Quantcast

Suit advice?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I havn't worn a suit since I got married, but with my aniversery coming up I thought I might supprise the wife by picking one up and taking her out. I'm an aircraft mechanic by day, so suits really arn't my thing. I actually only own one pair of jeans and almost exclusivly wear shorts. Mens Warehouse is having a 2'fer one sale so it seems to me like a good time to run over and pick a couple up. Anyone actually shop there? Experiences? Are prices comprable to say JC Penny or some other such place?

Talk to me people.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Depending on your budget, you can get an OK suit off the rack, but Mens Warehouse has some nice stuff they can alter to fit you.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would go to Nordstrom Rack if you can afford it. $300-400 suits that used to be at least $800, and they will alter as well. I just picked up a Hugo Boss suit there that was my first "real" suit, and I couldn't be happier - it's nice having a good suit that you know will last, and it's really a long-term investment.

Stick with gray or something like that (probably not black), and 2-button. It will be the most versatile. Don't skimp on a cheesy tie either, and shoes are important as well.

My .02.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Men's Warehouse is just fine for suits for those of us who just want a decent suit at a decent price. They'll fit you, they'll match you up with shirts and ties, and they'll be very friendly and helpful about it. Tailoring will cost a little extra. I've found their prices to be pretty much right in line with Macy's and the like, but their service is much better.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Mens warehouse is fine. Make sure you get it altered. Off the rack NEVER fits anyone, and some people, worried about the price, don't go that final step, other than the cuffs.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm too fat to fit my first suit anymore. I got it at Meir and Frank for $1200. I still have it in the event I lose about 50 pounds :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
It's getting harder and harder to find tailored suits in retail stores - I agree with others that off the rack is never comfortable for the long haul. However, if you are only going to wear it once or twice I wouldn't waste your time or effort on a fitted suit.

Decent suit separates can be had for around $100.00, the quality won't be there but you'll never know or need it.

I wear a suit and tie 5 days a week, labels & price paid are no indication of quality & comfort.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Had the best luck at Macys, if you have one there, I'd suggest taking a look. The suits at men's warehouse look too much like old man business suits to me... to boring, didn't fit me very well. The styles at Macy look a bit smarter, more current and had greater selection of styles. This year they have great sales every month or so. They recently had a july 4th sale where suits were 50% off or more. Picked the style that I liked and it came to $324 or something. Shoes, ties and shirts were smilarly good.

I suggest a nice charcoal or black suit if you're going to own just one.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Single breasted, (stop right there monkeys - this is serious) two button. Blue or grey. If you're the slim type, go a narrower profile across the shoulders and slimmer fit around the arms and waist. Go a for a cut that can work with or without a tie. Think resevoir dogs but with color.

Dont buy off the rack. They never fit well and and the fabrics look and feel cheap. Shoes and belt - dont skimp. Shirts - dark are good for edgy formal with a dark tie. Lighter patterns for a casual look and no tie.

You will feel a million bucks for getting a tailor made suit. Trust me its worth it.

You'll have a suit that can take you anywhere with confidence.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I prefer the three button jacket, only using the middle, for a more distinguished and contemporary look. This works especially well for taller gents. If you're stalky, stick with two buttons.

Either way, go with un-pleated pants with no cuffs to stay contemporary. Unless you're a fatty, pleats are old and dead.

Always get it tailored, and not just the sleeve length. Make sure they line up the shoulder seams and follow the curve of your back. That's what makes the look.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Went to Mens Warehouse and pimped myself out. Got a suit, 4 shirts and 3 ties. Long as I don't get to fat I've got good clothes till I die with the frequency that I dress up.

The wife was very surprised.

Last edited:

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Mens warehouse is fine. The guy said that he has not worn a suit since he got married. If you are avg shaped you should be able to find something that works. I am a little unusual, I wear a 48long with a 36 waist. Normal suit combos don't work for me. I have picked up the Kenneth Cole collection at Mens Warehouse in seperates(pants and jacket are not together in a package allowing you to get something with a decent fit without much alterations) for under 150 bucks.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I don't know much about suits either. The first one i bought is the one i was wearing at my wedding saturday. I went to Mens Wearhouse, they sucked. They didn't get me the right size. I needed a 48 long. They were trying to fit me into a 46 long. Felt like i couldn't move my shoulders at all. Fat guy in a little coat thing.

We have a place around here that a lot of the mormon missionaries shop at. It's called Mr Mac. Don't know if you guys have them around, but they treated me good. Got a complete suit with shirt and tie for just over $400. Wool. They custom tailored it twice for me already, free of charge for as long as i own the suit.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Looks good! Try some light shirts for the summer, especially if you're wearing it during th day. White, light blue, etc.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The only suit I've bought was on total impulse at a period when I was making a disproportionate amount of cash for living up North. It cost 1/3 of what my bike cost now. It was kind of a dumb move. Fits well though.