Quantcast

suggestions please!

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
I'm looking into selling my v10 to replace it with a much more nimble AM bike. Iv seen many DH races won on remedies and enduros. Iv got my eyes on a carbon enduro. What do you guys reccomend? cause I'm still gonne be heavy into the racing.

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
ha! iv heard good marks on DHRs would totally be down for a trade on a remedy esecially a scratch if he were willing. and iv never really seen an sx trail in person but i have looked at them online. seems pretty good. my biggest problem is i grew up on hardtail and xc bikes then went straight to a v10 which has way more travel than is necessary. i feel like i could go a lot faster even at windrock with a little less squish.

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
I have a large 2011 Trek Scratch Air 9. They run very small, I am 5-9. The fork has been upgraded to a 180 Fox Talas Kashima from the original 160 Talas so it has the same geo as the coil version (65.1 head angle). Do a search and read up on it, Brad Walton did a review of the Scratch Air 8 on pinkbike that is good. It's a great bike, but I have been doing nothing but DH lately. Let me know if you are interested, or just want to try it to test your theory. No trades.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
i feel like i could go a lot faster even at windrock with a little less squish.
You'd be wrong. No one, not even Terry went faster on a smaller travel bike at Windrock.

Even Jeremy R would agree, but most of the time a DH bike is faster at race speeds. The exception would be places like ETSU but for every race I did I always preferred my DH bike.

You aren't getting beat by Enduros or Remedies, you are getting beat by their pilots.

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
I would agree with profro. Unless you can only have one bike and need to cover a large range of riding with it, you are better off with a DH bike. My Scratch and Session are very close in geo and even travel, but the scratch is about 6 pounds lighter. I can get the Scratch up to speed much faster, but it would take far more skill than I have to hold the same overall speed that I can with my Session. Hope that made sense.

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
It makes a lot of since. And I'd love to test my theory if you live anywhere near Johnson city. Name your price and if I can get that much out of my v10 ill look into it. Or id gladly go with a session if I can get one.

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
I live just outside of Asheville. I will be coming up to ETSU one afternoon next week to take a few runs with both bikes, that would be a good time for you to do the same if you are available. I will send you a pm with my info.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah yeah, I have been down this road before more than once trying this $hit. Its crap. If you want to be a dh racer in the faster categories then you need a dh race bike. Its as simple as that. While courses like Etsu and Clemson are fun, they are not real Dh courses, and they can be done well on almost any bike. When you get on the real courses like Massanutten, Snowshoe, Beech's Pro course, Sugar, and Windrock etc... then a proper dh bike is ALWAYS going to be faster. If you decide to get something like a 7 inch bike, at least get one that works with a proper dual crown fork.
All that said, I do believe that smaller more agile dh bikes work the best around here. I currently have a yeti 303rdh, and it is very easy to throw around and it gets on down the trail just fine as well. If your v10 is too much bike for you, then you may want to consider a lively quicker dh bike.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I too have tried this in the past with a do it all race bike. I had a Morewood Shava LT with a RS Totem one year. The weaknesses were, it killed you on the real climbs in the Mts. You couldn't really open up on a real DH Track. If you do you will have one wild ride trying to hold on. I did well on the smaller tracks like Clemson, but when it came to the bigger tracks no way. As Doug, Matt G, Jeremy R can tell you what happened to me at the US Open one year. If I had a Triple Crown Fork I would have pulled it out, but I didn't and crashed hard. Spent 4 days in the hospital in which 2 were in ICU.

I will say it plan and simple: If you really want to race DH, have a real DH bike. If really want one race bike to do it all on, then plan to Race XC, Small DH Races, and Super D's.

Good luck,

Cecil

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
i really do appreciate the comments. my main concern is pedalabilty and being able to pump jumps. tracks like clemson are almost impossible for me because the travel is so soft and plush that i lose speed when i try to pump and i have to have twice the speed of anyone else when i go to hit jumps in order to clear it. i have a spring 50lbs too heavy for my recommended weight from santa cruz and the propedal is dialed in right where its "suggested place is" and while the bike its fast as a bullet down windrock and lower hareball. i lose so much time in the pedaling between sections i cant make it worth it. what about a session or gt fury?

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
i really do appreciate the comments. my main concern is pedalabilty and being able to pump jumps. tracks like clemson are almost impossible for me because the travel is so soft and plush that i lose speed when i try to pump and i have to have twice the speed of anyone else when i go to hit jumps in order to clear it. i have a spring 50lbs too heavy for my recommended weight from santa cruz and the propedal is dialed in right where its "suggested place is" and while the bike its fast as a bullet down windrock and lower hareball. i lose so much time in the pedaling between sections i cant make it worth it. what about a session or gt fury?
Nobody will say it so here goes...........
The V10 is a PLOW! you are looking for something that "Pops" and its a very illusive type bike to find. My 951 was a great bike ~but getting it to "Pop" was hard, at Windrock it was perfect and lower Hareball - well the bike could take it but not me :D
Single pivot bikes seem to have a more lively-poppy feel to me.All this being said I suck at tabletops and jumps so YMMV!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Ahh, I see now. The only other option other than getting a new bike is to ride the boat anchor cross country to build strength. While you can develop tree size legs riding a DH bike uphill, it won't do much for cardio.

And with 10" of travel you can pretty much run over anything smaller than a Volkswagen. So forget jumping and just hit sh!t like it owes you money.

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
and just hit sh!t like it owes you money.

iv gotten pretty good at that. lol i can turn out a solid cat 1 time at snow shoe as is. but i feel like my times are always slow and i could be going so much faster if i could hop around and pick lines better. session? iv never ridden one altho thats what most people are teling me i need for my riding style. i rode my buddys carbon fury around a bit and loved it. am i closer to the right track? or straight up single pivot be better? morewood?