Quantcast

Suggestions for fast internet that is inexpensive?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
We're looking for new internet here, and I for one want something other than 90's dial-up :dead: (fastest speed I have ever had was 42kbps a few days ago). So, what is faster but does not cost much more than 20 dollars a month, or, preferably, less than 20 a month?
Thanks.
*And by less than 20 dollars, I mean that as the normal price, not the "limited time offer" price before the price gets bumped back up higher.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
1. find close neighbor who does not have a wireless connection that is encrypted.
2. get wireless card.
3. log onto their network and viola!
not technically legal though. :p

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
um no. You need some sort of ISP to connect to the dsl. Qwest would like to hook you up to MSN, but I think Microsoft is the evil empire, and I don't like hot mail, so I go with a local isp. It's like this.... Qwest provides the dsl juice, but you have to get some sort of hookup suscription to the juice, be it msn, or any other isp. Maybe one of the techhies here can explain it better. Oh, and I lease my dsl modem.. I know that's a rip but it's a business expense.
You may be able to find an isp cheaper than $15/mo, ask around. hth

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Yeah, where are the techies when I need them? I'm kinda confused. I thought that Qwest was an ISP?

Someone needs to clear this up....

I'm just looking for non-dial-up for around 20 or less a month total.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
David, you probably wont find broadband for that price. In your area you are also limited, you have either dialup (which is crap even with "speedboster, etc") Comcast Cable or Qwest/Verizon DSL (you'd have to check on this, might not even be able to get DSL there)

Depends on what services you have currently also, if you have Comcast TV you could do digital phone, and broadband package. Or something similiar from Qwest (SBC).

You'll have to ask your parents, see what all they have right now, see what might cut the total bills and add a few bucks to put towards an ISP.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
We dont need broadband, maybe just DSL. I'm sure our TV is Comacast, and I dont know what our phone is, maybe Qwest. Overall, I'm pretty confused, and right now I am the only one pushing for better internet. I'll look around, but if anyone has more input, please let me know. :)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
You are not going to find it for $20 or anything NEAR that. I'm sorry to tell you. If you already have Comcast for Cable, you can add the internet for about $40. If you sign up for DSL, its still going to be somewhere around $40.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Do you currently have a second line for internet? If so, use it as leverage ;)

Lowlevel basic, almost dial-up Qwest DSL (256k) will run you about 30 bucks a month, and they will tack on other charges for fun. Comcastic cable will run you about 40 if you're a current customer. You may have some sort of wireless available in your area. I know there's a provider around here called The Blue Zone or something that runs fairly cheap, midlevel speed wireless service, you might be able to get away with 20$ a month, run a google.

Oh, btw, Cable and DSL are both broadband...

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Look into Clearwire, they have a store front in Sehome Village, so far they are the most visible wireless in the area. No experience with it but might be worth looking into.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Shared wireless internet often blows goats.

If you have a second line for the internet, you can cancel the line and tack DSL onto your phone service - it won't be $20/month but the $18/month or whatever phone line cancellation will help to offset the cost of the DSL.

Otherwise, you're looking at $40/month cable. Some areas it can be had for as little as $35/month but I've never seen it cheaper.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
blue said:
Do you currently have a second line for internet? If so, use it as leverage ;)

Lowlevel basic, almost dial-up Qwest DSL (256k) will run you about 30 bucks a month, and they will tack on other charges for fun. Comcastic cable will run you about 40 if you're a current customer. You may have some sort of wireless available in your area. I know there's a provider around here called The Blue Zone or something that runs fairly cheap, midlevel speed wireless service, you might be able to get away with 20$ a month, run a google.

Oh, btw, Cable and DSL are both broadband...
do Qwest rates vary by locale, I wonder? I was paying $15/ mo for the slowest dsl, and upgraded to 1.5 for $29.95 /mo.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
binary visions said:
Shared wireless internet often blows goats.

If you have a second line for the internet, you can cancel the line and tack DSL onto your phone service - it won't be $20/month but the $18/month or whatever phone line cancellation will help to offset the cost of the DSL.

Otherwise, you're looking at $40/month cable. Some areas it can be had for as little as $35/month but I've never seen it cheaper.

Not a big deal really in Bellingham it's not crazy populated, he's gonna get far better speeds then with Dialup and I am not 100% convinced DSL is really that much better with all of the problems friends have hade with it. Not saying cable is the best, but until Fios gets out here to WA, it's what I'll stick with.

David - bottom line, I really dont think (and think most everyone here agrees) you'll find anything for $20 if your parents use the web, try and find a way to make it worth it to them. Explain the benefits, etc. And all the bunk about internet security on broadband, just do some research and be smart about everything, ISPs just use it primarily as a scare tactic.

Whatever you do, DONT get any AOL crap!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Don't worry, we stopped using AOL around the time, or before, version 3.0 came out. :p I have, many times, tried to explain why faster internet would be better, but I am the only one who really cares, so it looks like I'm in a losing battle. The cheapest I have found is 256k DSL for 27 a month, without a * afterwards. ;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
dwaugh said:
Don't worry, we stopped using AOL around the time, or before, version 3.0 came out. :p I have, many times, tried to explain why faster internet would be better, but I am the only one who really cares, so it looks like I'm in a losing battle. The cheapest I have found is 256k DSL for 27 a month, without a * afterwards. ;)

Cheapest/fastest overall solution I have found where I live is to dump the DSL and the land line and go cable and Vonage. I've done the math and we are dropping the phone line after the 1st. Cable is $45 a month after the first three months and Vonage is $25. This is less per month than the regular average phone bill alone (with more features) and better internet speed than DSL.

Cable + Vonage = $70/mo X 12 = $840/year
DSL + standard phone = at least $120/mo X 12 = $1440/year

Minimum savings = $600/year for much better speed and more phone options.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
H8R said:
DSL + standard phone = at least $120/mo X 12 = $1440/year
Uh, that "at least" assumes you make a lot of long distance calls and will also vary based on area. My phone + DSL was $65/month when I lived in NH.

Here, I can't get a dial tone for under $45/month, so the cable + Vonage package is much cheaper.