Quantcast

Sucks for Y'all

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You wanted your adventure? You got it, ****head.

**** them.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
You wanted your adventure? You got it, ****head.

**** them.
That was my thought initially too. Turns out they were English teachers in Damascus and have traveled extensively around the Middle East so they're not your typical misery tourists.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
It would be funny if Iran sent them to another country to be tortured.

Funny for me, not for the detainees, of course...
It would be funny to me also.

I wouldn't doubt that Iran will change at the last minute allow them to go free to ease tension over there Nuclear work.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Let's say some Iranians who have a suspiciously good knowledge of Western culture just happened to wander across the unmarked US border with Mexico. Pretty sure I'd be fairly suspicious of their motives. And political hay would be made before the inevitable return.

A lot of effort and time went into telling these idiots not to go to Iraq or Iran, but they were too cool to listen. I'm sure they thought they were smarter than all those worrywart professionals who just didn't understand that the world is not a hostile place if you don't carry hostility inside yourself, or some such hippie horse****.

Now they need professionals and the full force of the US government to get them out of a situation they willingly and deliberately put themselves in. They have compromised their own safety, possibly that of others, and damaged US foreign policy abilities and goals in the region.

There are plenty of places to go in the world and things to see besides Iraq. I truly understand there are amazing things to see there. However, choosing Iraq and the Iranian border right now are a sign that you're incredibly ignorant or astonishingly arrogant. Or a wonderful melange of the two.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
However, choosing Iraq and the Iranian border right now are a sign that you're incredibly ignorant or astonishingly arrogant. Or a wonderful melange of the two.
No ****.

They are Americans, after all. What did you expect?

On a serious note, they can't really have damaged US relations in that part of the world on any serious level. Honestly, that's like yelling at someone for sneezing on a corpse, worried that you might spread a cold to the dead body...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The back channel bs that's going into the efforts there, I'm sure, are using our very limited assets and leverage in and on Iran to get them out, not to accomplish our policy goals. And PR's a battle in and of itself. Just sayin'.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Tens of thousands of troops over there that want to come home, these 3 hipsters go cruising in to "hike". F 'em, put guns in their hands...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Aaaaaaand... end scene. In an Iranian pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Not this cracker. I've had a brain injury and even I recognize that "hiking the Iranian border" is fvcking stupid.
you're right, because now that I remember, Lisa Ling's dumbass sister and friend got themselves caught on the border of North Korea a year or so ago. And this was a woman with a husband and small child at home, wtf!! If it wasn't for US intervention and her sister's high profile they were looking at 10 years hard labor I believe.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
A good friend wrote this book. http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Islam-Saiid-Rabiipour/dp/1615795138

He was born and raised in Iran. He was sent to the US by the Shaw just prior to the coupe to got to college and train for military duty at the Citadel as some joint thing between the US & Iran. Then he was stuck here, terrified to go back and be killed. He eventually was granted dual citizenship.

After everything changed again, he flew home several years back to visit his parents he'd not seen in decades with his brother. Shlt hit the fan and he was trapped there with his wife and children here.

Great guy. Awesome book.