Quantcast

Sugar this weekend?

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Looks like I am going to be in Boone this weekend and was wondering if anyone else was going to be at Sugar on saturday?

EDIT: Open to pretty much any day this weekend.

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I emptied 2 cans of spray on that nest last Sunday. Josh, I will get up there and kill the rest of the nest Friday if I'm not on an ambulance. Also just a reminder:we are running the lift this Saturday, Sunday and Monday. And don't forget about oktoberfest- October 8th and 9th.

Last edited:

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I emptied 2 cans of spray on that nest last Sunday. Josh, I will get up there and kill the rest of the nest Friday if I'm not on an ambulance. Also just a reminder:we are running the lift this Saturday, Sunday and Monday. And don't forget about oktoberfest- October 8th and 9th.
They did not bother me cause I'm that fast :rolleyes: but one on the guys riding with me was a little slow and came running out of there w/ no bike

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
So I'm open to any day this weekend really if anyone else is going to be around. It will probably be Saturday though if no one else is going.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Yeah we stop the lift if thunder/lightning is around after we get everyone off of it. The hornet situation at the top of the super d has been handled. Weather looks good saturday and sunday and most of monday. Looks like rain from the tropical storm in the gulf late monday.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Got a wild air up my ass and decided late last night to load up and head up there to get in some afternoon runs. But apparently I got 100% of the 30% chance of rain. Bummer.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
After the dungeon traverse straight across to the top of the super d in between flying mile and sugar slalom.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Got a wild air up my ass and decided late last night to load up and head up there to get in some afternoon runs. But apparently I got 100% of the 30% chance of rain. Bummer.
That sucks man. We got there at 10:15 and were able to get 2 completely dry runs in, then it started raining lightly on the 3rd lift ride. Stopped raining again, thought all was good, then get down to Lizard's Lane and the torrential downpour began. Most fun run of the day, but we were done after that. No way we were riding the lift for an agonizing 30+ minutes in dripping wet gear.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
The guy running the lift said I could ride if I wanted to. But I'd be riding solo and then have to deal with clean-up. I've ridden that place during and after a downpour so there was no sense of curiosity at all.

I did, however get to drive my toaster in the mountains for the first time. The Honda Element kicks ass.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
The guy running the lift said I could ride if I wanted to. But I'd be riding solo and then have to deal with clean-up. I've ridden that place during and after a downpour so there was no sense of curiosity at all.

I did, however get to drive my toaster in the mountains for the first time. The Honda Element kicks ass.
My GF drives an Element too and it is great. Drove it from Raleigh to Boone this weekend with two dogs (one of which is a great dane) and my bike inside with all our stuff. Wouldn't say plenty of room, but definitely enough and very versatile.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I can't say enough good things about it, best car I've owned so far.

Aside from the obvious versatility and ability to transport cargo, it drives very well. It has a lot of torque and handles like a small truck. I was a bit apprehensive at first about it only being a four cylinder, but the toaster has plenty of power. I was able to pass slower drivers going up 421 to Boone no problem. It is 4WD but is only active if it senses the front wheels slipping. The rutted out, wet, muddy dirt road up to the grey lift at sugar was no problem. Plenty of traction.

As far as mpg goes I get a combined in-town and hwy. of 21 mpg. Not great but not bad either. Works out to be slightly better than my last two cars, Pontiac Grand Prix and Dodge Caravan.

It does lack a lot of bells and whistles found on similarly priced vehicles but the basic utilitarian function is what appeals to me. Hard to go wrong with rubber floors and stain resistant fabric.

If you're looking for a used one, I'd go for one from a dealer that's Honda certified.

Moar here

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up: Trails at Sugar don't open until May 1st. Please give the trail crew time to do maintenance. Everything is really soft from the weather and needs time to firm up. Thanks.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Unfortunately there is nothing on the mountain informing riders that the trails are closed. And please, trail maintenance is much different than completely rerouting classic Sugar Mtn lines.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up: Trails at Sugar don't open until May 1st. Please give the trail crew time to do maintenance. Everything is really soft from the weather and needs time to firm up. Thanks.
Trail crew? oh boy. Send me a PM bro, you're ruining the classics and doing bad trail work.

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
http://skisugar.com/

Wtf are you talking, what classics are being ruined, and why would I send you a pm...bro? The only thing rerouted was the entrance to lizards because it was beyond repair and will just rut out like it did before. Closed until May 1st thanks.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Rerouting the entrance means changing the way the trail drops in not making it so it drops in at the same place and then turns before a sick section, whatever is going on in donovans is not okay and your "reroute" into lizards will not last and is way to slow speed for where it is. Stop changing the trail so you can ride it. What you are doing looks terrible; you are building to your riding level and it does not look sustainable. Other people love sugar just as much as you do and ride there just as much as you do. Sugar is not an official trail, it's kept running by locals, not a "trail crew". As a fellow local you should know this and should have taken into consideration the large group of riders and builders who have many years of experience before making your changes which will be washed away by the first big storm. We have put in a ton of work to keep the trail running and when we do our work we finish it up so it is safe before we leave, if we were to have to leave a section unfinished we would make it obvious to riders so that nobody would get hurt. I asked you to send me a PM so I wouldn't have to say all of that publicly but oh well.

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
The trail is kept up by Sugar employees. Any extra work done by "locals" is without permission. Dungeon reroute was temporary and not done by me. The big tree is cut and out of the way and the line into the dungeon is the same as it was. Is that "ok" with you? Why don't you stop being an asshole? You are complaining about legitimate work being done in an effort to make the trails more sustainable. A lot of the drainage work under the lift isn't completed yet hence the reason trails are closed until the 1st. If the trail sucks as bad as you say it does when they are done then why don't you go shuttle headley and quit your bitching.

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I think headleys better suits your riding style, you should bring your trainer with you to warm up for your runs.
I'm not being an asshole, I'm pissed off because of how sketchy your trail work is. Your style of work could very easily take someone off the bike for a season or forever. You should try consulting the huge resource of skilled trail builders, it seems to be working pretty well for the other spots up here.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Anyways to metalhead: Signs at the base of the mountain say closed however I realize that their are not signs up top. So I just wanted to give people a heads up that trail work is being done and it won't be open til May 1st.

Hunter:I don't know what you have against me personally and don't really care. I will never be as rad as you think you are. I am sorry that a magic wand can't be waived over your bike to make it work. Maybe make sure your bolts are tight before you ride so splines aren't ruined etc. I am happy to talk to you face to face and settle whatever beef you have with me like adults. I wish I could give everyone their 10 minutes back but the kid in me got carried away. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I said it last year and I'll say it again, Sugar is the best single DH trail in the south (Windrock still rules all) so Brad must be doing something right (with help from others). Keep it up Brad!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I hate the word "sustainable". IMBA is ruining mountain biking.

I wish people would recognize there is a difference between mountain biking and dirt road biking.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Brad, I suggest the Block/Hide feature. I had to block him a while back to keep my cool. When you read this thread in that manner with all his posts hidden, it's much funnier. :thumb:

I'll be the first to say I did my best when I picked out the route through the woods up top and did the new entrance to Donovans. It was all to get the trail off the slope and into the woods. Even the little turtle rock to the left which some love/hate up top was so we had to slow down rather than carve across the slope onto the rock bald.

But all the ideas we had those few weekends were cutting stuff in and never getting to finish what we started. It all got shut down by management temporarily for fear of people getting hurt.

Once I got Donovan on the horn to get him to talk to Kim, he gave her confidence it could be ridden. But we were never had time to finish it before Nationals. Heck, alot of it is still not what I had intended in mind for the top. The original Nationals course, including the original drop will continue to run as long as you guys keep "tuning up" the trail.

But I learned from that experience that even though I thought we were shut down and all our hard work wasted, it still worked out in the end. Management at Sugar is conservative and slow moving, but they STILL allow us up there. STILL! That is awesome!

Be patient guys and remember that just because a few runs were a bummer, long term you still get your turns there free of charge.

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC

I wish people would recognize there is a difference between mountain biking and dirt road biking.
The Appalachian mountains were once as high as the Alps and Rockies, but they were not built to the proper sustainability standards so......

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Hey guys just wanted to clear a few things up. Not trying to start another e-argument, Hunter- my invitation for you to sit down and handle your issues with me like adults is still open and always will be, I'll even buy you a beer. I also ended up with an extra Saint lockring tool that you can have if you are still needing one. I remember you were having a hard time finding one.Profro- I will do my best not to use "sustainability" but no promises.
Sugar is not an official trail, it's kept running by locals, not a "trail crew".
Incorrect-5 total on trail crew, 4 are paid.
What you are doing looks terrible; you are building to your riding level and it does not look sustainable
Incorrect,check pics here http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f66/southeast-photo-thread-101849/index287/ and my training wheels won't fit through the dungeon entry so no, I am not building to my "level".
your "reroute" into lizards will not last and is way to slow speed for where it i
Incorrect-plenty of speed for uphill and multiple drainage precautions.I managed to unbolt my training wheels for a test run and I think it will run just as fast as before.
Sugar is not an official trail, it's kept running by locals
Incorrect-Sugar trails are advertised in local magazines and on the website. People pay to ride and hike them and there is a designated timeline on when they are in operation. Don't really know what constitutes "official" but it seems so to me and people who pay to ride Sugar that it is. I don't think people would pay to ride/hike it otherwise.
We have put in a ton of work to keep the trail running and when we do our work we finish it up so it is safe before we leave, if we were to have to leave a section unfinished we would make it obvious to riders so that nobody would get hurt.
Yes you have put in a lot of work. However, any work done without permission or riding when the trails are closed constitutes trespassing. Management, security, and Sugar Police are cracking down on it this year so be forewarned. As far as you guys riding and not knowing trail work was being done-There is a large sign at the entrance to Sugar that says "closed for season" that you pass every time you shuttle. I just got clearance to post closed signs at the top and especially under the lift to prevent injuries.
You should try consulting the huge resource of skilled trail builders
A little about my background first:I worked at Grandfather Mountain as a Ranger for 5 years before it was sold to the state. My primary responsibility was trail maintenance and safety. We worked with State Rangers from Elk Knob, South mountain State Park, as well as Rangers from the parkway and federal agencies. We also did a lot of cooperative work with Outward Bound. I have a federal chainsaw permit as well. I also have 11 years experience as a landscaper for Brock and Sons Landscaping and Mcmanus Farms Inc. I have limited machine operation experience and that is where Erich, Andrew and the rest of the crew excel. Sorry for so many words but Sugar's integrity as a great place to ride is very important to me. I have worked there since I was 17 years old. I'm 29 now and plan to work there for many years to come. Hope to see everyone out there or on the trails somewhere.-Brad

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

Agree with you to a point but FYI the section of sugar under the lift was pretty much garbage (a ditch that was not fun to ride) after just a few years. It was totally unsustainable and would be handlebar deep after a few more years of high country downpours. That is not practical for the landowner OR the riders that enjoy the trail. Fixing stuff like that is not ruining mountain biking. Everyone likes to sh1t a brick when someone fixes a trail but go see how much trails like Yancey's Ridge or even upper Black Mountain and Avery Creek have degraded in just the past few years to realize why sustainability concerns are important. A good builder can make drainage work and still keep the trail technical. Rant over.

Other than that, I'm staying far, far away from this discussion.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Not that I frequent sugar frequently, but last year i spent a weekend riding the lift at sugar and was surprised how eroded it was compared to when it was first prepared fir the nationals like 2-3 years before. most everything seemeed to be allright but the section under the lift was sooo eroded compared to the last time i was there. any work on that part can do nothing but fix what was going on before. I think work was needed and anyone bitching about it is just looking for something to bitch about.. not that anyone of you complainers paid the people working on the trails.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
A good builder can make drainage work and still keep the trail technical.
Exactly. I've seen your work and you and a few others are the exception. The IMBA trails I have seen, my local area included, are just glorified dirt paths. Last year when I rode Black Mtn. for the first time I nearly had premature ejaculation when I saw how rough and gnarly it was. Hell, there were roots 6" out of the ground. To me, thats mountain biking. When I saw the pictures of the new entrance to Lizard's Lane, I didn't get the same reaction. I guess its the state of mtn biking. Everyone seems to love smooth, bermed trails (i.e. "flow" trails). BTW I need to go ride Black Mtn. again.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Exactly. I've seen your work and you and a few others are the exception. The IMBA trails I have seen, my local area included, are just glorified dirt paths. Last year when I rode Black Mtn. for the first time I nearly had premature ejaculation when I saw how rough and gnarly it was. Hell, there were roots 6" out of the ground. To me, thats mountain biking. When I saw the pictures of the new entrance to Lizard's Lane, I didn't get the same reaction. I guess its the state of mtn biking. Everyone seems to love smooth, bermed trails (i.e. "flow" trails). BTW I need to go ride Black Mtn. again.
Please tell me you finished that leg with a climb up to and down the long loop of Sycamore Cove. It's the icing on the Black Mountain cake. And did you did you do Daniel Ridge?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
No I was on a short time allowance and I only got the last bit of Black Mtn. I have ridden Daniel's Ridge from several angles. Farlow to Daniels is on my short list.