Quantcast

Subaru outback owners. Input needed.

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
It is time to replace my aging Bronco II and i have narrowed my search to 2 trucks(Frontier and Tacoma) 1 suv(4runner) and the outback. I would like to know what you like or dislike about your outback and what if any problems i can expect from the car and what i should look for by way of options and such. I test drove a 2002 5 spd yeaterday and liked, but it had almost 90000 miles on. Anyways thanks for the input.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've got 60k on my 2004. I have the 6 cylinder one. No real problems...well, except for having the automatic transmission replaced after 8,000 miles. :dead: It was defective.

I love the car though! It holds a ton of ****, has good pickup, and handles great in the snow.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we had two outbacks ('98, '00). the '98 had the head gasket go, and the engine block warped and needed replacement. this was covered by subie.

the '00 had a minor fan failure (which at the time was as pain, as i driving up to sunday river for some downhilling in the summer, and it was hot as hell...my options were windows up and cook, or windows down and have the car loud as hell).

good all around otherwise, though gas mileage leaved a bit to be desired imo. even w/ the 4-cyl, i'd routinely get ~22-23 mpg.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Have a '97 Outback with 125K miles. The only thing I can think of that I don't like is the driver seat. It's not very comfortable.

Problems: none major.
Didn't your headgasket blow or was than another Subie? The 4cyl engines have a reputation for blowing the head gaskets around the 100K mark.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dan-o said:
Didn't your headgasket blow or was than another Subie? The 4cyl engines have a reputation for blowing the head gaskets around the 100K mark.
see my post. we were only @ 60K or so i think when it went.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
125K in an uncomfortable seat?! Time for an upgrade?
When you spend as much time with a stick up your ass as him, what's a little discomfort from a seat??? :think:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hmmm...I just checked my vehicle history at mysubaru.com and I seem to have forgot about a couple of issues I had. I needed the torque converter and the throttle position sensor replaced. Good thing for warranties.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I like my Forester... I have had a bunch of subies, and like them! I have a 55minute commute to work, and put a ton of miles on quick, and I haven't had any problems with any of them that I wouldn't have on any car... example (knock sensor at 92k) I had one (or a part that was described as the same part) go in my vw at 55k !
they are good reliable cars!!! but it depends on what you need!!!
  • I like the room it has, it can haul a lot.
  • The gas milage is pretty good (26-29)
  • Allwheel drive is great, but I would like it if I could switch between Front wheel dr. and 4x4 which is not something I can do much about!:rolleyes:
  • it can go on mild offroad situations... It wouldn't be a 4x4 truck but its far better than a car.
  • they hold their resale value very well (good if you are selling, bad if you are buying)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dan-o said:
I had another Subie that the motor burned up due to a non-funcitional fan and then a coolant leak. Problem was the temp gauge apparently didn't function correctly because I didn't notice the problem until the steam was rolling and the motor was cooked. :dead:

It was "only" $2500 to put a low mileage motor in it. Drove it for another 50K+ miles with the new motor. Sold it with 195K on it.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I had another Subie that the motor burned up due to a non-funcitional fan and then a coolant leak. Problem was the temp gauge apparently didn't function correctly because I didn't notice the problem until the steam was rolling and the motor was cooked. :dead:

It was "only" $2500 to put a low mileage motor in it. Drove it for another 50K+ miles with the new motor. Sold it with 195K on it.
What's that smell??? Nothing - I don't see any steam yet. :rolleyes:

Dummy

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
FWIW...

My 97 Legacy has about 188K on it and is in fine shape. It's had new cam and crank seals at 103K and then as a matter of principle at 160K. Other than some suspension parts that I replaced to impart it more stable handling, it's been nothing but routine maintainence and preventive maintainence.

Definitely go with the standard though....not a fan of subaru automatic trannys. The one in my mother's car is a pig, and so is the one in my grandmother's WRX wagon.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i have a 2000 outback sedan, best car i've ever had. very quiet yet powerful engine, great suspension, 92k miles on it and could prolly still go another200k

plus before we moved into the city my parents had a very very old subaru outback that had 300k plus miles miles on it, accidently rolled it off of a wall, and it still ran when they sold it

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
robdamanii said:
FWIW...

My 97 Legacy has about 188K on it and is in fine shape. It's had new cam and crank seals at 103K and then as a matter of principle at 160K. Other than some suspension parts that I replaced to impart it more stable handling, it's been nothing but routine maintainence and preventive maintainence.

Definitely go with the standard though....not a fan of subaru automatic trannys. The one in my mother's car is a pig, and so is the one in my grandmother's WRX wagon.
my mom had the same thing, it was a great car, but the headgasket went at 135k, and I've been seeing more and more for sale with them blown. It might be worth it to replace it before it blows, because once it does it adds at least a grand to the repair because you need to machiene the heads flat.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
02 Outback Impreza Sport. 65,000 miles. I essentially treat the car like an STI rally car with twice the suspension it has. Not even a hiccup so far. Handles forest service roads and shuttle runs like a champ, but it does get bogged down with 4 people and 4 big bikes.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
1995 Outback Impreza SE, 118K miles.

When I bought it the thing needed about $1300 worth of repairs (burnt tranny fluid, busted seals, oil change, replaced timing belts, etc.). I wasn't stoked on that, but since then it hasn't given me any problems. The mileage isn't great, about 27-28, but it has plenty of room, is comfortable enough, and handles decent. For my first car I love it. I do wish it had a larger gas tank though. I hate pulling over when doing a long trip and the 12 gallon tank means doing that more often than I like.

I have a friend with a 2000 Outback with a good number of miles on it, nary a squeak out of the thing.

The Ito

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
robdamanii said:
FWIW...

My 97 Legacy has about 188K on it and is in fine shape. It's had new cam and crank seals at 103K and then as a matter of principle at 160K.
Ah yes - the seals. These apparently are a common problem. We had them done on our Outback twice so far.

Definitely go with the standard though....not a fan of any automatic trannys. The one in my mother's car is a pig, and so is the one in my grandmother's WRX wagon.
Fixed it for you. :D

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
1999 Legecy Outback

My Subie has given me 90K of trouble free miles. Still have the original exhaust system and original clutch.
Having the original clutch is suprising since I drive stop and go city traffic every day. Never had the car in the shop for repairs.
My Outback does not burn oil or leak any oil.
The only mistake I made with my Outback was buying the extended
warranty since I never used it. Would I buy another Subaru? Definitely.