Quantcast

Summer time food!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I love it. Fresh Corn and Tomatoes. Little neck clams. Spring cheeses and fresh herbs. Starchy kick ass Pasta made from fresh ground winter wheat and stolen eggs.

Had fresh trout minutes after we caught them. Snapping Turtles and smelts...

Wild Leeks look like they will be ready next weak, fresh wild white Asparagus and Boison (Mock) berries soon also....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So, how do you prepare those??
My dad has a pot that goes on the side thingy on his grill. We buy a couple of dozen, fill up the pot and steam them. It has a spigot on the side for the broth. My dad will not let me touch it.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
omg steamed clams :drool:

There was a joint in Chicago when I lived there where we went on Thursdays for $15 all you can eat raw oysters and $2 beers. During oyster months, they'd shuck you dozens after dozens out of an ice packed crate. So along with the oysters they'd put a big bowl of ground horseradish on the table, and always brought you a big popcorn bowl of fried clams just to clean your palette from all the raw shellfish.

I have a feeling you'd have liked that place.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
omg steamed clams :drool:

There was a joint in Chicago when I lived there where we went on Thursdays for $15 all you can eat raw oysters and $2 beers. During oyster months, they'd shuck you dozens after dozens out of an ice packed crate. So along with the oysters they'd put a big bowl of ground horseradish on the table, and always brought you a big popcorn bowl of fried clams just to clean your palette from all the raw shellfish.

I have a feeling you'd have liked that place.
I'm always down for an all you can eat. If I ever find myself in Chicago I must know the name of this place. Challenge accepted and all.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
My dad has a pot that goes on the side thingy on his grill. We buy a couple of dozen, fill up the pot and steam them. It has a spigot on the side for the broth. My dad will not let me touch it.
I prefer to keep it simple. Just throw the clams straight on the grill and they open when they're done.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Baby back loin ribs, brined in Sea salt and maple syrup. Dino rub, Hickory Ash fire. A bunch of time and Jersey corn on the cob and fresh mators with fresh Mozz and Chard leaves. Olives, capers, crazy purple vinegar, and tasty Greek Olive oil. I made Tuna Mac Salad too. Nobody eat it though....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had 3 racks leftover and I cleaned all the meat and fat off the bones. I warmed up the meat in a pan. Served it over a bag of Spinach and Plum Tomato Salad big hunks of Aged Gouda for good measure. Best Salad of the year so far.... Just needed Beats and Radishes...

Next mission. Fried Smelts....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Fried buttermilk Chicken, fried buttermilk uncured thick cut from the slab Bacon, Swiss chard and leeks cooked down. raw cabbage and beef steak mators, Goat cheese, Chopped warsaw falcon pickle mayo all served on Sunflower oat bread (not toasted just plain)... Messy but good.

I need a new dutch oven. I dropped the lid and it broke into little pieces. I want one that I can use in the oven, grill, and stove.

Fruit Salad is my next mission....

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I made lobster cakes in a pan on the new grill. I got the lobsters real cheap. I was kind of suspicious of them. I boiled them up and pull all the good meat out of 10 lobsters. A big huge pile of lobster what to do.... I made a lobster pizza, everyone hated it. I made some kick as lobster rolls. they ate mac salad and burgers instead. I made lobster cakes and they were gone. I got Petit Grocery's remulade sauce recipe and made that. I used chard and cabbage miracle whip slaw as base for the cakes. The burned ones were magical. I served them with Niagara moonshine brandy and green croatian olives, Sharp Auruchio Provolone that I got from the cheese shop.

Tritip next.....

I didn't have any of the moonshine or a finished plate as the folks I shared with were rich assholes.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Trout Tacos with corn tortillas, cabbage, fried japs (don't ask me, I have no idea what a jap is), salty mexican cheese of some sort, Spicy Pico De Gallo, and green onions. I ate 12. I am the trout master. Once the water gets moving folks around here get lazy and don't go after the fish. The fighters taste better....

Tim Jones

Chimp
Sep 3, 2014
I love it. Fresh Corn and Tomatoes. Little neck clams. Spring cheeses and fresh herbs. Starchy kick ass Pasta made from fresh ground winter wheat and stolen eggs.

Had fresh trout minutes after we caught them. Snapping Turtles and smelts...

Wild Leeks look like they will be ready next weak, fresh wild white Asparagus and Boison (Mock) berries soon also....
Nice catch! Sounds like a great meal.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Corn so good. You just eat that. Happily. I can easily eat 10 ears. Roasted on a fire. small amounts of butter and salt. The Koreans love it!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Our locally ground wheat beats your wheat's ass any day. Firstly our flour yield per bushel is 25% better then yours. Our wheat is heavier then yours. If you plant it, it just grows. Plant some corn for a few years until your yield diminishes, plant some wheat and timothy for a season, turn the stalks in the fall and plant corn for the spring and see your yield double. Turn that corn to mash and sell it off to finance your wheat crop again. Life goes on....