed limits :twitch: that is prolly why my mileage sucks! I'm the one tailgaiting JMac who is tailgaiting the other A-hole doing 80 in a 55... and no I don't have a rainbow sticker!

I like both vehicles and would buy another. Typical problems? CV joints go on them, and some models brakes are a pain to replace, (but if you are using the dealer for all your service this isn't a problem).

dollars to donuts it's a great vehicle!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I tell ya, I am going to love the juxtaposition this summer of a married couple (with baby in the back) coupled with 100lbs of DH bikes on the roof of our little rainbow mobile!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I tell ya, I am going to love the juxtaposition this summer of a married couple (with baby in the back) coupled with 100lbs of DH bikes on the roof of our little rainbow mobile!
Jim, definitely get the thule hitch rack....it will pay for itself in a few months' time, just based on gas savings. and DH bikes are far more secure than being roof-mounted.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Jim, definitely get the thule hitch rack....it will pay for itself in a few months' time, just based on gas savings. and DH bikes are far more secure than being roof-mounted.
I know, Just need to get a hitch welded...My goal is to get the hitch rack, then put one of those coffins on the roof to hold all the smelly bike stuff.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I know, Just need to get a hitch welded...My goal is to get the hitch rack, then put one of those coffins on the roof to hold all the smelly bike stuff.
Bolt-on hitches are fine. Maybe the newer Forester will offer a 2" receiver but a 1.25" will work fine for two DH bikes.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I have an 07 Imprezza Tall...err Forester...X Premium (2.5l w/ rear discs) w/ about 25k miles on it. In the roughly 13 mos that I've had it, the windshield cracked the first time I used the defroster, the fuel pump went (and took 5+ visits to troubleshoot ad replace), an O2 sensor went, and now it's back in the shop to have the catalytic converter replaced (up to 2 weeks to get from Japan!!).

I loved my WRX but this Forester is driving me bat$hit! I might just bag it and get a Honda or Toyota.

-ska todd

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have an 07 Imprezza Tall...err Forester...X Premium (2.5l w/ rear discs) w/ about 25k miles on it. In the roughly 13 mos that I've had it, the windshield cracked the first time I used the defroster, the fuel pump went (and took 5+ visits to troubleshoot ad replace), an O2 sensor went, and now it's back in the shop to have the catalytic converter replaced (up to 2 weeks to get from Japan!!).

I loved my WRX but this Forester is driving me bat$hit! I might just bag it and get a Honda or Toyota.

-ska todd
I like my 08 xB, they are super cheap but well designed - its basically a tC wagon now. No AWD, but it still has all the safety features (stability control, ABS, tons of airbags, etc) and its made in Japan (they sell it as a Toyota Rumion in Japan with more features than Scion offers). Tons of space for the size and the stock stereo has iPod integration and an AUX input. I put a 1.25" bolt on hitch (its super easy, just 6 bolts). I got the hitch mail order and I use a Thule T2 with it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm all about function over form in my vehicles, but there's only so much ugly I can take. That xB is one weird looking box :dead:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm all about function over form in my vehicles, but there's only so much ugly I can take. That xB is one weird looking box :dead:
I didn't like the old one, the new one looks better. I think its the nicest looking box car right now at least:D

Besides, anything is an upgrade over a Hummer and a Forester is just another boxy wagon.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would agree, but my brother in law bought one and it was actually real nice. He installed a quick shot NOS system (he had it laying around and got bored) and it hauled ass.

They are nice inside and a lot of space. Not sure I would buy one, but with a Toyota base and a cheap price, it's a nice option.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They are nice inside and a lot of space. Not sure I would buy one, but with a Toyota base and a cheap price, it's a nice option.
Yeah the new one looks way better on the inside and outside. I didn't like or consider the old version at all.

Its actually better than most US Toyota models since its made in Japan in factories with lower flaw rates.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
We have a 2003 Forester, a 2007 Outback, and just got rid of my 2002 WRX Sedan.

My favorite was the WRX. Not only was it the most fun to drive, but the interior space was only slightly smaller than either of the other cars. The only drawback was the storage space. It definitely doesn't have as much storage space as either vehicle.

Of the other 2 cars, I have to say that I'm kind of torn. The Outback is a much more comfortable car to drive (quiet with more creature comforts: leather, heated seats, huge sunroof), but I feel like my visibility is less obstructed in the Forester. Lastly, the Outback seems to be a little longer in the storage area.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Talking about the aesthetic merits of the Forester vs. the xB is like having to decide on a winner in the Siberian Unibrow Muffin-top Beauty Pageant.