Quantcast

Sugar this weekend?

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I'll be there digging all day. I will be at the section under the lift so just take it easy through there. I will be doing a lot of rock work.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
FYI there have been a lot of complaints about people speeding and parking on private property. Please keep in mind the speed limit is 20 and all of the parking is private property. Switching drivers is the preferred method.

Also be careful on the section under the lift. The monsoon came before I could finish fixing the drainage before lizards. It rained so hard that the lander for the gap jump was slightly washed out. I got clearance to take my truck up the slope to get more rocks. Hopefully with my truck I can fix all of it in a day.

Last edited:

weezer23

Chimp
Dec 17, 2011
Nevermind figured it out. Good ride, couple spots were pretty sketch but def a technical trail. First time there, looking forward to going back once lift is running.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Kinda weird the way they posted it:

July 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th. Then every weekend until the first weekend in September. Then 2 days for Oktoberfest.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
The Snowshoe Bike Park is nationally recognized as one of the best in the United States. Sculpted into the mountain, the park offers 38 trails, 1,500 vertical feet of descent, with two high-speed lifts to return riders to the summit.
^^^Sugar; Take note!^^^^

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Hard to run them over 200fpm because people have to get on and off. It's hard for the lifties to unload bikes when it's running faster than 200fpm.

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
What ... ? Every other lift in the area is 2x as fast. People somehow manage to still get on and off.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
What ... ? Every other lift in the area is 2x as fast. People somehow manage to still get on and off.
Beech & Snowshoe are detachable quads, meaning the chair slows down after hitting the lift house, but does not affect the speed of the external speed of the whole line. Makes it possible to load/unload bikes.

Sugar has ZERO detachable quads, only 2 person lifts. A stout pair of people can load with bikes in hand on a two person lift and unload, but it's very hit and miss.
You go the speed of Beech or Snowshoe's lifts at Sugar and you'd better hit the ground at a dead sprint. I've been told by staff in the past that Sugar has no intent of upgrading to a quad either b/c the load their runs get from even the slower lifts in winter is more than the mountain can handle.

He said if they installed a high speed quad, you'd just have to wait faster???

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Butch is 100% correct. If Sugar had a high speed detachable lift then they would have a huge problem with 6000+ people standing around in the middle of the slopes in the winter. They actually run the lifts slower in the winter on super busy days. This balances out the amount of people standing in line, on the lift, and people on the slopes. Sucks for us mountain bikers but it's the way it is.