Quantcast

Suggestions for lively DH bikes?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Our local resort opened a bike park at the end of this season with large jumps with a bunch more to come. It got me rethinking my DH bike for next year since its that fun. I want to still race but still be lively and fun on the jump lines. I would say I ride 75% jump/flowy DH VS. 25% rocky tech DH.

Options (based off what I can get deals on or find a good deal on used)

Canfield Jedi
Turner DHR
Demo 8 (2011 or newer)
Knolly Podium
Banshee Legend

and open to other suggestions, have even thought of going the TR250 route but not sure if I want to step it down that much. Also, I don't really like single pivots so much, it may be more mental then anything but really love the feel of multi link bikes.

Also I have owned 2 of the above bikes this year (one was the wrong size) but won't say which so I can get more honest answers and I can see if my opinions on them match other peoples. That way I can judge your style vs mine.

So if you have time on any of these let me know how they compare. The more you have ridden the better.

THANKS

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If you're considering a TR250, why not a TR450? I like mine.

I remember the ride of the podium feeling weird. seemed to me like the rear end was super long. I'm not a very reliable source of info...

Get a demo. Everyone likes them.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
the demo is a super poppy bike, really cuts the corners and the short stays make it a real fun park bike, moreso than the jedi i came off of. The jedi was fun and poppy but the rearwards really made it better in the rocks, i find that my demo is a really unique bike, its low slack and short, which is 2 of the 3 things found in racebike geo, but the short stays from a dj/park bike really bring it to life. I hit everything from the highland claymore slopestyle course on it to the USO rock gardens.

*mine is set up way undersprung and wallowy, green 40 spring and stock rear spring-220lbs rider weight

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I know its almost a fox paw to suggest it on ridemonkey because the frame will explode if you look at it sideways (or at least, suddenly sprout huge dents), but you should consider a session 88. Its designed to do everything pretty damn well, its really lively and its got the ability to plow when you need it. literally every single review agrees on this fact.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
to try and make a long story short - i had a lively single pivot freeride bike that i had just built up. super lively, poppy, playful, fun.. i didn't want to get a DH bike because i thought i would lose all these attributes.

well, i rode my friends 2011 demo for one berm and one jump and put my bike up for sale the next day. i lost over $2000 on the sale just so i could get a new demo. it retained all the fun factor of the playful bike i was looking for, while gaining a whole lot more ability to shred downhill and to shred corners. not to mention the demo is an awesome freeride bike. i've hucked 50 ft stepdowns, 20 ft drops, 40 ft doubles.. the demo just smiles and says MORE PLEASE.

gotta post a pic like demo9.. lively jump demonstration:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Most of the bikes listed are plowers. Demo is a good choice. William suggesting session is also on point. Not the best in the rough but it feels agile.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Bubba - you been through a couple of bikes recently and I know you had a @$%# recently. I am no expert on DH bikes but from the info I read the Legend is not that poppy and alot of riders seem to like it or hate it but the general concensus is it takes a bit of getting used to.
Youve owned a 2010 Jedi and I know what issues you had and the 2011 was supposed to address them. I really like my 2010 Jedi in some ways and then feel bugged by others. It doesnt feel great through the rocks at low speed but then it mows through them when the speed is upped. Trouble is I need more pop at low speeds too. I feel the frame is a bit small for a large and often I feel like I am riding too far over the front wheel. Great for jumping but at times its like I am on my medium Wildcard. I struggled with the rearward axle path but thanks to Killington I added loads of LSC and a touch of HSC, since then it is awesome in the corners and doesnt seem to blow through the travel on drops. While it jumps really well I struggle to get it to pop off things like jumps with not kick or to double a rock section. I am also not convinced the Elka is the right shock for this bike or I have a dud. To make sure I wasnt wrong I sent it to Elka and it got a full rebuild and shipped back, all free. Great CS but convinces me I was right. After a couple of rides I noticed a couples of the issues returning so now I feel its time to try another shock. Thinking Vivid or Woodie. I will only be back home in SOuth Africa next March so I am in no rush.
Now I am in the same boat as you because I am back in Korea riding my Delerium. It is so smooth through rocks, jumps perfectly, corners like crazy, great HA/BB adjustablilty and with various build kit options to go FR/DH or AM/FR. Great bike all round. But I have been playing with my future plans when I will live in 1 place and have all my bikes together. I want a DH bike that feels like my Delerium, in fact I was thinking it would be great to have a 180mm Delerium with single or dual crown fork compatability. I think Knoel might just do this since the Chili is so close. Then Knolly would have a TR250 and Kalula competitor.
Having said that and with the same ideas as you my list was
TR450 - great reviews and seems to be agile and got the pop. Ianjenn's Downhillsnews.com has great reviews
Podium - figured I like the Delerium why not the Podium but I want to keep the chainstays shorter
M9 - seems to have the option to shorten travel, drop the BB, shorten the chainstay, change the HA and even the shock rate. Adjustablilty to maybe cover most things?

Then I got to thinking I really like how the Delerium rides so why not a mini DH specific bike and so
TR250 great adjustablilty again and great reviews
Kalula - reveiw seem to say it is plusha and rides like a bike with more travel.

If I go full DH rig I would want a bigger frame since this is the one area I feel the Jedi lets me down. If I decide I really just want a mini DH bike I might just try a Woodie on the Jedi March and make a call from there.

Great to be making these decisions though. Most companies are pushing out amazingly dialled bikes.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Thanks for the replies everyone, I do realize that the ones I listed are for the most part plow bikes. Oddly the Legend was the most poppy out of the ones I have tried/owned.

So is the DHR not poppy? that seems the be the word most associated with that bike. It was on the top of my list. I have to admit though that getting a used Demo would be a ton cheaper.

There are some local guys with 2011 demo's, maybe I will have to give one a try. Sadly the jumps I was talking about are now closed for the season.

SCARY

Not long enough
to try and make a long story short - i had a lively single pivot freeride bike that i had just built up. super lively, poppy, playful, fun.. i didn't want to get a DH bike because i thought i would lose all these attributes.

well, i rode my friends 2011 demo for one berm and one jump and put my bike up for sale the next day. i lost over $2000 on the sale just so i could get a new demo. it retained all the fun factor of the playful bike i was looking for, while gaining a whole lot more ability to shred downhill and to shred corners. not to mention the demo is an awesome freeride bike. i've hucked 50 ft stepdowns, 20 ft drops, 40 ft doubles.. the demo just smiles and says MORE PLEASE.

gotta post a pic like demo9.. lively jump demonstration:

Dude,that may be THEE sexiest jump/whip picture of all time....ever.It needs to be a poster somewhere.How do you bring the ass end back around..pedal really fast?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Demo. I'm a die-hard Yeti fan and have been for over a decade. I had a chance to try a lot of DH bikes on the same trails this summer (Demo, Session 88, V10c, 303rdh, etc). I was blown away by the Demo. I will have to REALLY like the new Yeti WCDH for me to not get the Demo this year.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Demo. I'm a die-hard Yeti fan and have been for over a decade. I had a chance to try a lot of DH bikes on the same trails this summer (Demo, Session 88, V10c, 303rdh, etc). I was blown away by the Demo. I will have to REALLY like the new Yeti WCDH for me to not get the Demo this year.
And you even live in CO now. What Blasphemy!! STONE HIM!!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks for the replies everyone, I do realize that the ones I listed are for the most part plow bikes. Oddly the Legend was the most poppy out of the ones I have tried/owned.

So is the DHR not poppy? that seems the be the word most associated with that bike. It was on the top of my list. I have to admit though that getting a used Demo would be a ton cheaper.

There are some local guys with 2011 demo's, maybe I will have to give one a try. Sadly the jumps I was talking about are now closed for the season.
Definitely get a ride in on a demo. There's not much that bike doesn't do well.

The newer DHRs are the most 'plow' of anything Turner has made but that's not saying much. They've still got all the pumping and popping efficiency of the single pivots but you just get punished less for knocking the crap out of things. And they do pedal really well.....better than most.

I'd say check out the demo, the turner and a TR250. I haven't ridden a 250 but under a competent rider it's no slouch on full blown dh trails. The one I rode behind went faster than my bike :D

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I probably need to test ride more new dh frames, but I can't believe how poppy my '10 Jedi is, at least once I got the proper weight spring for it. IMO, it doesn't matter what the jump face looks like - steep or rounded. Following a fast guy on a new Demo down Rainmaker (WP jump trail) and while he's pedalling in between jumps, I'm just cruising along and getting good air w/o trying. Probably also helping my impression of the Jedi is the Avy tuned Swinger 6 way, which matches well with the Avy carted 888 up front. Balanced front and rear goes a long way towards making for a good jumper.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

I love my legend and I really belive it is one of the best bikes available on the market today but lively it is not.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I love my legend and I really belive it is one of the best bikes available on the market today but lively it is not.
I loved mine too. It was a medium though and with me being 6 feet tall and having long arms it felt too small in the end. I was hitting my knees while pedaling. My current bike has almost 2" longer reach on it and I feel that may be a bit too much. I think something right inbetween would feel great (415-420mm).

The demo is sounding pretty good right now. It is by far the easiest to find used as well. I was planning on selling my current bike and getting a new one in the spring anyway so maybe i'll just sell it now and test a demo out for a month or two and if i don't like it i could sell it in the spring and follow through with my original plan.

I have to admit that the DHR is extremely tempting. I have always wanted to try a DW ling DH bike.

Anyone ridden both a DHR and Demo that could give a comparison?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My TR450 is poppy/lively as fyck. To the extent that hitting a waterbar at high speed sometimes gives you a little too much air (the faster line is to pre-jump and get back to pedaling).

It seems a single-pivot or whatever is closest to a SP in the OPs list (maybe the Demo?) would be desired.

DW link from my experience is more of a lip-eater.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Thanks again guys,

dang it, now I am really leaning towards a Demo frame. Never thought I would ride a specialized... It would look pretty funny since my wife has the 2010 SX trail in black ano. we would look like the couples who dress alike. It does look like a fun bike on paper and with everyone hear saying how awesome it is I may have to pull the trigger.

How does the Demo handle the rough sections? especially square edge hits? also how does it do in the traction department and brake jack? I have never ridden a FSR bike before.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i think its fine and i ride at diablo, so that should say something, lots of traction, i dont notice any brake problems, but i am not exactly the princess and the pea either...

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
woah, hold up there sunny. Just saw a pic and some info for the new 2012 TR450. Adjustable chainstays. So 17.5" -17.0" with same adjustable head angle, now I am seriously looking this route.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I have a fair bit of time on the TR and Legend also SCV-10 and Jedi. The TR is by far the most hoppy. It actually feels like a 6" bike on trail very easy to move around. I have not ridden a Demo but people seem to like them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That depends on which frame you're talking about. The DHR most definitely is not. It's not a sunday.
you saying a Sunday isn't lively/poppy? s'pose that depends how you run your rebound ;)

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
im not into "poppy" bikes,but I do know the 951,demo8 are some of the more popular "poppy" bikes,so is the are the yeti's ( granted I've never ridden any of these and going by wat people say about their bikes

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I'm in the same situation. I ride Highland mostly and have been on a Pushed Sunday for a few years (which is pretty dialed), but I would like it to be a bit more "poppy" for jumping and if possible lighter. Currently my Sunday is built at about 38 lbs. Problem with the Demo is I believe it's heavier (?) and the wheels would not transfer over due to the rear hub size.

I'm really leaning towards the TR 450. I'm not sure if it will be lighter, but I don't think it will be heavier, reports are good, price for frame & shock is great, everything from the Sunday will swap over and I like the company.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Problem with the Demo is I believe it's heavier (?) and the wheels would not transfer over due to the rear hub size.
Not sure about weight, but 2011+ Demos have the more standard 83mm BB 150mm rear end spacing. While typing, it occurred to me that you may be considering a used frame, in which case yeah, 2010- have the wonky 135mm rear.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
2011+ demos are lighter than the old ones. Not sure about exact weight but I doubt the frame is heavy. My mate has one built to 16.9kg on what looks like heavier parts to my legend with weight that oscilates between 16.4-17.1kg.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Specialized said in one of the press releases that the 2011+ frames are 0.75lb lighter than previous years. Not sure what the exact weight is, but it is at least 1lb heavier than a Trek Session.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I'm really leaning towards the TR 450. I'm not sure if it will be lighter, but I don't think it will be heavier, reports are good, price for frame & shock is great, everything from the Sunday will swap over and I like the company.
I haven't checked the frame weight recently on the 450, but it's not light. sicklines has it listed i think. (EDIT TO ADD: 10 pounds w/o shock, so 12.25 lbs total. Which agrees with other reports of about 12 lbs. Not light. Well over 2 lbs heavier than a DHR). agree that Transition is good company. very nearly bought a 450 last summer. speaking of price, that tomac DH should be very affordable with any kind of discount. msrp around 1600?

don't have the experience of 'woo but agree with him that the dw DHR strikes a nice balance between poppy and plow. i'm running mine w/ a CCDB and find that the shock settings let me dial in the feel I am looking for pretty effectively, unlike some bikes where you feel like the leverage curve is all over the place...which makes it hard to optimize the shock settings for all aspects of the travel.

fwiw as a hack who mostly rides xc/am, it does seem like WB affects how poppy a DH bike feels (in addition to the more major contribution of the suspension design obviously).

Last edited:

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I haven't checked the frame weight recently on the 450, but it's not light. sicklines has it listed i think. (EDIT TO ADD: 10 pounds w/o shock, so 12.25 lbs total. Which agrees with other reports of about 12 lbs. Not light. Well over 2 lbs heavier than a DHR). agree that Transition is good company. very nearly bought a 450 last summer. speaking of price, that tomac DH should be very affordable with any kind of discount. msrp around 1600?
I think whatever Sicklines has/had for a weight was a 2010 frame. We cut some serious weight out for 2011... the 2012 frame is the same give or take a few grams and the medium I weighed was 5.09 kg (11.22 lbs) with the shock (stock medium size 450 spring) and rear axle. That is a real weight, not marketing crap or a solidworks guess.