Quantcast

Suggest to me Flat Pedals

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I gave away my only set of flat pedals, some sort of BMX alloys we called meat grinders - don't really want those back. I usually ride spds but want to simplify my quickie after work rides and to make it easy for others to borrow a bike. What's good these days?

EDIT: Former flats were DMR from way back.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't waste money on high end flats unless you want something super thin.

Plastic flat pedals are where it's at. Cheap and won't chew up your legs as much.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ill have to admit i didnt ride that much last year. But i did 2 Swiss downhill races (long weekends) and a month long road trip riding lots of rocky German and Swiss DH pretty much every day and Im gonna need to replace quite a few allready.
They have taken quite some abuse from my short time on them but I think pins need exchanging more then my previous pedals.

They are nice and thin and the spin control works well.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Don't waste money on high end flats unless you want something super thin.

Plastic flat pedals are where it's at. Cheap and won't chew up your legs as much.
The last pedals were broad and thick, would regularly hit rocks under hard pedaling. They were also completely flat and slipped easily. I want concave without filing pins down.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
have been running the same set of kona wah wahs for probably 7 years. good size platform, bottom loading, bombproof. had some race face atlases that I liked the feel of, but one kept developing play and the screws you have to remove to rebuild strip super easy. wahs went back on

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
So good one dentist bought 2? That's all I need to know except how well they work with argyle enduro socks.
My buddy has a used pair for sale - 100 bucks - not sure if its a good deal or not. Me thinks I'd offer him 50 bucks.

Shimano Saint and Wellgo MG-1 are sufficient and not dentist rated. But Chromag Scarab, Deity TMAC's, Canfield Crampons all are dentist qualified and very nice pedals. The Chromags used to have long spindles that bent easy, I think they fixed it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just found them, they come in Prince Purple. I'll need 3 pair so the price is right, if nylon pallets can handle 5 tons then these should work fine. I'll go with one set to start. Thanks.
The deity's are nice, they are one of the few plastic pedals that has replaceable pins. Fully rebuildable. And they have excellent customer service.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
My race face (Atlas?) have been awesome.
Heinous amounts of abuse and still spinning smooth.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
For the money I agree, the deity compound is great. However I can feel the pedal body in the middle it gives it a convex feel, something I don't like under foot, but great over all size. I have seen them take lots of abuse (DH) and they have real pins and replacement parts. Bladerunners are also fantastic. I am currently using burgtec penthouse mk4 the shape is perfect, but the cost is painful, and I was more than a little bummed that they didn't come with any extra pins. The mk4 might take over as my favorite outing the straitline defacto. I have also been surprised by the xpedo spry way more durable than I would have guessed. I like concave, offset pedals the most and super thin is not a great selling point for me. I can't understand why anyone likes crampons but different strokes. My road bike is the only clip in pedals I use everything else is flats and 5.10s.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Inexpensive and they work...Sun/Ringle Zuzu Pedals. Also have a set of RF Aeffects...which I dont use to the full extent of their radness-osity. Always liked Xpedo stuff too...

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Also looking for bottom loading pins. Considering Nukeproof Horizon, prices are all over the place.
Shimano DX are bottom loading.

Shimano DXs are decent value but develop play. Mine bent in a decent rock strike so replaced with Nukeproofs.
Nukeproofs (CRC) are good value and new model has bottom loading pins. I bent mine in another crash and replaced with Spank Spikes.
Spanks - bearings lasted me maybe 5 months, replaced one set (no warranty - fair wear and tear?) - got another 5 months and the were munted again.
DMR Vaults - a bit pricey but not Burgtec/Canfield stupid expensive. Mine are lasting and so far so good.

Only cheapish, indestructible pedals I've owned were Easton Flatboys but they're heavy and have top loading pins. Lasted me 6 years, 2 Whistler holidays, 2 Queenstown holidays and several race seasons.