Quantcast

Suck it up buttercup

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So went downhilling sunday, did alright. (See Bromont thread in ride reports...)

Fell off pretty good about a 5 of 6 times. 3 times over the bars in the rocks/stupms and another couple of sorta high-ish speed front wheel wash outs. A few dings here and there, no major injuries...

Now, thursday, 4 days later, I got rib pain. How do bruises work? Why would they hurt more 4 days after impact? I can breathe fine, but laughing is another story.

Does sympathy make them all better? Come on people, let's feel the love...

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, could be cracked or bruised. Unfortunately I don't think they really do anything for that, I think you just have to wait it out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I kind of hate DaPeach being MMikes bbrother but I would approve if I could for the use of "Suck It Up Buttercup"

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ridemonkey said:
Yeah, could be cracked or bruised. Unfortunately I don't think they really do anything for that, I think you just have to wait it out.
I think the head monkey hit it on the nose. I had the same thing happen to me (kart racing in a seat too big) once. I was fine all day but about 2 days later the pain and soreness set in. Doc said the ribs were bruised, but not cracked.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
all types of rib injuries suck.

time goes by and you think you're just about over it.
and then you'll twist or turn just the wrong way, or you'll sneeze.
and the the sharp stabbing pain of dropping back to square one hits ya.

i separated some in my lower rib cage years ago.
and it was almost a year before that scenario quit happening.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yep, I'm getting the distinct impression that this will be a lingerer. Just below the sternum, where the ribs start to curve away toward your flank.

This is going to be annoying. Embrace the pain.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'll let you know if that's true tomorrow...

"I have a pain near my abdomen...no...a lit-tle lower..."

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
That's true. My gf loves nothing more than to punch me in the stomach as hard as possible when I least expect it. Good thing my core is cast iron!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
OGRipper said:
I hate rib injuries, they take forever to heal and there is pretty much nothing you can do...except drink heavily.
Well then I guess there isn't anything more I can do.

Off to my 5 a 7.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
When I was racing shifter karts I had more than a few trips to the Dr. for rib pain. Most times in the EXACT area that you are talking about. I actually tore "things" loose from the ribs which was nice and painful. Maybe see a Dr....if it is something like what I had they can give you an anti-inflammatory (they gave me Vioxx before it was declared evil). It can really speed the healing....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
So I guess you saw your new friend again last night?
:agree:

This emoticon will get boring really fast... but it's just so damned appropriate...

Didn't help the ribs much...

David Hasselhoff would be a good friend to have I bet...German chicks...