Quantcast

Suggest a helmet

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It seems that most people either fit well in Giro Helmets or Bell Helmets. If you have a Bell helmet fitting head, look at the deal Jensonusa.com has on Bell X-Rays! $50 for a really well vented and light helmet!!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
bluebug32 said:
I'm looking to buy a new helmet. What's your favorite reasonably priced one?

For Mtn biking, Giro Zen, on sale, otherwise they're $$$, is great. The bell influx is pretty good. The bell Influx makes a pretty decent road helmet too, if you remove the visor.

For road, Giiro Atmos, accept no substitutes, and they aren't cheap.

Whatever you buy, find a shop and try it on first, even if you buy off the internet.

Edit> Bell x-ray is good too.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a couple of Bell Helmets that fit well (an Influx and a X-ray I think or maybe it's 2 Influxes). They were just on sale (if you have a small head) at Performance for really cheap (like $30-40 I think).

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I always debated whether or not to get a "better" ie more expensive helmet. last year after seeing a terrible bike accident I vowed to wear my helmet all the time, even just cruising on the road. with that decision I figured if i am going to wear a helmet it should be one that I like and light /cool enough. I decided i would look for a "better" helmet. I got an E2 on sale ($75) and I think it is so much better than my old specialized helmet. It was cooler, lighter more stylish etc!!!! Does a more expensive helmet save your life any better than a "cheap" one?? i have no idea.. but getting a helmet i like makes me wear it more and thats the important thing

so I would get one you like, that fits good, comfortable etc, and dont worry about the price so much... your head is worth it!!

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
hooples3 said:
Does a more expensive helmet save your life any better than a "cheap" one??
Nope, they all have to pass the same tests. They get more expensive because they get lighter and more ventilated. Think about that, you're paying more for less :rolleyes: And in some cases (Specialized Decibel and Giro Atmos) use carbon.

J

JRB

I really like E2s. That said, I have a Ghisallo for the road and an X-Ray that I keep a light on. The fit system is best on the E2. However, top line Bells are replacable for $35. Giro is simply 30% off retail. Try the new Bell Sweep. They look nice. Find a fit and get you one on the intarweb with a coupon. I just got a new E2 for $75 plus shipping.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Giro Xen as a skid lid.
I'm running a vigor vamoose 2 carbon fiber for my full face but the giro mad max helmets arent bad

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
My xen has a better fit than my E2 -- pushes funny on the center of my forehead, but the E2 is much cooler in the summer heat around these here parts.

J

JRB

bluebug32 said:
It's weird why they're so damn expensive! But I guess everything bike-related is...
Some dummy was riding a busted Atmos 2 weeks ago, because she paid so much. I said, you know it did it's job, right??? Some people. :think:

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
loco said:
Some dummy was riding a busted Atmos 2 weeks ago, because she paid so much. I said, you know it did it's job, right??? Some people. :think:

There is always a couple of people at our group rides with toasted helmets that should have been tossed long ago.Funny thing is they will drop $50 for a carbon fiber bottle cage to hold their water bottle but won't shell out the cash for a helmet :think:

J

JRB

GravityFreakTJ said:
There is always a couple of people at our group rides with toasted helmets that should have been tossed long ago.Funny thing is they will drop $50 for a carbon fiber bottle cage to hold their water bottle but won't shell out the cash for a helmet :think:
Seems dumb. :nope:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
im really liking my xen. i picked it up off of someone for $65 and it was barely used so i got a great deal. its very comfortable, well ventilated, fits well, isnt heavy, and best of all, it provides the most protection out of any of the non-full face helmets that ive used. i wouldnt go cheap on a helmet because you think that the expensive ones arent worth it. youll be wearing it everytime (hopefully) you ride so why not get what is most comfortable?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Aubrey loves her Specialized helmet.
To bad you can't get hear early today we could go take a look at Darkhorse cycles for ya.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I buy whatever decent Giro helmet is on sale. Right now I am sporting an orange Xen...paid like $80 at Performance online (half price). I have also owned a Giro Gila and an E2, but broke them. I'm about due to break the Xen....

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I really like my xen. It just fits my head better than my bell did. I never think about it, it's just there. And the Atmos, it's like not wearing a helmet at all.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I have a a Specialized M1 helmet for XC. Light, comfy, good vents.
And a TLD D2 carbon for hardcore DH pimp-factor;) 'nuff said

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
Aubrey loves her Specialized helmet.
To bad you can't get hear early today we could go take a look at Darkhorse cycles for ya.
yeah, I hear that's a nice place. We'll have to meet there some Sat. morning. How late are they open during the week?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
yeah, I hear that's a nice place. We'll have to meet there some Sat. morning. How late are they open during the week?
It's 5min down the road from Stewart. I wanted to drop my bike of there tonight so if you can be there by 5:45 lets do it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Ok, now I know what's going on

I guess I was off...(gasp)...doing actual work at work
You just don't Multi-task well enough to hang....