Quantcast

Subrosa Letum 24" mag...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
http://www.subrosabrand.com/completes/letum/cruiser/mags/letum.html
Sweet! Been awhile since I've seen a bike with mags in a catalog! Pretty stoked!
Don't know jack about this frame, and can't find ANY geo details, anyone got the BETA? HA looks nice and steep, but can't tell the CS length. 3/8" axles/fork...
This MAY(depending on what y'all have to say about it)be the first non-26" wheeled bike I'll own since 88! It's almost perfect...looking. But would you guys street it? I'm not too hardcore, yet, some wallrides, hops and and typical dink-around stuffs. MIGHT get into grinds later, but it would just be some micro-pegs.
What I SHOULD do is order the spoked version and a set of $99 tuffs!
So questions: Streetable? Worth the cash(pretty damn cheap, really: $375 from Danscomp for the spoked version, $460 for the Mag...)? And it's a friggin Tektro brake. What's that upgradable to and what's recommended for street? I still don't know the difference between a 990 and... the other style...mounts.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
990's, etc. are what are classified as U-brakes.. The other standard brakes of today are vbrake, caliper, 4bolt, and some canti.. (plus the obvious disk) Honestly... I've been looking at one for a month or two.. the price seems too legit for a bike to see if I like fully rigid/24's

The new eastern looks like a hott tamale too!!

Honestly... When the time comes, I think I'll pay the difference to get the eastern.. Whatever that may be, I have yet to see a price on them??

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The brakes will suck. Esp with skyways. That seems to be a part of the bmx experience. It bugged me at first, then I realized I didn't really need them for dirt jumping.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Do you own the subrosa? JW
No but i'm sure more thana few of us have horro stories about bad breaking with mags .

FYI: A good friend of mine has both the subrosa crusier and the shadow invisable man crusier and he prefers the invisable man frame over the subrosa . There are also noticable differnces in frame quaility between the 2 frames .

That Eastern looks nice thought :clapping:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i think as far as street-worthy new school bmx cruiser completes, the top would be the Shadow Conspiracy Invisible Man, Haro Nyquist 24 (which is hard to find and not the same as the Backtrail 24), and the Mirraco 24. the DK General Lee is also great for the money--they've lightened up, the ones from even a few years ago were tanks.

you can run a peg on a rear 3/8" axle only if it's a strong heat treated axle, like the old Standard and Kink axles. but even then the predominant choice is 14mm rear axle. front 3/8" is okay even with a peg, because it doesn't take as much abuse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHADOW-CONSPIRACY-VS-INVISIBLE-MAN-BMX-BIKE-CRUISER-24_W0QQitemZ140164785071QQihZ004QQcategoryZ98082QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Whoa...that Eastern looks pretty tight! Talk about turn-down city!
But I THINK I kinda like the Subrosa a tad more. Just lookin for somethin cool to get into a 24" BMX/Cruiser, possibly take it further if my skills excell, and if I really take to the smaller bike.
Yeah, I remember mags being TRICKY to get good stopping action with...but not impossible. And They've GOTTA have better pads out nowdays, no?
And 990s are the hotsh*t, right?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah, I checked out the Invisible Mans when they first appeared, but the CS length seemed long as ****...don't remember what it was, now, but I THOUGHT it was like 15" or so... May as well stick with a twosix if that's the case.
The CSs look a lot shorter on that Eastern...

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Yeah, I checked out the Invisible Mans when they first appeared, but the CS length seemed long as ****...don't remember what it was, now, but I THOUGHT it was like 15" or so... May as well stick with a twosix if that's the case.
ya the eastern's are designed with more progressive geo. i don't think they are suppose to really be cruisers, but more of a big BMX which is what we all want.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I don't like the racer looking wheels and tires...at all. Butthe rest of the bike looks alright, just wonder if the seat tube shouldn't have been a little taller so we don't have to have 12" of post sticking up to cruise to the store. I need to see a rider on one. Burlier wheels and tires would make that bike a lot better...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Stay away from the Tuff wheels. They are heavy and flexy.
So and so? I grew up on them, and rode flatland with em as well. They never need truing, I've, personally, NEVER seen a busted one, and mine alone got put through the ringer.
I'm down with Tuffs, no doubt in my mind. And then there's the style points...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
that's true. i rode one and i was not impressed with how long the back end felt. front--> short, back-->long . mullet frame.

Bryan67

Chimp
Nov 23, 2007
Fresno, Ca.
So and so? I grew up on them, and rode flatland with em as well. They never need truing, I've, personally, NEVER seen a busted one, and mine alone got put through the ringer.
I'm down with Tuffs, no doubt in my mind. And then there's the style points...
Yeah, I did all that too. But that was 25 years ago. Have you ever rode 24`s? They are totally different than riding 20`s. And for you guys not liking the wheels and tires on the Eastern.... it is a BMX bike afterall and thats what BMX bikes usually run on.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
This is a promo for the NS Holy.. .Companies are catoring to us who want the 24" BMX bike!! Check it out... This looks legit too! Price for the poor, but still built to the minimum that makes it so desirable!!

http://lamacycles.com/en/sections.php?pksections=26260419
I don't know, it's just a 24" mtb... looks like it's designed for a tall, suspension sized fork. If you want something like that, then why not just get a Tonic Fall Guy or USB Molly?

It looks like the Easterns have the closest geo to a real "freestyle bmx cruiser." Too bad it's not full chromo. The Subrosa, WTP, Shadow, etc are all decent, but I still think the geo on those could be better.

For what it's worth, WCH has the invisible man and he loves it.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I don't like the racer looking wheels and tires...at all. Butthe rest of the bike looks alright, just wonder if the seat tube shouldn't have been a little taller so we don't have to have 12" of post sticking up to cruise to the store. I need to see a rider on one. Burlier wheels and tires would make that bike a lot better...
i can feel you on a couple of these things, especially the seatpost situation. eastern does that with most of their big bikes too and it pisses me off, especially since they have the integrated clamp all down low so you can slam the seat. only problem is when you look at the pic it looks impossible to do so..

as far as the wheels and tires go though, i can't say much about the wheels but i think they'd hold up ok for a while. the tires are just SB8's which are awesome even on the street. only problem is they are super thin. just replace the rear tire to something else and you'd be fine. the bad and good thing about this bike is that it's going to be pretty fairly priced. i mean check out the 20" version, it's super cheap, and since we all love upgrading our bikes whether they really need it or not, atleast with this you won't be spending a lot right away.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I don't know, it's just a 24" mtb... looks like it's designed for a tall, suspension sized fork. If you want something like that, then why not just get a Tonic Fall Guy or USB Molly?

It looks like the Easterns have the closest geo to a real "freestyle bmx cruiser." Too bad it's not full chromo. The Subrosa, WTP, Shadow, etc are all decent, but I still think the geo on those could be better.

have you ridden the shadow and if so how was it?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
This is a promo for the NS Holy.. .Companies are catoring to us who want the 24" BMX bike!! Check it out... This looks legit too! Price for the poor, but still built to the minimum that makes it so desirable!!

http://lamacycles.com/en/sections.php?pksections=26260419

That's basically the same style as the offering from DMR, the Drone. An option, I guess. And why is that it seems MTB companies are offering 24" bikes with closer-to BMX geo than friggin BMX compaines??? Tarded.
I'm workin right now...someone call Eastern and Subrosa and get some geo numbers!

Also, I got this name from Cru a LOOOONG time ago and it's still ingrained in my skull, check out Kappa. They have the SICKEST new-retro frames! 24" or 26" with tight geo and even a looptail option! SICK! Chrome frame, white lettering and black mags? Hell yeah, son... But while not expensive by any means, the frame and fork are just above the price of these BMX cruisers complete. So something to think about, I guess...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA

My wallet... :disgust1: It's been letting me down more and more lately....