Quantcast

Summer PLans (project)

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i was thinking about making a street/dirt bike this summer
if i do this ill make my current bike more trail oriented..

any hoo...

my plans have a 24" crusier frame, a 3" fork, and 2" bar in them...

do you think this is a good idea? does it really fVck the geomotry that much?

this is also spur of the moment...

all my ideas come when i am supposed to be studyin for finals...

(like now)

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
mudpuppy did this to his haro cruiser, adding an old k2 smartfork
but the headangle was way too slacked.
i would avoid the 3" fork unless you can lower the travel down to almost nothing. the change in headangle will be more than you think

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I dunno I've found myself considering putting it back that way lately.:rolleyes: Yeah it did slack it out a lot but it would be ok for a trails and such, not bmxy things though. I'd try for 2" of travel if possible.

I'd say don't bother doing this unless you already have a cruiser laying around. Some other problems to think about are: A bmx frame doesn't have much tire clearance (I don't think mine could fit anything bigger than maybe 1.95/2.0) so you can't run knobbys. Make sure you have a 24 inch front wheel to run in that fork, or it'll be even more slacked out. Lousy braking will be a problem with only a u-brake and mud/water/mountainbiking conditions. Maybe run a cable disc on the front? Many bmx parts like hubs and bb's aren't sealed so they will wear out pretty fast in the wet gritty conditions of mtbing.

It really all comes down to is, if you want to do it enough, then do it. It's your money. No one else can tell you what you like in a bike. I've been discovering what I like myself and it's pretty expensive, but I'm getting things narrowed down.

I think I want a 24" really bmxy steel single speed mtb with american bb. .243 here I come! :D

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i realized that i am on drugs and should pimp out my MTb and my Current BMx instaed of wasiting money on another bike

fvck it...

:D

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
I too would like to pimp out a 24" BMX. However, as you have found out, it's hard to do this based on geometry, a lack of 24" suspension forks, a lack of tire clearance, etc. Someday though...someday.