Quantcast

suggestions on cheapish 4130 cruiser

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Hey there - I'm a MTBer and am pretty clueless about BMX. I'd like a 24" for having fun around town on.

I would have just picked up a DK general Lee, but I don't want a Hi-Ten frame.

Any suggestions on a not too much $$$ 24" cro-mo bike? 3-pieces would be nice. Also, a long top tube size would be good, since i'm 6'. I saw the Haro Backtrail cruiser... anything else out there?

thanks guys
-rob

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Love my Haro Nyquist cruiser! All tubes 4130 cromoly. About 22.5" virtual toptube, 21.5" actual. I'm 6'1" and it feels great. The 14mm axles front AND rear are kinda rare for cruisers, but I needed them at 250 pounds and rather unskilled. Threw a peg or two on there and a sprocket w/ bash and it's been tons o fun. Nice tough beater skill builder bike!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
thanks for the tip on the nyquist. I'm going to check that out.

Can someone give me a quick explanation of the point of the u-brake? Why not a vee with more power? (I'm a mtb guy.)

-rob

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by rpet

Can someone give me a quick explanation of the point of the u-brake? Why not a vee with more power? (I'm a mtb guy.)

-rob
V's don't work with rotors/detanglers/org's/gyro's. V's pull too much cable. I personally would trade my rotor for a V-brake anyday. I can't lock up my U-brake. Gonna pick up an Evolver brake and hope that does the trick.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by rpet

-rob
My understanding is that u-brakes came first and they never left. They work with gyros (though there are special cables for v-brake gyros). They can be set up to work well. A more powerful brake is not needed for most bmx. Most bmxing terrain is relatively flat whether it's a skatepark, bmx track, or whatever.

When my brake is set up right and my rims are clean I can lock up my rear wheel. After that more braking becomes moot. Bmx is usually on a pretty smooth surface with pretty smooth tires so you don't have enough traction to well sometimes anyway.

U-brakes work fine. V-brakes would be nicer but most bmx's with v's are racing bikes.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
There's also a potential for stabbing yourself in the leg with a V brake as you move around the bike.

If properly adjusted, the U brake will give you all the power you need.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
The potential for stabbing is so slight. Bmxers only worry about that because it's mtb technology. It would be much easier to stab yourself on a brake lever, and how often do you hear of that happening?

The worry about getting stabbed with a v-brakes is almost as bad as the bmxer who told me my derraileur would drag on the dirt jumps.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
The Haro Nyquist 24 is a sick bike. I enjoyed riding mine more than my mountain bike. So stiff and burly, but of course, it weighs almost forty pounds. Riding it was nice because you got to ride and lift weights at the same time. Everything is really good for the money, except the brakes, but not cause they're U's, just cause they're cheap. Buy the bike, change out for some Dia-compe 990's, you won't regret it. Keep the gyro and learn to spin the bars. I can't tell you how much I miss barspins since my Nyquist was stolen.

Also, try looking on Danscomp, they have a DK cruiser frame on there for about $120. You could build that up cheap.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by RandomV
There's also a potential for stabbing yourself in the leg with a V brake as you move around the bike.

If properly adjusted, the U brake will give you all the power you need.
Umm, excuse me, have you heard of PEGS?? Talk about potential stabbage. Anyways U brakes do suck, even carefully setup ones (when compared to a well setup V-brake.) You could either weld on V-brake mounts or you can put a Magura HS33 on the U-brake mounts. This requires some modification (filing, flipping the mount around) but I run one on my 20" and it works wonderfully.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by animal 52
The Haro Nyquist 24 is a sick bike. I enjoyed riding mine more than my mountain bike. So stiff and burly, but of course, it weighs almost forty pounds. Riding it was nice because you got to ride and lift weights at the same time.
They got A LOT lighter this year. Mine was around 33 pounds stock. It's 34.5 with 2 Snafu pegs, 2 Snafu tensioners, and a 36t E13 Crown sprocket and 36t E13 bash. All my friends riding 20's are amazed at its weight.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
i just test rode an '03 nyquist r24. man was it heavy! my local shop has it on sale, but now I have to check out the '04...
-r

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by Bulldog
They got A LOT lighter this year. Mine was around 33 pounds stock. It's 34.5 with 2 Snafu pegs, 2 Snafu tensioners, and a 36t E13 Crown sprocket and 36t E13 bash. All my friends riding 20's are amazed at its weight.
I don't think that's new, I just think mountain bikers are whine about the weight. My 2001 weighs around 34-35 with two shorty pegs two chain tugs and snafu cranks. I'm happy it's so light.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
thats supa light compared to my 39lb beast
it being a 20" with super sigma and 4 pegs....oh and redline million lb craptastic solid cromo canks.....