Quantcast

Sunday Build Questions

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Some Technical Questions

1. Does the 06 Factory Frame come with the rear hub, headset and reducer cups like last year?

2. How much will the frames be retailing for with a DHX?

3. What is the bottom bracket size?
I plan on running a truvativ howitzer with holzfeller cranks.

4. While I have seen lots of input on the Boxxer Air I have not seen much on the Team. From what I can see it is the same minus solo air plus coil spring. It looks like the perfect fork. Any other input or e-gossip about the Team is welcome.
Also I saw on Universal cycles that the 06 Boxxer Team was already listed and for $850- Can this be for real?

5. Brakes Hayes Mags vs. HFX 9 vs. Caminos.
I am looking for the most cost effective and best performing build. I have read a lot about the brakes but which in your opinion?

Thanks for your opinions. I am just looking for input nothing is concrete but I am just doing some research. Also I searched the forum but if I missed stuff don't bash because I rarely get online.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
MX 887 said:
Some Technical Questions

1. Does the 06 Factory Frame come with the rear hub, headset and reducer cups like last year?
Yes.

MX 887 said:
2. How much will the frames be retailing for with a DHX?
not sure

MX 887 said:
3. What is the bottom bracket size?
I plan on running a truvativ howitzer with holzfeller cranks.
83mm shell. check out the "interbike" thread for a pic of the bike w/ Holzfeller's and a howitzer bb.

MX 887 said:
4. While I have seen lots of input on the Boxxer Air I have not seen much on the Team. From what I can see it is the same minus solo air plus coil spring. It looks like the perfect fork. Any other input or e-gossip about the Team is welcome.
this is true, but haven't had any time on the Team. should have the same internals (MC and high speed shim stack), though, so should feel *relatively* similar.

hope this helps.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
In terms of brakes, I would go for the Mags because they're more reliable than the HFX 9's.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dante said:
Yes.

not sure

83mm shell. check out the "interbike" thread for a pic of the bike w/ Holzfeller's and a howitzer bb.

this is true, but haven't had any time on the Team. should have the same internals (MC and high speed shim stack), though, so should feel *relatively* similar.

hope this helps.

Thanks hopefully there will be lots of input on the fork after Interbike.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Bicyclist said:
In terms of brakes, I would go for the Mags because they're more reliable than the HFX 9's.
Yea they seem to be the best choice due to better modulation+good price.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Red Bull said:
Juicy Fives or Sevens...

I wish you could have come to Diablo this weekend...
i was looking into the juicy's but they were more cash. The hayes seems like plenty cause in reality you dhould not be using brakes anhow.
just kidding. the juicy are purty sick.

I hope to go to Diablo once more this year. I will let you know. We should definitly ride. How was diablo?

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Bicyclist said:
I don't think the modulation is any better, but I could be wrong.
I just read it in another post so who knows. In what ways are they more reliable?
Thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
MX 887 said:
I just read it in another post so who knows. In what ways are they more reliable?
Thanks
The levers are all that's different. I've had 2 sets of HFX-9 levers fall apart mid-ride on me. One time the bleeder port fell out so fluid squirted everywhere and the other time the washer was rounded out.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Bicyclist said:
The levers are all that's different. I've had 2 sets of HFX-9 levers fall apart mid-ride on me. One time the bleeder port fell out so fluid squirted everywhere and the other time the washer was rounded out.

Hmm interesting so are the juicy fives the same brake minus the little adjuster on the 7. if so the spec may be changed.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
MX 887 said:
Hmm interesting so are the juicy fives the same brake minus the little adjuster on the 7. if so the spec may be changed.
juicy fives it is ;)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's a good choice. I would go for Avids over Hayes personally, but I didn't know you were interested in them.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Bicyclist said:
That's a good choice. I would go for Avids over Hayes personally, but I didn't know you were interested in them.
Thanks sadly the first thing I have to look at when researching parts is the price and the Hayes were quite friendly in that area. However the juicy 5's seem perfect as they are a steal and I do not need the adjuster.
All is good.
:thumb:

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Good deal all I need now is a frame price and a vote of confidence on the 06 Boxxer Team. :thumb:

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
man i looked at that website for the boxxer team. it seems its gone down in price cause the race from this year and last year are the same. and the team is about 150 cheaper than last years. could it be that motion control costs less than hc2? cause thats the only thing that would warrent a price change.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
MX 887 said:
i was looking into the juicy's but they were more cash. The hayes seems like plenty cause in reality you dhould not be using brakes anhow.
just kidding. the juicy are purty sick.
Like a month ago I got Juicy 5's w/203mm rotors for $105 each at beyondbikes.com... too late now though.

You want your bb with an 83mm shell, 128 or 133 mm spindle (128 will clear but they are hard to find). FSA makes 83/133's.

Chainguide - evil / e-thirteen with ISCG '05 mounting. Older-iscg mounting won't fit and evil is currently the only company producing the ISCG '05 guides (to my knowledge).
All Sunday's have ISCG '05 mounts. So, it's either that, or bb mount.
Check out www.iscg05.com

Rear wheel -150mm wide by 12mm axle

Headset - (1.5) anything will work, but the e-thirteen reducer cups to a zero stack hs is the way to go.

Cable routing - there was a thread on here a while ago where Acadian posted pics of how to: a) properly wrap your chainstay to protect your derailer housing (surgical tube); and b) Rout the cables around the shock so they stay put. (SEARCH FUNCTION)

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Biscuit said:
Like a month ago I got Juicy 5's w/203mm rotors for $105 each at beyondbikes.com... too late now though.

You want your bb with an 83mm shell, 128 or 133 mm spindle (128 will clear but they are hard to find). FSA makes 83/133's.

Chainguide - evil / e-thirteen with ISCG '05 mounting. Older-iscg mounting won't fit and evil is currently the only company producing the ISCG '05 guides (to my knowledge).
All Sunday's have ISCG '05 mounts. So, it's either that, or bb mount.
Check out www.iscg05.com

Rear wheel -150mm wide by 12mm axle

Headset - (1.5) anything will work, but the e-thirteen reducer cups to a zero stack hs is the way to go.

Cable routing - there was a thread on here a while ago where Acadian posted pics of how to: a) properly wrap your chainstay to protect your derailer housing (surgical tube); and b) Rout the cables around the shock so they stay put. (SEARCH FUNCTION)

Thanks that was very helpful. What BB's are most people running on their Sundays? The only other thing I cannot decide on is a wheelset. Any suggestions for a cheap, strong, and moderately light wheel build.
Thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ryno Lite XL rims on Marzocchi F hub and Hadley or Ringle rear hub with double butted DT spokes and brass nipples.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Bicyclist said:
Ryno Lite XL rims on Marzocchi F hub and Hadley or Ringle rear hub with double butted DT spokes and brass nipples.
I think I am going to buy a complete wheelset. It will save me alot of hassle. I am looking into Azonic Outlaws. Also since the Sunday comes with a really nice rear hub i was thinking of lacing that onto the rear Outlaw after getting them. They are pretty sweet wheels with 150mm spacing and a 12mm axle conversion for around $250. The only question is whether or not I can just lace the included DT hub on the Azonics without new spokes?
Thanks

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
MX 887 said:
I think I am going to buy a complete wheelset. It will save me alot of hassle. I am looking into Azonic Outlaws. Also since the Sunday comes with a really nice rear hub i was thinking of lacing that onto the rear Outlaw after getting them. They are pretty sweet wheels with 150mm spacing and a 12mm axle conversion for around $250. The only question is whether or not I can just lace the included DT hub on the Azonics without new spokes?
Thanks
You would most likely need new spokes, unless the flange height is exactly the same on both hubs. Frankly, you would be better off either selling the new rear hub and using the cash for other parts, selling the rear Outlaw and using the cash to buy other parts/build new wheel, or (best and most expensive way) buy an extra 521 or something and build yourself a spare wheel.

It's generally not worth the time IMO to dissasemble, and re-lace another wheel (over buying new spokes and rim). Look around, some places still have d521's for cheap (shipping kills it though).

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Biscuit said:
You would most likely need new spokes, unless the flange height is exactly the same on both hubs. Frankly, you would be better off either selling the new rear hub and using the cash for other parts, selling the rear Outlaw and using the cash to buy other parts/build new wheel, or (best and most expensive way) buy an extra 521 or something and build yourself a spare wheel.

It's generally not worth the time IMO to dissasemble, and re-lace another wheel (over buying new spokes and rim). Look around, some places still have d521's for cheap (shipping kills it though).

I think I may keep the hub from the frame and either sell it or use it later. Then just use the Outlaws as is. They are a pretty sweet wheelset so that is settled. Also does the factory frame come with a seatube. What is the seatube width? Also after reading through some posts I was confused about the headset situation. I undrstand the factory frame includes the e13 reducer cups but does it include an actual headset? I think I read it has a FSA on but I am not sure
Thanks

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Factory framesets come w/ a DT hub, e13 reducers, FSA headset, Thomson 30.0 post, seat post binder, & Progressive 5th shock.

-ska todd

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
ska todd said:
Factory framesets come w/ a DT hub, e13 reducers, FSA headset, Thomson 30.0 post, seat post binder, & Progressive 5th shock.

-ska todd
Thanks that is just what I needed. One thing though the 06 factory framsets will be available with a DHX correct :confused:
Thanks

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
chillindrdude said:
yah....my rhynolite XLs held up great for dh...just can't run too low of tire pressure. and so far, having good luck with my 521s. (now 721s)
yea i found the same thing that i would ping my rim if running too low pressure on my regualr rhyno lite up front.

now i have a new wheelset with king hubs and rhyno xl's has anyone tried using ghetto tubeless on this kind of setup? cause the stans kit seems to be really pricy.
*ghetto tubes LINK*
http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
julian_dh said:
yea i found the same thing that i would ping my rim if running too low pressure on my regualr rhyno lite up front.

now i have a new wheelset with king hubs and rhyno xl's has anyone tried using ghetto tubeless on this kind of setup? cause the stans kit seems to be really pricy.
*ghetto tubes LINK*
http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php
Rhynolite XLs are really tough to mount as it is. Add in a layer of tubeless strips and they're nearly impossible. That being said, I have a set of maxxis strips waiting to go onto my XLs, as soon as it's time to replace the current tires...

I'll report back, but not for awhile. Not riding right now due to a broken thumb.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Biscuit said:
Just a quick note that I would recommend the FSA internal 1.5 reducing headset, rather than the e13 cups. The e13s don't have a slot to remove the bearings, so they're kind of a one shot deal unless you get pretty creative. Nothing against e13, it's a great concept and got the ball rolling, but at this point you might as well just buy the whole package from a HS company.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That ghetto tubeless sytem looks good. You should also look into Slime Tubeless sealant, it's cheap.