Quantcast

Sun Valley Invasion

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
So, as one might guess, I was just watching Roam :agree: . AS I've been hunting good single track lately, I was angered that Sun Valley isn't actually all that much farther then spokane. So maybe I havn't been getting enough sleep, or maybe I'm just crazy, but here's the idea. We set a date, lets say labor day weekend (see that wasn't so hard), and on this date tons of riders from the PNW and maybe some local companies (Transition comes to mind) all head over to sun Valley for some great riding and good times. I don't know, just my crazy idea for a mtb festival ish thingy whatsit. What do you all think?

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
hey i think it is a good idea i grew up about an hour and a half away from sunvalley i would be game and could probably even round up a handful of guys from here i also know most of the sunvalley area i know a really cool place to camp with natural hot springs randomly out in the woods close by sunvalley where locals skinny dip mostly attractive people some not so muchif this idea goes through i would love to be involved ps it takes aroun 10hrs if you do the speed limit in idaho speed limit is 75mph not a bad driveeither tons of pretty country

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I was angered that Sun Valley isn't actually all that much farther then spokane. So maybe I havn't been getting enough sleep, or maybe I'm just crazy,
here's some drive times for you, based on a SV rendezvous last year. Portland to SV, 8-9 hours. Spokane to SV, 8-9 hours. I don't know how much you'll save cutting across through tri cities to 84, but having done it most parts of it, I think you are way off on your drive time estimate.

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
i just drove it last summer and with a little ford ranger loaded to the max only able to do 45-50 over the passes still made it in at around 11hrs with a couple of stops the way to go is i-90 then through yakima tri cities to boise id then to mnt home through fairfeilde and bam you are there

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
i thought you were going to devil's gulch on laborday.....

theres some singletrack for ya and only 3-4 hours away.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yeah, 10.5 hours from the door to the campsite on Corral Creek.

Sun Valley/Stanley has better riding than Moab IMHO. It isn't Whistler. But, if you've ridden Comfortably Numb all the way, you'll completely dig what that ID area has in store. I've heard the lift served is meager but I'm not going there for that anyways. Wolftone Canyon/Curran Gulch will stack up to Devil's Gulch/Mission Ridge any day. Don't even get me started on the stuff around Stanley. If the gals could stop looking at Brad Pitt in "A river runs through it" they'd see the other natural scenery that mother nature serves up out there. Long climbs and long smoking singletrack descents too....

It might be a bit late getting there for the best goods now though. Looks like the BBTC group that went last month nailed it for weather/trail conditions. Me, I'm hoping I can get back in the early fall when the trees change color and the dust dies down. Awesome riding.