Quantcast

Sun-Ringle 29er Wheels?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Anyone have any feedback on the new 29er offerings from Sun-Ringle, Disc'o Flea and the Charger?? I'm looking for a light/tough 29er wheelset and can grab a good price on them. Thanks!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Chargers come in a 29mm width and a 31mm width. Too new to really give any feedback on yet, but if history is any indication they will be at the very least "okay", meaning a minimal amount of problems and a slightly flexy build.

Not bashing these, mind you, they look fantastic, and for all I know may be an improvement over past Sun/Ringle' efforts.

They offer a 20mm thru-axle option, (Hayes Group also owns Manitou, which sells a Thru-axle Minute 29"er fork) and the wheels should have the latest iteration of Wheelsmith spokes. (Another Hayes Group company).

I'm hoping QBP will be distributing the Hayes Group stuff as I'll be attending Frost Bike and I would love to pin down the rep there and get some details. That is happening in mid February, so I'll report back with any findings then.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Thanks Guitar Ted. I've actually had good luck with Sun Hubs in the past. We'll have to wait and see.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I think the 31mm offering is a relabeled singletrack for the 26" crowd.We have been playing with the equalizer 29 rims and had good luck so far.

My bad. The 31mm is just a 26" equalizer.