Quantcast

Suggest one "must ride" trail for my summer road trip to Whistler

camarush

Chimp
Sep 14, 2010
San Jose, Ca
End of June 2012, taking the big bikes to Whistler Mountain Bike Park from San Francisco Bay Area (road trip). Looking at stopping at only one place along the way for a ride due to time constraints (these 3 suggestions are all "about" halfway). Must be able to shuttle (either through a provider or with my extra non-rider driver). The following places are all on my list, but which one is a must ride if I can only choose one?

1. Ashland, Or (Time Warp)
2. Oakridge, Or (Alpine Trail)
2. Bend, Or (Whoops Trail - won't have time for the full 26 mile day)

Skill/Experience/Background: Regular rides - P-Town Boy Scout. Favorite Whistler Trail - Dirt Merchant. Bikes 40+lb 8inches travel (no cross country pedaling for us). Mainly looking for fast downhill with some airtime, berms, flow, drops etc, but since we will likely only get one run in, we don't want to be stopping every 5 minutes to scope each feature. I have done my video research and all of these look good, just wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks for any help.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Ashland is really the only one on your list that fits your description. Whoops is short and Alpine is much more suited to a trail bike. Post Canyon in Hood River would be another good option.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Maybe Blackrock would be up your alley. Like beef said Whoops isn't much more than a rippin XC trail. I've never ridden Alpine but I surmise it is mostly trail riding. Blackrock is a more go out and play on stunts type of place.

Look it up and see what you think

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Of those three I'd vote Alpine. You'll suffer on a couple climbs but have fun on the downhill. There aren't too many jumps though...just fast flowy singletrack that are insanely fun.

camarush

Chimp
Sep 14, 2010
San Jose, Ca
Thanks everyone, Post Canyon is new to me but now on my radar (it looks great). I was planning to hit Blackrock on the way back. I am now considering dropping one day of riding in Whistler Park to explore more places like this.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Post, Blackrock, Ravens Ridge, SSOD/OD, Syncline, Larch are all worth riding in Portland area.
This guy knows his stuff!

Post Canyon is definitely the best option for you, the DH, jumps, drops and stunts are all shuttle accessible.

Blackrock is amazing but there is no shuttle access. It's either a 1 hour hike up or you're pedaling up it.

Syncline would be great too, some good rocky DH and it's right across the river from Post Canyon.

Those are the bigger, more well known places up here.

Funkster?

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Push on till right before Whistler, Squamish is worth the stop. The area behind the university is pretty easy shuttle/hike and is well marked. You can pick up a map of the area at Tantalus.