Quantcast

Summertime XC

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
The PNW is losing Jr. Bullit, she's going to be with her bo in Canada, so to celebrate she requested a last hurrah ride. i decided to lead the ride and Oly and Meghan Black jumped on the list. i'd been a few trails of the suggested trail ride that we were about to engage in, not all the trails however. But on the map the others "looked" fun.... :p aaaah the trusting monkies following the blind.
Lucky for all of us it turned out to be a great time.

Blue Lake Butte to Blue Lake-Yozoo-Hamiltone Peak-Hamilton Buttes w/shuttle assist
18 miles
2300 feet climbing 5400 feet descending

Gettin up and waiting to carpool at the butt crack of dawn. :dancing:

Blue Lake Butte to Blue Lake/Connector Trail/Bishop Ridge
Jr. Bullit descending off of Blue Lake Buttes

Time for fun at Blue Lake, Meghan always tryin to catch air. :dancing:

Exodus of tadpoles at Blue Lake.

We probably could have stayed at the Lake forever, but it was time to pedal on to Yozoo Trail. Meghan pedaling a long harsh mostly hike a bike ascent.

Climbin up the steep stuff i would up slipping into a rut and plopping on my side. i heard something rustling in the brush, i go to grab it, and lo and behold who do i find? The papa of all them tadpoles at the lake "Pimp Frog Daddy".

Meghan was powerless to resist his charm.

Yozoo Trail
Talk about tough jobs.... We ran into some Forest Service Rangers on dirt bikes at the Yozoo Trail junction. Great couple of guys, we yapped around for quite a while. i found it completely hilarious one Ranger spent the whole time feasting on huckleberries. What a hard life.... :D

i'd spied Yozoo on a ride a few weeks back, and it turned out to be everything i expected and more.

a rump shot for Biggins.(if he's back from quitting that is) :D

Meghan again with Mt. Rainier

And yet another Meghan shot. The views were epic, but the trail was killer too. i did a nice digger in the high side of the lower trail, the trail let you know who's boss.

The trail also killed a few tubes as well. Stubbornly we worked on fixing Meghans tire to keep her on the trail. 6 patches later she was still goin strong.

Hamilton Peak/Hamilton Butte Trail
Jr. Bullit and her bo Steve decided to call it a little early so me Oly and Meghan pressed on to get the last section of downhill off of Hamilton Butte Trail. They missed out on an incredible descent and panorama. But they didn't miss out on the harsh hike a bike climb up to the Peak. i was so tired i left my bike on the trail to press on, and Meghan told me i sucked. i told her she hated on me now, but she'd love me later. i was hoping i was right.

PANORAMA

i was right....

THE QUEST FOR TACOS!

Oly rippin Hamilton Buttes with Mt. Adams in the background.

Still a little sore at us for missin the great descent, but still i believe we sent off Jr. Bullit to Canada with a smile. A big Mexi feast to end the day. Good times, good times......

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
frikkin sweetness, man. Your pics rocked, especially the one with Megan descending with the pointy peak in the background.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
That was so much work, but well worth it. I thought of throwing in the towel many times, but am glad I didnt (I did a 2 run shuttle day on the Shore the day before so I was worked!) . It was great riding with the crew in such an awesome area. Next time, more sleep and rest the day before so I dont hike everything......

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stosh said:
:drool: at everything..............
:stupid:

I seriously live in the wrong place. You all have some B-E-A-Utiful riding up there.

Skookum, you have longer hair then me! You hippie! ;)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
SkaredShtles said:
Pssst. The cost of living is lower than CA too. ;)
But it rains alot... In fact that was the only sunny day we have had in the PNW in like 40 years.... Might as well unpack the SUV's and take the stuff back into your $500,000 1500 sq ft homes... HAHA.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Oly's not kidding. Dust only exists inside our houses. It rains so much. You get fat and pale in the winter, there are no hot girls, and the mexican food sucks. There's no In-n-out or anything! Please save yourselves by staying down there!

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
...that toad totally slipped me the tongue

thanks for an AWESOME ride, skooks! it was ~epic~ in every way :p

yes, yes, it's true i had some, er...well thoughts of...okay, yeah, i wanted to kill you on the way up but the downhill brought all the :heart: back and then some. you kick arse!

hey oly, feeling any "effects" from the fresh mountain water?? ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Megan Black said:
oh and JB, it was really great seeing you guys again. good luck in BC, let's try to hook up for some XC up there sometime!
You are alive.........

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
Pssst. The cost of living is lower than CA too. ;)
Noooooooo!!!!! Don't say that! Everytime you say something like that it shortens the time I have left in California. Not that that's a bad thing.

oly said:
But it rains alot... In fact that was the only sunny day we have had in the PNW in like 40 years.... Might as well unpack the SUV's and take the stuff back into your $500,000 1500 sq ft homes... HAHA.
No sun? All rain? Oh man! Sounds like paradise to me!!!! (I love the rain. I HATE the sun)

ioscope said:
Oly's not kidding. Dust only exists inside our houses. It rains so much. You get fat and pale in the winter, there are no hot girls, and the mexican food sucks. There's no In-n-out or anything! Please save yourselves by staying down there!
Oh man oh man... I could care less about dust (It makes the house look like an old library :thumb: )... I love rain... I am fat already so that doesn't matter. I am darker/browner than Sanjay... At my pale-est I am still more tanned than a pro surfer in hawaii. I am getting married, so I have my own hot girl... I make my own mexican food better then ANY restaraunt (learned from my mexican grandmother)... and I can make a better burger then In N Out...

I better save myself by going up there. Dang! Let's see... If I can quit my job and live off of the leather business within 2 years, contact the SCA groups up there, and then just wait for the GF to finish her teaching credential we can invade, I mean move up there within 2, maybe 3 years max. :D

Lookout Skookum. I am formulating a plan. :evil: You're going to have a new hippy neighbor. Muahahahahaha!!!!!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Thanks for the feedback, it actually takes a bit of work to assemble a thread like this, and even though it's partly enjoyable to share, it's also appreciated knowing that people are diggin it.
Ciaran... move on up and lets ride brother....
Any of you Oregon California folk need some help gettin the 411 on some epic stuff around here, feel free to pm. That's what this forum is all about, sharin the goods.
DerekPearson i've threatened to get you out in the "real" sticks many times, can you imagine a "real" photographer doin his thing out on these rides? But even if you don't wanna take peekshores you always have an invite man.
JonnyB.... i don't care if that is a toad, his name remains "Pimp Frog Daddy". :D

This was yet another awesome ride for me, sharing the experience of riding with good people and discovering, recognizing, and being enriched by all the experiences within the day. i'm glad i can share just a smidge and i'm encouraged to hear that it's inspiring people to wanna ride. It's a good thing.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Oh by the way, from the panorama shot you can see 4 Cascade Range Volcanoes. From the left looking Northwest you start out with the obvious Mt. Rainier, then panning to the South you see Mt. Adams. To the right hidden in the clouds and barely visible is Mt. Hood to the right of the butte. Then panning to see Mt. St. Helens roundly protruding up to the Southeast, just as Oly and Meghan come into view.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Hey Skooks! Thanks for a totally awesome ride! :) I don't post as much as I should these days, work and play just get in the way of the monkey, but the ride was a blast! Total bummer I bonked, Steve and I were both totally jealous of missing the descent.

The pics are awesome too! Megan - you best be keepin in touch once I'm up North so we can go scout around for some decent XC trails. I'll be comin south at least once a month anyways to visit family and of course ride the "home" trails. :)

5 weeks and counting - my bike gear goes this weekend...then we're off and gone for 5 months. :D :thumb:

Oh and Mmmike...why you no want us hot american gals up in Canadia?