Quantcast

Sugar Dh Pic

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
One of the xc guys at our store rode Sugar last week and took this pic of the jump at the exit of Lizards Lane. Supposedly it was going to be a 20ft gap but the owners balked. Our guys did say that they were definitely doing major work there, how it turns out is yet to be seen. Let the flaming of Sugar begin:redhot:

Attachments

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Man, they must be using some new measuring system that takes in to count the volume of the total jump. I mean 20 ft?.

I spit hot fire:hot:

Naw, personally the fact that Sugar is taking on the challenge of hosting a national and preparing for it is great news for all of the southern riders.

Kudos to Sugar Mtn. Maybe I will race this thing.......

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
spoke80 said:
Man, they must be using some new measuring system that takes in to count the volume of the total jump. I mean 20 ft?.

I spit hot fire:hot:

Naw, personally the fact that Sugar is taking on the challenge of hosting a national and preparing for it is great news for all of the southern riders.

Kudos to Sugar Mtn. Maybe I will race this thing.......
Hey Ben,
You know I have been skeptical through all this as well, but they do actually have a big crew of 15 to 20 people and they are using heavy machinery as well. It SOUNDS like they are working on the right stuff too. They fixed that stupid climb out of Lizard's Lane, and made the entrance like a freeway. I don't know who all is working on it, but I know Donovan is helping and he knows what's up.
National aside, it would be awesome if the course is actually fun, so we can go back up and ride it. Fingers still crossed.:)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
FYI...Kim just sent me an email yesterday about the course. Erich wants people to ride it and get some feedback. Anybody wanting to head up there, do it to it.

Edit: I'm going to try to get free and head up there Sunday. Lift won't be running though.

Oh, and as for that 20 foot distance...probably a good thing it's short b/c if it were wet in Lizards Lane....20 feet is almost impossible.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Ain't 20 pinkbike feet but I still think it looks well made and is a good sign that their trying to do things right.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
I agree. It looks like they really are trying to do it right. In the age of promoter/Norba bashing its nice to see some positive comments. Oh and it originally was supposed to be 20ft, isn't now. And there is supposed to be a double before the creek gap.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sounds like there's a group that is trying to give us a d.h. course that will do the south proud, when it comes to hosting a national.

i for one wish them good luck.
if this race is a success, maybe it'll be an eye opener for the people in charge of the mt.
and they just might continue to make improvements. and give us all another good place to ride.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, even though I have Windrock 15 miles from my house, I'd still travel to Sugar throughout the summer to ride fun course(s)!

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
profro said:
Yeah, even though I have Windrock 15 miles from my house, I'd still travel to Sugar throughout the summer to ride fun course(s)!
Me too, except the part about WR being 15 miles from my house :redhot:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
bizutch said:
FYI...Kim just sent me an email yesterday about the course. Erich wants people to ride it and get some feedback. Anybody wanting to head up there, do it to it.

Edit: I'm going to try to get free and head up there Sunday. Lift won't be running though.
Not sure what you mean here.

Is this an open invitation to test the trail?
And if so is it for any specific dates?
Wouldn't the builders want to be around to check out the lines to get more ideas?

enquiring minds want to know.
more.

thanks

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
DVNT said:
Not sure what you mean here.

Is this an open invitation to test the trail?
And if so is it for any specific dates?
Wouldn't the builders want to be around to check out the lines to get more ideas?

enquiring minds want to know.
more.

thanks
go to their site. It lists days and times the mountain is open to ride trails. Ride it. Send me an email and I'll let Erich know what needs to be fixed.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Off their site:
The slopes are open from dawn until dusk everyday except event days for mountain bikers, hikers, sightseers, picnickers etc. with the following guidelines:

Helmets recommended for all mountain bikers.
No one is allowed on any equipment such as lift towers.
All trash must be disposed of properly or carried away with you.

Summer lift rides are available July 4th weekend - Labor Day Weekend (Weekends Only): 10:00am - 5:30pm

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
thanks.

Didn't think they'd want people up there before the lifts were open, but I guess it's just as fast to um...cough...walk up anyway. :sneaky:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Look, I don't know the deal there, but I can GUARANTEE Sugar is not gonna let people on their mountain without at least signing a waiver, even if the lift is not running.
I would post the email from Kim, but I deleted it.

She nor Eric said anything about a waiver. If you're an XC rider, you can pull in the parking lot, get on your bike and ride all over the mountain all day every day with no fee. The lift is the only thing they charge for and make you sign a waiver for.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
bizutch said:
I would post the email from Kim, but I deleted it.

She nor Eric said anything about a waiver. If you're an XC rider, you can pull in the parking lot, get on your bike and ride all over the mountain all day every day with no fee. The lift is the only thing they charge for and make you sign a waiver for.
Well that is retarded on their part, but better for us.:)

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Jeremy R said:
Well that is retarded on their part, but better for us.:)
Ski resorts get special protection against dumba$$es that get hurt on their slopes. Since you are not an official invitee then there is almost no way to successfully bring suit against them. Plus MTB falls into that inherently risky activity.

BTW is there a way to get to the summit w/o a hike?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ztlh13 said:
Ski resorts get special protection against dumba$$es that get hurt on their slopes. Since you are not an official invitee then there is almost no way to successfully bring suit against them. Plus MTB falls into that inherently risky activity.

BTW is there a way to get to the summit w/o a hike?
They gave me the key to the gate with 1 vehicle to build the upper portion. Trying to see if Kim will allow me to take a car in to inspect and pre-run the upper section this Sunday. You gonna be at Massanutten or here?

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
bizutch said:
They gave me the key to the gate with 1 vehicle to build the upper portion. Trying to see if Kim will allow me to take a car in to inspect and pre-run the upper section this Sunday. You gonna be at Massanutten or here?
I am going to Massanutten, but I will be home Sat night. I can definately make it there!