Quantcast

Suggestions for “pedalable” DH bike

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Pedal-ability has to do more with set up and component choice than the frame, IMO. Even the frames with supposedly superior pedaling characteristics are dogs to spin with if you have little compression damping, a long, active fork, a short cockpit, heavy wheels and tires and a low seat. Switching to lighter tires and wheels and cranking up the compression and rebound damping (as well as SPV or Propedal depending on your components) will make a big difference. The ability to get your seat up high is important too. Some frames allow for more pedal-friendly set ups than others. I can ride around on the road with my DH bike if I have light tires on, the pressure in the tires high, and I jack up my seat. As long as I don't get out of the saddle it rolls fine. However, some of my friends with very similarly equipped bikes have a hard time pedaling through the lift line because they run DH tubes with barely 2 digits worth of pressure, road cassettes, slammed seats and sky-high handlebars. Good luck.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Hook up with Jose for a ride one of these days and see the stuff he does with his AC with a 5" QR fork. Insane. And he rides/pushes up the trail you've got in mind.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A Demo 8 is a good pedaller. I rode mine back to back w/ my Enduro my friend was riding yesterday and it was actually very similar.

Jun 18, 2004
dw said:
I pedal my 7POINT everywhere.

Dave
A prototype or a pro-deal? if I was in good w/Iron Horse I'd ride the Mk3 everywhere... but instead I pedal a Uzzi Vpx everywhere... and once I unload my Scream I'll just pedal the Vpx downhill and a 6.6 everywhere else...

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
there are some bikes that may fit your riding style better, for instance a lower travel DH/FR bike with a pedal platform susp. design and a shock that has something with/like pro-pedal would be good for a free-ride-bike that can be used for DH racing, and then there are bikes that are Solly design for DH racing but pedal great for what is needed on a Dh course, not necessarily up-hill such as a DHR

Jun 18, 2004
blue said:
You can ride any bike uphill with enough seat extension and a 22 ring.

True story.
Yeah like my Sceam w/a 888 and a 26/40 DRS... I'm definately over that one!

bob,bob,bob,bob, bobbobbobobobobobobobobobobobo, faster just to push it...