Quantcast

suggestions 4 a cyclocross..

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
hey, im kinda out of my usual forum here but im lookin for a decent cyclo cross bike. im a cross between freeride/DH/and a drop of XC and im kinda interested ina cross bike to get me in better shape and to go fast on. i would like to keep the price around a $1000. any suggestions? my LBS has a yellow kona major jake (not sure if its 01 or 02) for $850, which seemed pretty sweet. also had 2 cannondale cross bikes which looked nice to. give me some feedback if you could. thanks

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Banshee Rider
hey, im kinda out of my usual forum here but im lookin for a decent cyclo cross bike. im a cross between freeride/DH/and a drop of XC and im kinda interested ina cross bike to get me in better shape and to go fast on. i would like to keep the price around a $1000. any suggestions? my LBS has a yellow kona major jake (not sure if its 01 or 02) for $850, which seemed pretty sweet. also had 2 cannondale cross bikes which looked nice to. give me some feedback if you could. thanks
Kona Jake the Snake with 105... what on the Major Jake???

I have ridden several CX bikes and nothing seems as versatile as the Kona... it also a good value. Cannondale will not give you nearly as much bang for the buck.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by indieboy
i think the surly is a tib bit more then a 1000 but none the less is a great bike, as well is the kona. i'd go w/ either one of those vs. the c'dale.
The Cross Check is definately $900 or less. It's got an ok spec, a tad heavy but durable.

And I'm pretty sure you can squeeze smaller 29" mtb tires on those.

:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
The Cross Check is definately $900 or less. It's got an ok spec, a tad heavy but durable.

And I'm pretty sure you can squeeze smaller 29" mtb tires on those.

:D
i thought it was 1140 or something like that? :confused: maybe that's w/ ulterga on it.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
i thought it was 1140 or something like that? :confused: maybe that's w/ ulterga on it.
Maybe you some kind of custom kit built up on one. Surly sells the complete Cross Check for $850, with the Deore/LX mixed package.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
That orange\yellow Jake may have been a 01? Good spec for the price!

Easton ultralight frame, steel fork.

Here are some reviews here

I would have bought a Jake but none of the local shops ever got them in.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Konas are good. Never ridden one, though. I wouldn't bother with the Surly. It's nice but it is probably really heavy and not a good enough value to justify it. I have an Empella Bonfire and it has served me well. For true CX bikes, not much can beat an Empella, Ridley or a high end Redline. However, if you don't want to spend that much, the Kona is proven and a good deal.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
thanks for all the replys, defenitly sounds like the kona or the surly, i trust both brands from their MTB frames, i dont really trust cannondale, their road bikes i guess are supposed to kick ass but i see a few broken XCs wheeled into the shop here in maine. seems both the major jake & cross check are 850-900 which is a good price. weight does not bother me at all, im used to pedaling my 45lb hardtail on 15+ mile rides so a cross bike shouldnt phase me to much :D thanks for the help, you guys seem alittle more friendly than the DH/FR guys. take it easy
P.S saw someone mention a high end redline, i ride a redline monocog for XC which i havent had any problems with (then again its singlespeed so there isnt to much to screw up) would their cross bike be any competition to the major jake or cross check?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Banshee Rider
thanks for all the replys, defenitly sounds like the kona or the surly, i trust both brands from their MTB frames, i dont really trust cannondale, their road bikes i guess are supposed to kick ass but i see a few broken XCs wheeled into the shop here in maine. seems both the major jake & cross check are 850-900 which is a good price. weight does not bother me at all, im used to pedaling my 45lb hardtail on 15+ mile rides so a cross bike shouldnt phase me to much :D thanks for the help, you guys seem alittle more friendly than the DH/FR guys. take it easy
P.S saw someone mention a high end redline, i ride a redline monocog for XC which i havent had any problems with (then again its singlespeed so there isnt to much to screw up) would their cross bike be any competition to the major jake or cross check?
redline makes an awesome cross bike. definiatly worth a shot as well

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
redline makes an awesome cross bike. definiatly worth a shot as well
I recently faced and chased one of those frames at the shop. They are ok, nothing to write home about. The welds are kinda jacked up looking, and the finish on them is awful - I can do better with old masking tape and Rustoleum. Really.

But hey, if rides nice...

If the Kona fits, I would go for that. The Surly is probably better for an all-around bike, (cross, commuting, touring, etc) but the Kona is probably a snappier ride.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
I recently faced and chased one of those frames at the shop. They are ok, nothing to write home about. The welds are kinda jacked up looking, and the finish on them is awful - I can do better with old masking tape and Rustoleum. Really.

But hey, if rides nice...

If the Kona fits, I would go for that. The Surly is probably better for an all-around bike, (cross, commuting, touring, etc) but the Kona is probably a snappier ride.
those things are SUPER cheap so you know how the old saying goes. you get what you pay for......

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
im leanin towards the kona alittle more right now, its 850 which is pretty damn cheap, handles nice. decent parts, looks pretty good. i used to ride a kona stinky and i ride a kona scab on and off and i havent really had problems with the frame itself, i trust kona alittle more just because ive had good experience with them, and my LBS deals mostly kona and cdale. im really not going to spend as much time on dirt roads as i am the pavement, at first i was lookin at a road bike but a friend at the shop said id b much better off with a cross but because i dont have to be quite so easy with it and itd be stupid fast on dirtroads. anyways im goin on and on here, im leanin towards the kona, i havent ridden the surly becuase they dont stock one and id hate to buy it and be dissapointd and wishi got the kona. . i think im just gonna go with the kona, thanks for all the help lol sorry for wasting 30seconds of you life when you read this last reply lol

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Ok I got to ride around on a Ritchey Swisscross yesterday. Damn its nice. Steel frame felt good.

Just thought I would share. :)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by eastcoastzigzag
-------honestly i found the surly cross check all built. also i work at a shop ;) gonna bag one up soon

call the dudes at IF and get the EP pricing, they'll hook ya up even if you arent' a dealership :eek: how fricking cool is that :p