Quantcast

sunday gfmt

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
People at Costco really don't like it when you're parked pole position, just sitting in the back of your car eating lunch.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah make the waddling fatties have to walk 20 extra steps...so how long did someone idle behind you before they honked or knocked on your window?
We were in the hatch. Just sitting/standing there. Honking, "are you leaving?", "How long are you going to be?", Etc.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I just cracked the Cush core tire butt plug. Magic Mary SG is a tough biatch.
I feel like I was given a false sense of victory by how easy the cushcore/contis were to install given all I read/heard.

I'm assuming first tire removal attempt will more than make up for it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
wait, you guys are spending $150 for a set of tire inserts :eek:

Glad I don't flat more than once a year and still run tubes so no worries about dinging an aluminum rim
I *still* find the whole thing comical. I ran tubes up until 3-4 years ago, and part of me wishes i still did.

First it started as tubeless is lighter and you can run lower pressures. But at 240lbs (insert JK remark here) I couldn't run any lower pressures anyway or I'd be hitting rims constantly. Now there's rim inserts to compensate for the rim smashingness. So between sealant and inserts, you're now heavier than tubes, and when you do flat, it's infinitely more of a PITA to fix. Granted that does happen much less frequently.

Bottom like, all options suck.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I *still* find the whole thing comical. I ran tubes up until 3-4 years ago, and part of me wishes i still did.

First it started as tubeless is lighter and you can run lower pressures. But at 240lbs (insert JK remark here) I couldn't run any lower pressures anyway or I'd be hitting rims constantly. Now there's rim inserts to compensate for the rim smashingness. So between sealant and inserts, you're now heavier than tubes, and when you do flat, it's infinitely more of a PITA to fix. Granted that does happen much less frequently.

We weigh about the same bro

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Things aren't made for our size. Even "light" me is 225#. Low tire pressure where I'm not concerned about rims is 32ish, which is still high. On a 29" wheel with 1.5-ply front, 2-ply rear, and heavy enduro rims, that shit is heavy. The idea of through another how much from inserts and it starts to get ridiculous. My bike is already hard enough to ride uphill; I don't need assistance making it harder.

Add that the wheelbase for modern geometry on an xl enduro bike is longer than my Yeti DH bikes', which were the longest bikes available from ~'98-'08, it's rough climbing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I ride around 35psi too and all my lighter friends think I'm crazy, but you have to otherwise you're fucking up rims constantly.

The only reason I went with inserts on the new bike is the carbon rims and is going to be run with lower pressures and on rougher/faster trails. I would never run them on a true all mountain/trail bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ride around 35psi too and all my lighter friends think I'm crazy, but you have to otherwise you're fucking up rims constantly.

The only reason I went with inserts on the new bike is the carbon rims and is going to be run with lower pressures and on rougher/faster trails. I would never run them on a true all mountain/trail bike.
Even with inserts I still run close to 30psi.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I feel like I was given a false sense of victory by how easy the cushcore/contis were to install given all I read/heard.

I'm assuming first tire removal attempt will more than make up for it.
Actually, no inserts here. The SG MM is impossible to seat without a tube in, and installing the tire with a tube is .. challenging. Last time I broke 4 tire levers doing so, this butt dildo has fared much better so far but I'll likely break it soon, too.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why do you guys not go full DH tire tubeless? Same weight, less hassle.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Older 26" Lyriks can be found as 1 1/8 for cheap.
I bought a Lyrik when it first came out. Had to warranty the first one due to bad bushings. Then I had to warranty the second due to a creaking CSU. Then I had to warranty the third due to a creaking CSU. Then I sold the 4th. That fork spent more time at Rock Shox than on my bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still have the Turner, but its been relegated to museum piece for a few years, owing to my acquisition of an SB5 in 2016.

Turner shall be built back up some day, when I can acquire an appropriate 6" travel, 26" wheel, 1 1/8" steerer tube fork with a 20mm axle.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I bought a Lyrik when it first came out. Had to warranty the first one due to bad bushings. Then I had to warranty the second due to a creaking CSU. Then I had to warranty the third due to a creaking CSU. Then I sold the 4th. That fork spent more time at Rock Shox than on my bike.
That site is unmanageable on a phone, but it seems awesome.

Tim you should try to find a 66rc that isn't beat to shit. There can't be many, but they must pop up on occasion, and likely cheap.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That site is unmanageable on a phone, but it seems awesome.

Tim you should try to find a 66rc that isn't beat to shit. There can't be many, but they must pop up on occasion, and likely cheap.
Yea the sites a mess on mobile, and it doesn't seem like you can actually order anything. You have to call and talk to the guy (kinda like a certain hub manufacturer) but from what I've heard the guy has a pretty extensive collection/inventory.