Quantcast

***Sunday bullshit time change GMT***

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Racing failed. Got there a little late (8:30am vs. 8am) and missed the first Jr practice session. Took a bit to get the engine started, but it sounded much better than before, once we got it running. When she got out for her first practice session, the track was in reverse and different routing than she is used to. She also spun out in the first corner. I apparently assumed that she was listening to Dan last night when we were talking about tires and how it takes 5 laps to warm up. Once she went off, I started searching for lead, since we needed more than JBP sent us.

When the checker flag for her session went out, I didn't see her on track. I found her at the truck. Crying. She was freezing (wrong socks and shirt left exposed skin), tired, and felt that she had zero control of the kart after the setup changes we made last night. So, we called it. Race entry is rain checked until next month when she can get more track time with the changes made.

On the drive home, we did go through our race day process to make sure that we have our process in place to make it a "walkout" like we have for skiing. The Audi with a trailer does look to be the most efficient option at this point. The stand is very difficult to place without it sitting on the kart. If we trailer it, we can strap it to the stand, then the stand to the trailer.

One thing that came up right when we got home is that I didn't get to see her laps or her pull off the track, since I was hunting for lead. Apparently, she did one lap. Going back to the above comment about tires warming up... She felt out of control for one lap, got frustrated, emotional, and called it. And since I didn't know that she only did one lap, I couldn't correct in realtime. Oof.

She now understands that karting in the cold is like skateboarding on ice with an overpowered lawnmower engine, at least until the tires heat up.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
On a positive note, I think we found the song for Haley's talent show video.

In Shrek, so should be good.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode. Weather is weird for November - overcast, 74F, windy and humid as fcuk.
On a positive note, lots of bare skin + yoga pants in the woods today - which is interesting as it doesn't happen here in the summer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
briefly turned ours on today just to cut the effing humidity. rained all last night then 80 today. GTFO.

bout to head out to dinner....debating...seafood? tacos? indian?
everyone else here has the flu, so they're eating the soup I made last night. me? I'm about to grill some wings.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
First attached tick of the fall season... :wave:
Man I just got back from a quick hike. Flicked one off on the walk and just found two crawling on my leg here at home before jumping in the shower.

Did have to go through this shoulder high crap for a bit though.

Pretty odd hike too. Went to an old old spot where we had some trails, which is on the edge of private property. It's down a steep little valley, so other than the odd foot prints, I've never actually bumped into anyone down there over the last decade.

As soon as I got to this sketch bridge, I heard a buzzing and could tell there was a drone flying overhead. It hung around for a moment and then took off. I was expecting to find the land owner there somewhere and was prepping to explain why I ventured onto the property...

Then I hike up the far side of the valley and find this hole in the ground. I wonder what for? Dead body, someone digging for gold, ??. Had the camera in wide perspective mode there which skews it a bit, but it's cut into a very steep hill. The deep side is about 4-5 feet deep. Couldn't really see where all the displaced dirt was.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Definitely no AC here. In the 30's at the beginning and end of today's ride.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Racing failed. Got there a little late (8:30am vs. 8am) and missed the first Jr practice session. Took a bit to get the engine started, but it sounded much better than before, once we got it running. When she got out for her first practice session, the track was in reverse and different routing than she is used to. She also spun out in the first corner. I apparently assumed that she was listening to Dan last night when we were talking about tires and how it takes 5 laps to warm up. Once she went off, I started searching for lead, since we needed more than JBP sent us.

When the checker flag for her session went out, I didn't see her on track. I found her at the truck. Crying. She was freezing (wrong socks and shirt left exposed skin), tired, and felt that she had zero control of the kart after the setup changes we made last night. So, we called it. Race entry is rain checked until next month when she can get more track time with the changes made.

On the drive home, we did go through our race day process to make sure that we have our process in place to make it a "walkout" like we have for skiing. The Audi with a trailer does look to be the most efficient option at this point. The stand is very difficult to place without it sitting on the kart. If we trailer it, we can strap it to the stand, then the stand to the trailer.

One thing that came up right when we got home is that I didn't get to see her laps or her pull off the track, since I was hunting for lead. Apparently, she did one lap. Going back to the above comment about tires warming up... She felt out of control for one lap, got frustrated, emotional, and called it. And since I didn't know that she only did one lap, I couldn't correct in realtime. Oof.

She now understands that karting in the cold is like skateboarding on ice with an overpowered lawnmower engine, at least until the tires heat up.
1st lap, always just go slow, like causally driving slow. It's damn hard to do sometimes, I just want to pin-it, but it's better than going off course or hitting cones and you can gradually bring it all up to temp and speed. We have a few races where the temp of the pavement will be at or slightly less than freezing, it'll heat up in the day, but damn it makes a huge difference when your tires get warm. The thing that makes tires warm is braking :)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Man I just got back from a quick hike. Flicked one off on the walk and just found two crawling on my leg here at home before jumping in the shower.

Did have to go through this shoulder high crap for a bit though.

Pretty odd hike too. Went to an old old spot where we had some trails, which is on the edge of private property. It's down a steep little valley, so other than the odd foot prints, I've never actually bumped into anyone down there over the last decade.

As soon as I got to this sketch bridge, I heard a buzzing and could tell there was a drone flying overhead. It hung around for a moment and then took off. I was expecting to find the land owner there somewhere and was prepping to explain why I ventured onto the property...

Then I hike up the far side of the valley and find this hole in the ground. I wonder what for? Dead body, someone digging for gold, ??. Had the camera in wide perspective mode there which skews it a bit, but it's cut into a very steep hill. The deep side is about 4-5 feet deep. Couldn't really see where all the displaced dirt was.

Hogs will do this. Except for the stones being placed out of only one side of the trench instead of both sides.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
1st lap, always just go slow, like causally driving slow. It's damn hard to do sometimes, I just want to pin-it, but it's better than going off course or hitting cones and you can gradually bring it all up to temp and speed. We have a few races where the temp of the pavement will be at or slightly less than freezing, it'll heat up in the day, but damn it makes a huge difference when your tires get warm. The thing that makes tires warm is braking :)
100%. I got a text from the dad we bought the kart from a little while ago asking how the race went. I gave him the run down and he agreed - if the kid is shaken up they just become a danger to themselves; no need to force it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Bought plants, dug holes, stuck the plants in. May dig them back out and raise the dirt level in the bed, unsure. Probably just gunna get the watering level wrong and kill them anyway, at least I found the cheap nursery that has nicer succulents than Lowes for less than 1/2 the price, so I can do it twice and still break even.

Rode bikes,got my ass handed to me. Been meaning to replace my front tire for about three months, I think we’ve finally reached the point of negative grip. Legs were largely dead too.

Took the kid grocery shopping and let him pick out a treat, he chose broccoli, WTF?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah fine not all of us live in a rainforest penninsula thing.

I mean not all serial killers live in a rainforest penninsula thing.
Pretty sure you have a large body of water nearby, and bears. Bears will take care of things for you.