Quantcast

Suggestions for sub $200 crankset

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
As the title says, im looking for a sub $200 crankset for my XC rig. I am a pretty big guy (230lbs) so i am pretty hard on parts. I have been looking at the Truvativ stylo with the external BB and the low end RF with the same 2 piece design. I am open for suggestions of other cranksets as well, those are just the only ones that i have found that fit the bill. I just toasted an ISIS BB :banghead: on my current crankset and after doing some reading i would prefer to stay away from that setup. Any help would be appriciated.

JP

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
XT could be an option, too. I got a pair, brand new, for $195 shipped off ebay just a few weeks ago.
The RF bb's are notorious for their friction. I had a set of Atlas cranks for a spell, and the friction was very noticable, as in 'how come my bike feels slow' noticeable. I'm much more impressed with the XT's.

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
I was thinking about the XT, how are the truvativs? I had heard the RF bearings are pretty bad but that you can get phil wood replacments, however judgind by how much my hubs were i cant imagine that the BB bearings would be cheap.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was thinking about the XT, how are the truvativs? I had heard the RF bearings are pretty bad but that you can get phil wood replacments, however judgind by how much my hubs were i cant imagine that the BB bearings would be cheap.
Its not too bad, $23 bucks. They have a track set for $140...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Don't know if this was a typical issue, but I had a terrible time with my Truvativs. They had tons of friction and some kind of spindle problem. Neither I nor the lbs could fix it, so they gave me a pair of XTs. The XTs have been great for the most part. Only problem is that they sometimes creak.

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
I just picked up a set of m960 XTR cranks w/bb for $180. Ended up costing my about $20 more for tools and whatnot but they are shuweet, and they weigh as much as my RF isis BB alone, in all fairness it is a craptacular BB. Hopefully i can keep from breaking these ones.
JP