Quantcast

suggest stuff to keep me from killing myself

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i can't ride a bike. I can't swim. or run. I can walk but have you ever walked for fun? walking is what old people do. and last time I walked at the park (five miles or so), I got lapped by old people.

I can sit for short periods of time. I can lay down. I can stand up.

I have watched every movie on the internet. read all the books. even woke the dead.

I've been "playing" guitar, doing watercolor paintings (try to do one or so a day, often do many more), cooking food that I wouldn't normally cook. and pricing shotguns.

suggest away.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i don't play video games. never have. real pinball is cool but i can't play really well because bumping the machine kills my back.

and war was declared on my wiener DECADES ago.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
if walking gets you outside, stick with walking until your back is healed.
call some friends and ask for company.
volunteer at the shelter, walk dogs & cats.
just get out, and talk to people.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah walk loops and alley ways, look for interesting pockets of the city to wander, especially if you aren't familiar with it. Its fun to link up hills and routes that need exploring.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Yo! Why can't you do any of that stuff?

And for the record, yes, for a couple of years about all I could do was walk and only for limited distances. This is great time of year for walking slowly in the woods looking for mushrooms!

Again, why can't you ride, swim, run, sit, etc?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Yeah walk loops and alley ways, look for interesting pockets of the city to wander, especially if you aren't familiar with it. Its fun to link up hills and routes that need exploring.
i work deep in the city. I'm WELL familiar with it.

I work evenings, so my work hours don't line up with anyone I know. and I have ALL DAY to do nothing. even if I walk for 2 hours, that still leaves me. all. day. until I have to be at work.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I had my second back surgery a few months ago. still in a lot of pain.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Honestly, I've had the same discussion with myself for the same reason a few times. Start making things. Start a small business - this is actually what I did. Even a little business -something created solely by you- will consume so much of your thought you won't have time for the other crap.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
that is why I have been painting. just putting color on paper to pass the time. Selling is different. I can create all day long. I can't get people to give me money for stuff though. been trying for years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that is why I have been painting. just putting color on paper to pass the time. Selling is different. I can create all day long. I can't get people to give me money for stuff though. been trying for years.
Creative stuff... Wood working / whittling, knitting, models (cars boats etc), remote control car kit, learn to tie fly knots, cooking/baking? Pottery/sculpture, learn a (new) musical instrument, write a book....

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My friend have you heard of the wonders of weed and beer? There is crocheting, graffiti, hookers, you could look for some sort of crap to collect, press leaves, draw chicks doing yoga at the park, make stuff outta clay.

You shouldn’t really be bumping the pinball machines anyway so you could go and give them an honest try.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i grew up with a woodshop. if it's made out of wood, I've probably made it.
I learned how to knit during my first back surgery 11 years or so ago.
I've done stained glass, metal work (art stuff), tile work (art stuff), fabric stuff, paper stuff. carved leather etc. making stuff is something i've well versed in. :)
I can "play" the harmonica, fiddle, guitar,...

here are some links to some of my recent watercolors. I have a old af phone and no modern apps work for uploading images. these links should work though.

https://linx.li/selif/4un6endn.jpg
https://linx.li/selif/xlk3fxv8.jpg
https://linx.li/selif/ncgbtz2u.jpg
https://linx.li/selif/nupgy4yt.jpg
https://linx.li/selif/uj9mf3i3.jpg
https://linx.li/selif/hgjedurw.jpg

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
^maybe for you.

I took a spanish class once. AND my mom was a HS spanish teacher. I struggle to order at taco bell... (not really, I don't eat fast food, but you know what i'm sayin')

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
start a hype website and media campaign for a mysterious mountain bike company with only the “best” co-founders that promises solutions to all the problems bikers never even knew they had...oh wait, that’s been done recently...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Access to a pool has been very beneficial to my health and my back in particular. When I could not do anything. I could always swim.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I dropped a lot of weight in AZ just going for a walk every day, just go to different spots and do it. I may be in a similar situation in a month or so, got an MRI for my foot next week and doc is pretty sure it's going to be surgery to remove some fractured bone in the joint. 6 or so weeks without putting weight on it and maybe back to running in 6 months, I assume I'll be riding well before then, but not high-impact at first. I'd like to be able to participate in some of the later winter races though, so that's my hope.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
If you like to listen to music and like to build things I would recommend making yourself a pair of DIY speakers. The process of researching (drivers, crossover networks etc.), designing, and building the enclosures is a lot of fun and the result is something that you may enjoys for years to come.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my younger brother had success with accupuncture on what he thought was a severely fucked shoulder....