Quantcast

suggestion...

dkis

Chimp
Feb 9, 2007
Southington, CT
i think that at the top of the mountain you should put a replacable summer trail map with all the bike trails on it so riders could check it out when they get at the top...then in the winter just replace it with your winter trail map. anyone???

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
What's wrong with the pump and tools at the bottom? or, you could bring your own pump to the top, and hope it doesn't get stolen.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
or there could be a continuumtransfuctioner to zap those pesky gophers that get in your way. it could also be used for those little kids that flame the crap pout of each other on ridemonkey.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i have a suggestion. how about people stop stealing all of the tools at the bottem of the mtn. and selling them for crack. lol

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
speaking of squirrels, at whistler on dirt merchant there was a completely flattened chipmunk on the takeoff of one of the step ups

Now that the Trail map is up and running(and VERY WELL DONE, I might add); I think a small improvement could be made to it......include video links to the trail map of helmet cam or whatever of each trail being run or walked.....like HIGHLAND has on their map.

2 cents

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Hm.

Isn't half the fun exploring the mountain on your own, instead of knowing every last inch of terrain before you pick up your bike? This is mountain biking. Get on your bike and ride!

Hamburgler

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Its not about knowing "every last inch of terrain" its about having a nice website to showcase your business. Shows you put effort into it...although smaller the experience as a whole at highland is a hell of a lot better than diablo. Whether its the welcoming staff or presence that says we want your business.

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
Its not about knowing "every last inch of terrain" its about having a nice website to showcase your business. Shows you put effort into it...although smaller the experience as a whole at highland is a hell of a lot better than diablo. Whether its the welcoming staff or presence that says we want your business.

oh boy... better put this on because it could get ugly in here

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007

Understood, but helmet-cam videos of every trail is a bit excessive. I designed the map so that riders could see the entirety of Diablo's trail network, but the fun therein for newer riders is looking at the map and choosing a route based on it's gnarly trail name, not knowing what to expect. If people can sit at their computers and "ride" every single trail before ever setting foot on the property, it would take away some of that thrill when you come up to all the neat little features scattered around for the first time.

And while I have my own complaints here and there about Diablo, I don't think they could be any more blatant about presenting themselves as "wanting your business." They have been building and blazing trails non-stop since the season opener, and I don't think anyone can deny that they aren't putting a ton of effort into the park as a whole.

DIablo is an awesome place. The crews here do a fantastic job and the mountain and it's trails are growing exponentially. The person or persons responsible for the map did a super job and that has helped increase ridership at Diablo......having a viable and current trail map is crucial.
With that being said, I feel that having video of each trail will in turn yield more riders and more income. In this day and age with tolls, gas, food, etc, INCREASING at a dramatic rate; if someone lived 3,4,6,9 hours away...KNOWING what the trails look like before traveling is going to be a deciding factor. I live 1.5 hours away and my first time was fun...but exhausting, because I did not know what to expect. I had to walk part of each trail and then ride it, because I am not an advanced rider, that was the safest thing to do. BUT....if there was a video of, say Tempset, I would have known to expect that big drop and not have to walk down and then back up and then ride it. People walking on the trails to scope them out is smart....but it can also be DANGEROUS. So having video will help and will not take away from the rider experience. YOUR RIDE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!

Last edited:

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Diablo has several videos of the trails on their website, as well as a host of rider-submitted videos all over youtube (just search "Diablo Freeride"). As I said before, the helmet cam view is a bit excessive, but certainly a new rider can get a good idea of what to expect from the YouTube and Diablo videos...

I disagree. These "Youtube" videos are all amateur and are poorly edited. The perspective is skewed and biased to accent what the author wanted you to see. A professionally filmed and edited video will not be as poorly made and biased( as in only showing what the author likes or dislikes) as the other videos. Again my two cents. Agree to disagree.

C. Rider

Chimp
Sep 6, 2007
I don't think that videos of the trails will help much, because you can't really appreciate how big or small the stunts are. For example I watched all videos of highland before I went there. I though that I was able to ride all trails but I was wrong everything there is huge nothing even close from what I perceived in the video.

So just come to Diablo get to know the place and ride the trails then just stay in the ones you enjoy the most and if you feel you are lost or don't know where to go just ask someone or have a copy of the map in your pocket.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Yeah, I still don't see the point. I walked down the trails for most of my first couple trips to Diablo, both to scope out the scene and due to a complete lack of skill. Two years later and I am barreling the same paths with a ton of confidence. Watching a helmet camera of someone hauling ass down Utah is NOT going to help a first-timer watching the video on their home computer a day before their inaugural trip.

The fun is in finding the trails and pushing yourself to do them, not editing your choices before you even get there because "they look too rocky on the videos". This is not and will never be an overly accessible sport; anyone attempting idownhill mountain biking needs adequate riding skills and a 'shut off switch' for risk analysis, not a preview to find all the easy stuff before even starting.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Just curious, why weren't the wallrides included in the feature legend on the trailmap?

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Alpine Wall rides are not considered a feature as they are wholly incorporated into the trail Alpine. There are no posted signs for the wall rides specifically. They fall under the same jurisdiction of the Careless Whisper skinnies, Salvation reverse rainbow, etc. in that the trail has a significant lead-in and lead-out from those features.

As for Stigmata, I stated my opinion with Shawn but suppose we will agree to disagree about its status. I originally mapped Stigmata as a technical feature, as it's my understanding that it would fall under the same blanket as, say, Das Wall, where the vast majority of the 'trail' is the actual technical section. Stigmata technically starts at the top of the rock face, and ends when it zips into Stalker (assuming a couple hundred feet overall). Shawn explained the reasoning why it is a trail and not a feature, but I will stick to my guns and consider it a technical feature, as Stigmata is singularly the rock face, with no accompanying trail to navigate...