Quantcast

Suggestions for platform pedals

spin02

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Bristol, VA
I need some suggestions for good platform pedals for my 05 stumpjumper comp. I ride mostly cross country and some light freeride. Any ideas?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
primo tenderizers. or if you really want to grip your pedals, bmw shinburgers. wear shin pads with those pedals though!

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
check out the wellgo ones sold at supergo. They're cheap and pretty well made. The weyless ones are decent too- grippy and self serviceable. Plus they look nice.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
TheMontashu said:
Yep, for your application (XC + light FR), clips are the way to go for sure. If you want a platform also, look into the Crankbrothers Mallet for example.

There is no way a platform pedal can be a good choice for XC. Just forget about that! :nope:

:)

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I ride XC and light FR and some street on platforms. Try clips if you can, then switch back to flatties again and see which you prefer. You will probably be faster with clips even on downhills.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
So you may be slower. Doesnt mean they are no good. For those prone to falling a lot, or those with a tendency to wobble (I've been both), platforms are a lot better.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Those Wellgo's are a good purchase. They spin nice and smooth on the axels and they grip well. Replaceable pins are a plus. I've been riding em for about 3 months on a custom build Cove G-spot in urban applications (3 to 5 foot drops to flat and so on) and I'm 6'7" 250.....not a single problem!! and they're only 45 bucks or so....(depending on how well you know your local bike shop....)

Live hard, Live fast or go live with your parents! :thumb:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i ride the kona jacksh*ts, they came on my bike. Havent lost a pin in the two years i've ridden them. Excellent grip, and wide platform for lots of sure footing.

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
I've used quite a few platforms.

The Wellgos are a great pedal wide and lots of traction and the price is right if you're on a budget.

Azonic A-frames are pretty sticky as well, though not as wide as many other platforms. I ride these on my Heckler which is set up for XC and light FR since I abuse bikes.

Primo Tenderizers are great - for BMX only. They are heavy and don't shed mud. Once they get wet your grip is gone. I have a pair on my urban bike that I only use because I am fortunate enough to have a good friend (Instagator) who works in a machine shop. My pedals were ground down because they were too concave and had more traction pins added. They work amazingly well now for urban

Shin Burgers look cool but don't live up to the hype. Too heavy and not enough grip.

NYC Freeride Glory Holes are worth every penny but may be to heavy for your use. I rock these on my FR/DH bike.

One other thing to consider is the flat bottom shoe you'll be using. I have been riding Adidas shell toes for years. The tread pattern hooks up well with alot of pedals.

It's true that clips are the way to go for XC, but I'll never use them. If you concentrate on your pedal stroke you can become more efficient. Also riding flats allows you to press eject any time things go wrong.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yea people who ride clips, they like them. I rode clips, tried to do a little dirtjumping with them and never again will i ride any bike with clips. No matter how used to them i get. I can pedal fine without the use of an 'upstroke', and wouldnt comprimise my ability to eject the bike on a moments notice for an upstroke either.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
Clips aren't as bad as people make them out to be... I ride clips most of the time on my dh bike... I feel more sure footed in clips then on flats... for trail riding with light free ride the mallots would be great pedals for you... uncliping in sketchy situations becomes a reaction and takes no effort or thought... I do agree with boostinboubles though and I always ride flats when playing on dirtjumps

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
boostindoubles said:
i ride the kona jacksh*ts, they came on my bike. Havent lost a pin in the two years i've ridden them. Excellent grip, and wide platform for lots of sure footing.
I'm surprised you guy like the Jack's...I gave away 2 pair. One buddy has been real hard on them, and they're still alive, but I never never felt confident with them.