Quantcast

Sugar Mtn - All New DH Course-details

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OK. So last fall I went to Sugar in the fall, cut a cool new section from the top that is an absolute blast. Then they freaked out and shut it down saying it was too dangerous.

Well, it's May and it's ON. Props to Kim(the "contact") and Erich (the trailmaster) for listening. They got my good friend Donovan up there (who built the original courses) to get a second opinion and he said...yup, go that way.

So the DH courses, Expert & Sport, will drop from the very top of the mountain. They've been up there for 2 weeks digging with a big crew, sometimes a backhoe and have created a new course.

Pros will come off the top through the 4 new areas then into Donovans Dungeon through a long, steep boulder descent into the first turn of the dungeon. From there, Erich and crew have built berms, drop and banks to drag you down to Lizards Lane, all staying to the woods side of the lift. You enter it from a higher point than before and a straight shot. The exit has been drasticly re-worked and a straight shot to a step down across the creek awaits you. Yes, there is a flat route around for novice. No more right hand to left hand to creek to uphill to flat.

He's going to lay out some more things below the exit on Easy Street, turns, berms, kicker, maybe a table top near the finish.

So to all those bashers, this ain't the same old same old. So we should have fun.

They did say they need some help in making sure the stuff from 3/4 to the exit of Lizards Lane will hold up and will take suggestions if something isn't working. They ask that riders try it out and let them know.

Also, this from Kim in Marketing:
If you are interested or know anyone interested in being up close with world-class mountain bikers please help us out by volunteering at the Showdown at Sugar Norba National Mountain bike competition June 8-11, 2006. Detailed volunteer info can be found in the attached pdf. Thank you for your consideration.-Kim JochlMarketing Director
http://www.skisugar.com/showdown/volunteers.phtml
All volunteers receive:

One volunteer event t-shirt
Lunch each day
One beverage coupon (maximum - one per volunteer)
One complimentary lift ticket for the 2006-07 winter season for each day worked. (5-8 hours)
One complimentary 2006 summer lift ride lift ticket for each day worked. (5-8 hours)

Fax:

Mail:
Holly Green - NMBS Volunteers
Sugar Mountain Resort
PO Box 369
Banner Elk, NC 28604

For more information contact Holly Green at 1.800.SUGAR.MT or 828.898.4521 x227

RIDING HOURS
The slopes are open from dawn until dusk everyday except event days for mountain bikers, hikers, sightseers, picnickers etc. with the following guidelines:

Helmets recommended for all mountain bikers.
No one is allowed on any equipment such as lift towers.
All trash must be disposed of properly or carried away with you.

Summer lift rides are available July 4th weekend - Labor Day Weekend (Weekends Only): 10:00am - 5:30pm

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
this sounds like very good news butch.
i'm hoping their enthusiasm doesn't wane after the race is over. and we can continue to have what is sounding like a good place to ride, for quite a long time.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Here's we we rode yesterday.

-the new top section is still very green and needs to be ridden.
-a couple sections in the new top need to be worked to help flow
-the rock drop section in the new top is fine now that they took out the right hand turn at the bottom. Good flow.
-the new section across the slope from the rock drop exit needs to be removed. It will be almost imossible to do that section and not kill your speed unless they pave it or remove all the rocks and roots.
-they need to put in more switchbacks in some sections to help control speed. Some sections are straight into steeper technical sections. Unless they put in some turns, racers we need to dump a lot of speed and kill flow. The sections right before the rock slab could use a S curve and the section before the new entrance into Donavon's Dungen needs one too.
-the new drop and trail into Donavon's Dungun needs a lot of work and holes filled to make it racable. They need to keep racing in wet conditions in mind. Its very rooty in there and once those roots get exposed it will kill some of the flow.
-the new section that goes form Donavon's Dungen to Lizards Lane is straight down the slope with some berms. It will be scary fast and will likely kill someone, but I enjoyed it.
- the entrance to Liazrds Lane needs a lot of work. Maybe a bridge?? Its still up hill and kills flow.
-Lizards lane and the new creek jump are good. The jump could use a slight lander, but nothing major.
-the new section of Easy Street will be fun. It wasn't tatally done, but it looks like they have planned lots of berms and jumps. Even a nice tabletop at the finish line.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
Here's we we rode yesterday.

-the new top section is still very green and needs to be ridden.
-a couple sections in the new top need to be worked to help flow
-the rock drop section in the new top is fine now that they took out the right hand turn at the bottom. Good flow. Good to hear. I told Eric that would make it much better
-the new section across the slope from the rock drop exit needs to be removed. It will be almost imossible to do that section and not kill your speed unless they pave it or remove all the rocks and roots.Eric said he might take the backhoe up and basicly smooth it out into a hip, which is what I originally tried to design it as, but it was SOLID rock! Cool.
-they need to put in more switchbacks in some sections to help control speed. Some sections are straight into steeper technical sections. Unless they put in some turns, racers we need to dump a lot of speed and kill flow. The sections right before the rock slab could use a S curve and the section before the new entrance into Donavon's Dungen needs one too.
-the new drop and trail into Donavon's Dungun needs a lot of work and holes filled to make it racable. They need to keep racing in wet conditions in mind. Its very rooty in there and once those roots get exposed it will kill some of the flow. that section is going to be my favorite if they finish it out the way I suggested it with some good fill in and stacking :love:
-the new section that goes form Donavon's Dungen to Lizards Lane is straight down the slope with some berms. It will be scary fast and will likely kill someone, but I enjoyed it.love this quote
- the entrance to Liazrds Lane needs a lot of work. Maybe a bridge?? Its still up hill and kills flow. Eric mentioned doing some more work there. Time will tell
-Lizards lane and the new creek jump are good. The jump could use a slight lander, but nothing major.big improvement over the old exit
-the new section of Easy Street will be fun. It wasn't tatally done, but it looks like they have planned lots of berms and jumps. Even a nice tabletop at the finish line.that part is what I can't wait to see

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Can we get an update on what the dual slalom course is going to look like? PLEASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE tell me they are going to make more of an effort than snowshoe did last year.....Although seeing gates just stuck in the grass brought back great memories of racing dual slalom back in the mid- 90's, I may only be heading to sugar for DS, so i would really like to see a long, fun, jumpy flowing course, if that isn't asking too much!!!

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Murphy's Law said:
Can we get an update on what the dual slalom course is going to look like? PLEASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE tell me they are going to make more of an effort than snowshoe did last year.....Although seeing gates just stuck in the grass brought back great memories of racing dual slalom back in the mid- 90's, I may only be heading to sugar for DS, so i would really like to see a long, fun, jumpy flowing course, if that isn't asking too much!!!

That 303 needs to hurry up and come so we can actually compare our times and see who's faster this season:sneaky:

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I would like to see Mick Hannah rip that Sugar course up :trophy_br

He might go to windrock beforehand .:teacher:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Guard said:
Below is the email I just received from Kim at Sugar...

Subject: Fw: sugar downhill course

Lifts will be running June 3 and 4. Regular summer weekend rates and times
apply http://www.skisugar.com/liftrides/. Spread the word.
SWEET! Locals advantage. Hope all you guys like staring at the tread marks of Michelin Comp 16's. I'm gonnna leave them all over that mountain for you guys to look at the first day of practice.

As for the DS, it's going to be pretty long, Eric is using earth moving equipment to do so and he has a background in ski racing so he knows flow and setup. He went to Snowshoe and we talked about it and he knows that course sucked and said he had no intentions of doing that to you guys.
I got Eric in touch with Herndon and Chris may go up there when they lay it out and shape it to give them an idea of what works and what doesn't. Course should be pretty long...and it's definitely going to fast.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
butch is the stuff we cut in last year? good to hear they are going to use it now.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
sweet hopefully i will be up there shootin some if i can allocate funds to drive up there.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
stubby said:
CRAP my sisters graduation is at 12.00 on the tenth.
Sorry SIS:) :mumble: :nopity:
:rofl: bikes before family. too funny.

and sounds like good news about the DS course butch....will that be open for riding the weekend before too or just the DH course?

Feb 13, 2005
NC
Hi,

I havent' seen the new stuff. Is there anything for the little guys that falls in between the main run and the really easy run from last year? The boy is not afraid of a drop or twelve so that's not the issue. I guess it was the slick rocks.

Anybody else our there with a 10 year old (or so) that plans to race Sugar this year?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Mountain Geeker said:
Hi,

I havent' seen the new stuff. Is there anything for the little guys that falls in between the main run and the really easy run from last year? The boy is not afraid of a drop or twelve so that's not the issue. I guess it was the slick rocks.

Anybody else our there with a 10 year old (or so) that plans to race Sugar this year?
I'd say the Super D course b/c it's on the older sport course, very tame.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So I need to bring my Demo and my Morewood?

Are we having DH, 4x and DS? Big weekend if that's the case.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
stubby said:
i think im gonna cry like a little girl. I really want cms to rescedule my sisters hs graduation!
yeah, and i'd like Yeti to reschedule my 303 ship date so i can race DH and super D at sugar, but these my friend, are things that are just out of our hands. so i too will be crying like a little school girl..... sounds like one hell of a DH course they are working on up there. I will be very sad if i have to miss this one, since i've already missed massanuten and will be missing the US Open next weekend.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Sell your car so you can buy a race bike, then bum rides to races and work. Then when your 303 comes next year, sell the dh bike and buy another car! :cool:

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
Hey! ya went and rode the new DH! its pretty awesome but ya as Pro Fro says we talked to Eric about the parts that need some work still.. right now its so green that the track has no flow at the top... the bottom and middle are fine..
I do suggest you guys make the top section a little more rideable.. almost to many rocks that you end up pushing with one leg through sections.. other than that there is one part at the bottom where you are flying down and all of a sudden you had to come to a complete stop to get around this ditch but I'm sure there will be a bridge or something at least which will be awesome!!
So ya track is a lot better than expected!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Dhracer3 said:
Hey! ya went and rode the new DH! its pretty awesome but ya as Pro Fro says we talked to Eric about the parts that need some work still.. right now its so green that the track has no flow at the top... the bottom and middle are fine..
I do suggest you guys make the top section a little more rideable.. almost to many rocks that you end up pushing with one leg through sections.. other than that there is one part at the bottom where you are flying down and all of a sudden you had to come to a complete stop to get around this ditch but I'm sure there will be a bridge or something at least which will be awesome!!
So ya track is a lot better than expected!!
glad you guys talked to him first person. I assume you're talking about the section AFTER the big boulder face and leading into Donovan's Dungeon right?

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
Ya after the boulder face onto the straight that whole section going into the woods there need to be smooth so we can get speed through it..
I was just finding myself pushing my bike through it.. also on the cool flat sections you come around a left corner into lizzards lane and and you almost have to come to a stop for the ditch...? if there was a bridge in it that would be awesome!
Good job on the rest of the course looks cool..!

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Dhracer3 said:
Ya after the boulder face onto the straight that whole section going into the woods there need to be smooth so we can get speed through it..
I was just finding myself pushing my bike through it.. also on the cool flat sections you come around a left corner into lizzards lane and and you almost have to come to a stop for the ditch...? if there was a bridge in it that would be awesome!
Good job on the rest of the course looks cool..!
Shouldn't you be in the city or something....you and your bridge...I thought you would have learned by now....bridges are bad :mumble:

BTW
I got a new fork in time for the Open...:)

Rode the Sugar course today and I have to say hats off to Butch and the rest of the trail crew for cutting this trail. Also Kim for allowing it!! Much improved over the old course. The rock drop at the top reminds me a little of the old pro course at Beech. Anyway, my feed back for what it's worth:

Top section- Fast and fun. Rock drop will at least be over early in the run so you can stop thinking about it the whole way down. Love the rock face roll down - adds a little something different.

I had problems with the new entrance into Donovans dungeon. Once you drop down off the slope and make the right hand turn you have to scrub all your speed and try to pick your way through. If you are unlucky enough to blow through the corner like I did my second run (thought I needed more speed to smooth out the "throw you over the handlebars rocks and ruts") good luck getting back on your bike and getting any momentum for the next 50 feet or so. Once you get through that first fifty feet after the turn it's great.

The part under the lift before lizards lane is fast and it has some of the Mt. Snow type compression bumps that like to try and pitch you off the bike. I didn't see any problems going into lizards lane or through it, so maybe the ditch talked about earlier is fixed? Good old lizards lane is just that - never changes. The creek jump at the end is a nice improvement.

The rest is just slope mostly. They do route you back and forth and briefly go through the woods and back onto the slope. Big table top at the bottom. Will be curious to see what else gets added.

No sign of any work on a dual slalom course. Maybe NORBA has their own crew to do this right before the race???

nchuckster

Chimp
Apr 11, 2005
have a few questions about this race. first of all i have never ran a race before and am not sure to what class i should run in. What is the difference between the sport class and the expert class. i have rode for a while and am confident in my riding abilities so im just confused about the two classifications.